Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Starting your Kruger day ....
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:35 am 

The early mornings in Kruger are very special to me. Almost sacred.

I love to wake before any sign of dawn, and be outside, with coffee brewing, and watch the dawn break, watch the sun rise, listen to the bushveld wake up and the birds start to sing their songs for the day.

If I do not start my day like this, I feel cheated. And it is only after this ritual that I start to plan the rest of the day.

How do you start your Kruger day?

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject: Re: Starting your Kruger day ....
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:43 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Off to the shower in the morning darkness.
Then make my cuppa coffee and stand around listening to the bush coming alive. (staring into the bush if im lucky enough to have a campsite at the fence)
Get in car
Out the gate.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:58 am 

Alarm goes off, put kettle/water on for coffee, ablutions and dress, fill flask, grab flask, rusks, camera and bins and out of the gate. Drive for about 1/2 hour to a water hole or some other quiet place and drink coffee and eat rusks with the windows down, listening to the world waking up. Bliss.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:15 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Nice topic DB :thumbs_up:

Ours is quite similar, wake up early and then head to the showers, come back to fetch the flasks and off to the kitchen to fill them. Then tidy the car, pack the cooler with stuff for stopping to make breakfast at a picnic spot and then we wait at the gate for it to open. While waiting for the gate to open we sort out camera equipment and clean everything.Then like saraf drive untill we find a nice quiet spot either at a waterhole or even just watching a herd of impala and have coffee and rusks while listening to the sounds. Magical!

Only problem is now i feel even more kruger sick :wall:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:17 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I like to get up approximately one hour before gate opening time, yawn on the patio while having a huge stretch, makes some coffee for the angels to wake them up and a flask of coffee for the road. While I'm doing that I'm boiling eggs for the road and get the "padkos", snacks and cooler-box ready.

While doing all of this I'm enjoying the early morning and thanks our Creator for having the opportunity to enjoy His creation. After that it's time for a shower and off we go!!! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

WHOOP...WHOOP...only 30 days then we will be there!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart, mind and soul on an early morning drive close to Satara, unfortunately the body is in CPT!
Oh, lovely thread....

Wake up about 45min before gate opening time, having showered the previous evening and got everything ready (fortunately my SO is very organised and usually tidies and clean while I give our boys a shower etc)
We, SO and I, get dressed in half darkness allowing our boys an extra few minutes of sleep, I carry them into the car, we drive to wait in front of the gate. If I do not wait in front of the gate, the day just isn't complete....
SO provides all sorts of pre-breakfast munchies for the road...

I NEED TO GO NOW....CANNOT STAND TALKING ABOUT THIS ANY LONGER.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:41 pm 

At home SO makes me coffee every single morning. So it would be safe to say, I ease into my day with a cuppa in bed. In KNP, it is a bit different. I like to be up and about first. Make coffee and stand outside (like DB) drinking coffee and listening to the "night sounds" give way to the "day sounds."

Grab a quick shower and head out of the gates to a picnic spot for brunch after game driving aound a bit. My trip is usually sort of pre planned, so each day I know roughly where I will be headed, although I am happy to say this is not cast in stone.

The rest of the day is usually also some kind of ritual. Maybe an afternoon nap, but definitely, without fail, a late afternoon trip to the closest water hole and sit there sipping a sundowner. Watching the sun sink low in the sky.

Back to camp, light fire and have another sundowner. Watch the sun set and drink in the sounds of day becoming night. I especially love camps with big trees because I imagine the birds talking to each other about how their day has been.

Also have a particular affinity with any time of the day when there are no cars driving around. Just the sounds of nature and her fine symphonic orchestra.

Think next time I go to KNP, I will set my alram for very early and wake up to enjoy the day, before any other humans are up and about.

DB has planted a seed that needs to be nurtured. Best I plan a trip sometime real soon to try this.

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Sounds just like my start to the day :) Except when a certain newly teenaged boy accompanies us, then it's marimba bands, sprayed water, tickle threats and a crane to get him out of bed before we can go anywhere!!

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

Travel Tales - Jaxi's and Porridge's 4th adventure

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:02 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Open eyes and listen to the pre dawn sounds.

Fill flask with water and just sit, still listening.

sigh

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You all make me feel so ordinary, no fancy rituals etc -- as a photographer, I LOVE the early morning light, so MUST always be out when gates open, and just drive around slowly, soaking in the beautiful, delicate colours.

In order to achieve this, I pack everything in the previous evening, so my wife and I can just fill the flask and hop into the car after our early morning devotions in our warm beds.

Of course I am looking, looking for some creature to appear on the scene in that magical golden light, maybe kicking up dust, breathing backlitten vapour in the cold morning air -- mostly there is no creature, but I enjoy the special light anyway. Then have breakfast at a picnic sight before the others arrive -- how lovely to just have the whole place to yourself -- especially Mlondozi dam (later in the day it is chaotic, and I just run away!).

Still need to get used to Kruger -- spoiled horribly with Zim parks, where you have it all to yourself!

A lovely end to the day last July in Lower Sabie -- wife and I made a fire and roosterkoeke in the picnic spot for Day Visitors while the full moon rose over the trees! Nobody to bother us -- people must have thought we were lost or mad, but lovely anyway.

Will be there next Friday!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart, mind and soul on an early morning drive close to Satara, unfortunately the body is in CPT!
Friedrich von Hörsten wrote:
Will be there next Friday!

Was it really necessary to include this? :hmz:

Anyway, enjoy :thumbs_up: and please share some special :cam:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:39 pm 

Can't wait for our August trip to enjoy the beauty and smells of the morning :D - here in the city we never "enjoy" the early morning - rushing to get ready to go do battle with the traffic!

Love to wake up as the birds begin to stir - quietly make the first cup of coffee of the day for SO - then organise the flask for the drive while SO drags himself out of bed :roll: - all the munchies organised the night before - early morning drives extra special for me because of the great sacrifice SO makes for them :clap: - holidays to him means sleeping late :huh:

Bitterpan 2 - 4 Mar (might change)
KTC 4 - 7 Mar
TR 7 Mar

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:54 pm 

I am very much a night person. Always have been so it's not easy for me to peel myself from the sheets every day.

I do have to admit though, that morning is a very special time of day. One part of my daily route takes me past a place where bamboo grows wild and there are literaly hundreds of birds nesting there. When all the cars have gone past (a brief lull in the early am traffic), I love to hear the sounds of them chirping and chattering away. It is one of the things I miss when I have to drive to work.

Since KNP is such a special place, the early mornings are just that much more special.

Have no choice but to agree with the broom wielding angle who started this delightful thread. :tongue: :thumbs_up:

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:01 pm 

Get up early, make coffee, sit outside (wraped in a blanket) and let my sould dance to the music of the bush! :D

[b]Unforgettable Adventures and Memories . . . . Metsi Metsi - March 2011[/b]
[url]http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=51559[/url]

27.12 - 31.12 (Shingwedzi)
01.01 (Tamboti)
02.01 - 03.01 (L.Sabie)
04.01 - 08.01 (Pretoriuskop)

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:59 pm 

Nice thread Dinky Bird! :thumbs_up:

Wake up at the first 'whoooooooop' of a hyena, or one hour before the gate open time if the hyena is a bit too early.

Whilst SO is in the bathroom, I pack the car and make us coffee. By the time I am finished, she is finished in the bathroom. I quickly jump into the shower whilst she tidys up a little and make sure we leave nothing behind.

A perfect morning would be waiting in my car at the camp gate, listening to the bushveld starting a new day with us and smelling the fresh air outside. The air is just that bit more crispy and fresh to me early mornings.

It is complete watching the sun come up at some nice river loop road or lookout point or something close to that sort.
A new day in the Kruger, and we woke up with her - BLISS!

1 Dec: Lower Sabie
2 Dec: Lower Sabie
3 Dec: Malelane
4 Dec: Malelane

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next