Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Lessons in reversing up North
Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:16 pm 

:lol: I think many of us have had lessons in reversing in Kruger! 8)

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:19 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The best way to learn how to reverse with a trailer on is in this situation. You only get one chance to get it right!

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:32 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

If I can, I get past and watch from beyond, or I inch along until I see the mood. If it is angry, I wait until I can get past, or reverse and go another route.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:33 pm 

I have noticed that the elephants up north are not as friendly as the ones in the south. The elephants in the South seem to be more tolerant of vehicles, i'm sure this is a result of there being more traffic in the south.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:46 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I've had an 'altercation' as good as any, on the S25, the Crocodile River road.

Post subject: Re: Wilder Animals up North?
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The animals especially the elephants up north are a bit wilder or a bit more skittish (the bokke) in my personal opinion – There are some big and grumpy elephants north of the Letaba River including the one’s a person could encounter driving the gravel road towards the Shimuwini Bushveld Camp :doh: .

leopard74 wrote:
60% of my elephant encounters in the north ended in me praying

Very appropriate :hmz: in some cases up north when a pesrson encounter grumpy elephants - :pray:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:11 pm 

SO and I were in the park in October/November and definitely noticed a difference in the temperament between the North and South Ellies.

We were quite surprised when we went out on a morning drive from Berg-en-Dal and came across a Mummy and baby and the ranger pulled up right next to them without any trouble at all - something we would definitely not try with an Ellie up North.

26/10/14 Tsendze
28/10/14 Letaba
30/10/14 Satara
03/11/14 Maroela
05/11/14 Satara
07/11/14 Berg-en-Dal
10/11/14 BOO HOO TIME - Off Home

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

As some of you know, I spend almost all my time in Kruger in the far north. I don't think the differences are that great. There is of course less traffic in the north, and therefore more animals who are not all that used to vehicles, but most animals get habituated to cars surprisingly fast (and to pedestrians in camps too, for that matter). This goes for almost all species, but is especially true for elephants and lions. From the moment game viewing vehicles start using roads and tracks regularly, it usually only takes a few weeks or months for most local sedentary animals to accept them and relax. Note that I'm not talking about hundreds of cars using a single tar road from morning to evening here, but about at most half a dozen vehicles pottering about in 28,000 hectares. That's all it takes.

You get grumpy elephants in the north as you do elsewhere, but the vast majority are completely relaxed around vehicles. If you behave sensibly, they will readily accept and ignore you. I recall an evening last November when we stopped and switched off the engine as a large breeding herd approached in the light of a full moon. They surrounded us for over forty minutes whilst feeding or just standing around, several of them coming close enough to brush against the vehicle. Game viewing doesn't get much better than that!

The lions in the north are as blasé about cars as they are down in the south. I do, however, occasionally encounter lions that have obviously rarely, or perhaps even never, seen a car before. Usually nomadic males, but not always. Funny thing is that I've had several such sightings on the H1-8 which carries quite a lot of Pafuri border traffic between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Last year I found 12 lion cubs playing in the road, under the watchful eye of two females. The cubs stared at me in wide-eyed amazement, and then carefully investigated the vehicle with a mixture of fear and curiosity in their eyes, onces in had switched the engine of and sat motionless in silence long enough. The females, however, immediately left the road upon my arrival, retreated into the bush and watched me warily from some distance.

The elephants of the Pafuri, by the way, range far and way, especially the bulls. The move as far north as Gonarezhou, and as far south as Shingwedzi. Try googling “Makuleke Transboundary Elephant Movements”.

Johan

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Johan, in both the incidents that you relate here, you make a very important point, IMO, in that you in both cases had turned your vehicle's engine off -- that is what FAR too many KNP visitors are reluctant to do, failing to understand that engine noise irritates the animals they wish to observe, especially elepants.

I too have had some amazing encounters with elephants -- particularly with breeding herds in Mapungubwe, where I simply switched my engine off and just waited and was amazed by how near to me cows with very small calves chose to pass. Unforgettable!

Such experiences are rarer in KNP, even in the north, simply, I expect, because there are more tourists with both less patience and less knowledge of how to behave around elephants.

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

arks wrote:
you make a very important point, IMO, in that you in both cases had turned your vehicle's engine off
Yes, plus another equally important point: let the elephants come to you.

Don't drive right up to them, hit the brakes, talk loudly, shove cameras out the windows, gesticulate and keep your engine running.
Instead, find a suitable spot at a suitable distance, switch off, sit quietly and wait.
It is in my experience not necessary to freeze, as long as you don't make sudden movements it is fine to look around, etc.

If you do it right, the elephants may or may not come to you.
If they don't, then tough, and better luck next time.
If they do, it is just so cool! I've had a trunk shoved literally in my face, and then been sniffed all over for several minutes.
On of the interesting things about that was that the elephant (an old bull) whilst smelling intently blew out a very fine spray of saliva.
It was not smelly or sticky, but I did have to clean my glasses afterwards.

I also recall an instance of ending up in the middle of a herd of 60+ who were in a great state of agitation. The herd had blundered into a lion kill, and the lions had sensibly scattered.
I walked down into the river and found one of them pressed hard against the riverbank, with me on one side and over 60 enraged elephants on the other.
That lion sure didn't look comfortable. Two more lions were hiding in the bush.
There was only one track out, which took us right through the herd.
We did this very slowly, stopping often for as long as necessary. It took us something like forty minutes to make our way out.
The guy who was driving knew exactly what he was doing, so we were cool, but the elephants were going berserk all around us.
Running to and fro in a frenzy, trumpeting loudly and often, doing all the flapping and head shaking stuff, etc. etc.
All of this within meters of the vehicle, and on all sides.
They were upset about the lions, not us, but I think all the other people on the vehicle were scared completely out of their minds.
To this day, I’m surprised that nobody had a heart attack there and then. I loved every second of it.

Johan