Skip to Content

Fuel Advice needed

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
BushKrazy

Petrol : info / discussion

Unread postby BushKrazy » Sun May 29, 2011 7:31 pm

This may be a little hard to answer but when working out a budget I thought... how much for petrol should be allocated. Whats other forumites average consumption? :huh:
June/July TR here http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=54133&start=30

DinkyBird

Re: Petrol...the necessary evil

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sun May 29, 2011 7:40 pm

Hi! We drive a 4x4 in the Park (not very eco friendly I know :redface: ) and with the slow speeds we do in the Park we average about 14k/l (diesel). We seem to average about 100km a day in the Park.
Sawubona
Dalene

BerkiSA

Unread postby BerkiSA » Sun May 29, 2011 8:30 pm

I regularly rent cars (nissan tiida, opal corsa, polo etc) and drive around the park.

Usually I use around 6L per 100kms and we drice around 200kms per day (a lot!). Petrol is also around 25c more in the park I find.

Hope this helps!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

o-dog
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby o-dog » Tue May 31, 2011 11:04 pm

In 2009 Drove a golf chico 1.4L and got amazing consumption out of it...800km per tank of 50 litres.
ie 16km/1litre
In June 2010 drove pajero 3.5litre and got about 12-13km/litre.

As Bush Baptist does, we do many km in the park especially if you have far off destinations you want to see. So in summer often 250-300 km/day.
But my cousins like to take it more easy and do 150km day. I'd take an average of the two and also budget on 200km day.

So would say R150-R200 depending on if you want to drive big areas or not :thumbs_up:
Mana Pools: 11th - 20th Oct
KNP: 27th Nov - 5 Dec

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Tue May 31, 2011 11:16 pm

o-dog wrote:In 2009 Drove a golf chico 1.4L and got amazing consumption out of it...800km per tank of 50 litres.

Remember that you are not flying off the starting line (the green light), no or almost no overtaking... Very unlike town driving, The car will do what it's advertised by, low consumption, often only idling.
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:23 am

I drive a Honda CR-V and spend pretty much most of the day on the road. That includes lots of stopping at dams and scenic spots. I top up about every third day and it costs about R400. I tend to do a lot of gravel which might also add on a bit of extra usage.

A word of warning, always carry cash for petrol. I have been caught in predicaments when the electricity has failed and my card could not be used. Never go too low on fuel. Again, I have been in situations where a camp has run out of petrol in busy seasons and I have had to get to garages outside the Park. I have also seen many reports of nail biting moments by people caught off guard.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Re: Diesel Prices in Kruger

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:49 pm

Fuel prices have always been a bit more expensive in the park. It is just skewed, and more noticeable, now that fuel is more than 10 bucks a litre.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Lawrence

Unread postby Lawrence » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:31 pm

Four years ago diesel in the park traded at a discount to the majority of recognised competitors brodering the park. Three years ago prices were equal. Recently diesel is sold at more than those competitors.

Currently diesel is R10.26 per liter in the park (some of the most expensive in the country) and R9.83 per liter in JHB. i.e. a 4.4% premium in the park.

Weltenman
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Weltenman » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:15 am

Could the extra cost not be down to the contract with SANParks and the fees involved that needs to be paid for the rights to the petrol stations in the Parks? It has been mentioned that the cost of fuel has always been more expensive in Kruger.
Study the past, if you would divine the future.
Confucius

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:38 am

I believe you are correct there Weltenman .

Also that the petrol price is regulated (fixed) by the government , the diesel price though is not regulated .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Dupacc
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Fuel Advice needed

Unread postby Dupacc » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:33 am

ecojunkie wrote:Low sulphur diesel is now available throughout KNP! .

:clap: :clap: For me this is good news! Many manufacturers nowadays specify 50 ppm Diesel as the only fuel to be used in their newer vehicles.
Dupacc

I will join in the song, because I know why I sing. Soli Deo Gloria

Dupacc
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Re:

Unread postby Dupacc » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:18 pm

ockiev wrote:I drive a Chev Aveo with a 50L tank, City trafic avg 450Km, open road 500 - 550Km and in kruger 700 -750Km. :naughty:

I find this very interesting: my car (Audi A6 3.0 TDi) consumes just about the the same quanitities of fuel in Kruger as in city traffic - about 10l/100km (10km/liter), while on the open road it goes as low as 6l/100km (16.4km/liter). It is thus easily 40% heavier on fuel in Kruger than on the open road.

I guess it has to do with a heavy vehicle stopping and pulling away? And does it mean that a vehicle with a smaller engine or less torque finds it more difficult to cruise on the open road? :hmz: :hmz:

It will be interesting to calculate the actual costs in terms of fuel used by the two vehicles mentioned: with 55 liters I travel the 450 km to KNP from home and have enough left to do another 250-300 km in Kruger. How much will the Aveo use to travel 450 to KNP and then do a day's travel in the park? :roll: :roll: :hmz: :hmz:
Dupacc

I will join in the song, because I know why I sing. Soli Deo Gloria

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Fuel Advice needed

Unread postby ndloti » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:32 pm

Seems driving habits & patterns decide consumption .
It may be that in the above mentioned case in the KNP the Aveo drives at a more constant speed than the Audi if more stop starting is done consumption may be far higher .
I experience the same pattern as Dupacc, though if I drive a diesel at a constant speed (such as in the Kgalagadi when commuting between the camps & entrance gate at a speed that irons out corrugations) the consumption is very low .
I think turbodiesel engines are generally not as economical as petrol engines in the stop / go mode as the turbo requires some time to spool up and become effective the management system injects extra diesel to overcome this - thus the puff of smoke often seen om pulling away .
The Audi turbodiesel engine is generally far more economical on the open road at cruising speeds than a the Aveo with petrol engine would be.
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Wildtrack

Clean Diesel in Kruger Park

Unread postby Wildtrack » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:14 pm

Is 50PPM diesel available at the filling stations inside Kruger Park?

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Clean Diesel in Kruger Park

Unread postby ndloti » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:52 am

Over the last 10 days I noticed that neither Mopani or Shingwedzi display the sulphur content as required - the pump attendant at Mopani was not able to give a defenetive answer as to what the sulphur content was .

Return to “Kruger National Park”