Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Starting your Kruger day ....
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:41 pm 

Please do Michel :thumbs_up:

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:43 pm 

Thanks DB. Will do so. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

My day starts before sunrise with rapid ablutions and coffee in a travel mug and out on the roads as early as possible. Breakfast at one of the picnic sites is a must! (was even photographed by a bus load of Japanese tourists on one occasion at Nkhulu. They could not believe what we were cooking on a skottle in the "middle of nowhere" :lol: :lol:)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:26 pm 

Hahaha.
Know another great story of a bus load of Japanese tourists photographing a buddy of mine, but it is not for this thread. :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:02 pm 
Hey, this is one of your better threads, Madam! :thumbs_up:

Some horrible bird normally wakes me up...I have a personal hatred for hadedas! :evil:

Then it is slow chaos to try and get going, depending on the company...

But coffee and rusks are a given...always! (Eish, must be 25 years now! :shock: )

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:03 am 

Pack the fridge with the days "pad-kos" the night before, rise at the crack of dawn and start with coffee and rusks, get out and check the weather...see if the stars are out if it's overcast (not that it really matters :lol: ). Then get dressed and ready, pack the spare battery that was on charge during the night and fill the flasks :) . Pack the car and get to the gate :) :dance: :) once through the gate just drive till it is about 7 or 8 and then start to find a place to have a coffee and the good old bacon, egg and tomato sandwich made for the breakfast (this is a tradition :wink: ), the place doesn't need to be where animals are just a nice scenery will do :D .

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Because we stay up very late at night, into the morning hours, we take it easy at sunrise. Except when we've made plans to go out on a trip far up north or down south (getting up very early for that), we take it easy in the mornings. We never sleep late, but many times when we lazily wake up, half the campers are already gone. We hang around drinking coffee, enjoying the peace in the quiet camp, watch the birds, animals coming to the fence, walk to the shop or go eat a breakfast at the restaurant.
Most times though it is off onto the roads on a hype, excited and eager not only to see animals but also to go discover new roads and places. We search for quiet areas.
We take it easy all round because any given day out of thirty we can suddenly decide anything!
Early morning, sunrise, like many mites have described already, is mostly stared at and listened to in awe nearly all the time.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:22 am 

I totally agree with you DinkyBird with the fact that mornings are sacred. They are just that for me too. Once I wake up (used to be at gate opening times), lately whenever I wake up. I view the outside from my 'stoep', take in all the sounds and smells, then make a cup of coffee and just soak it all in. Last year August we stayed at Croc Bridge and I woke up first as usual. Our view was toward the fence. It was very early (around 5.30am) when I saw a mother rhino and her youngster walking from the river back up past the camp. There was no-one else in sight and I sat silently (almost not breathing) watching them move in silence, sometimes stopping with their ears turning in all directions. I knew if I had to go back inside the bungalow to call anyone, the noise of the door might scare them off so I just soaked it all in - just me and the rhinos. Oh, and the most beautiful sight of course was that the early morning mist was lying low over the feld from the river and the sun was just about coming out - watching these two animals was almost ghost like figures. But awesome nonetheless. I make a point now of taking my camera outside with me at all times. One never knows.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Awesome thread DK 8)

I am a night owl so in other parts of the world I don't get up early besides Kruger. It depends on who I'm with in Kruger, if it's friends then we all wake up when the birds start to chirp, the sun starts to peek out and the bathroom calls. Or I will get up early for a morning walk with the rangers :D

If it's with family we usually take it very easy, sitting outside, drinking coffee, eating mom home made rusks and waiting for the kids to get ready. Otherwise I will go on my own for a quick drive when the gates open.

I'm not usually there when the gates open first, it's such a rush sometimes. I like to take it easy, open my window, drink some "gummy bear juice" and just enjoy the peace and sights. I've seen more animals later in the morning than early in the morning.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:51 am 

Bump!

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:05 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Can't remember if I've posted here before, but it may have changed anyway!!!

Option1
Up at stupid o clock.
Grope way to shower with eyes refusing to open.
Dungie makes coffee and fills flask while I'm abluting.
I then get frozen water bottles out of freezer, biscuits (we don't get the rusk thing, but I've said we'll try again next visit!!), binocs, camera, books, maps, etc while Dungie ablutes.
Drive to nearest waterhole and enjoy!!

Option 2

Up at stupid o clock.
Make coffee and sit on stoep, watching the river view from our unit and early morning animals and birds.
After a long time, shower and dress, before either packing up, or having breakfast.

Oh now DB......look what you've done!!!!!
Made me wish I was there again!! :twisted: :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:42 pm 

I usually arise 1hour before gates open, make a cuppa while the SO catches a few more zzzzz's. Sit on the deck with a rusk or 2 and then head for a shower. On return, wake the SO, pack the breakfast basket and pack the car. When the SO returns it's in the car and head to the first picnic spot for a bacon and egg breakfast, with a G&T or 2!

Oops.... Can't do that anymore... :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:21 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
How did I miss this one?

1. The alarm goes. I am fully awake in 4 nanoseconds.
2. Get up & wake my dad/wife/other companions and tell them it is really morning even though it looks like the amiddle of the night.
3. Put something on and go to the ablutions.
4. Empty me and fill tha flask. No it is not what you are no thinking :twisted:
5. Wake the rest up again.
6. Get the food for the day/morning into the car, and any other stuff we might need.
7. Drag the sleeping companions into the car.
8. Drive to the gate.
9. Wait for opening time with a coffee.

GO!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:54 pm 

Well, I know the importance of the first hour after gate opening time for spotting the transition of nocturnal animals to day time dwellers. So I'm generally at the gate 45min before gate is opened.

You can enjoy the park sounds at the gate, if you are lucky you may hear lion roaring and you may have to adjust your thought out routes.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:07 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Wake up, usually just before the alarm goes off.
Make coffee for both of us.
Take coffee outside, grab a chair and enjoy the sounds and sights of the bush waking up (while smoking a cigarette)
When coffee is done shower and dress.
Another coffee (I like waking up) and an unmentionable whilst the wife is having her shower.
Grab photogear and food/drink supply, books and such, and load it into the car in the way we like it.
Doublecheck, and get in the car.
Out of the gate to see... :?:
And find empty roads as most people left just 15/30 minutes before us, but it has become shooting light now, and we are totally relaxed.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next