Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Starting your Kruger day ....
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:52 pm 

I'm a Latte girl..have sachets stuffed in every crevice of my bag when I travel! Sitting outside sipping one while listening to the sounds of the bush in the morning...bliss! Plus if I haven't had one first thing in the morning then life's not worth living for my other half, so this early morning ritual is never compromised! :P

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:56 pm 

DinkyBird wrote:
MATTHYS wrote:
:D Your SO make homemade rusks, DB ? :wink:
Still trying to teach him how Matthys :slap:

:slap: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We have one of those tiny (6 pack) coolerbags packed with Nescafe, rooibos tea, "normal" tea , hot chocolate, and those lovely Nescafe Cappachino sachets along with Cremora, sugar, tiny boxes of longlife milk and our "can't do without" tin of condensed milk - drunk only when camping but cannot exist without it :lol: . This caters for all our various tastes as well as anyone we go camping with. We just fill our 2 flasks from the Quickhot points in the kitchens, chuck the tins of homemade rusks and biscuits in the car and we are ready to go....

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:44 am 

Routine is pretty much - that same as everyone else. Set the alarm - but hope to get up before it goes off!! Put the kettle on - only drink tea first thing in the morning, but make coffee up in a flask, to have later. Set about making food - too take with us also. Enjoy our cuppa whilst listening to the daybreak. Quick shower, dress, load the car, and we're off. Bliss.....

Smartiepants

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:17 pm 

Hi everyone.
We are leaving next Sunday for Kruger. Going to Kruger as from 95 with SO and 2 kids.
We get up in the mornings go for a shower, have some coffee and rusks, full the flask up with hot water pack the picknick backet and (home made bicketts is always in the bakkie) of we go for the day.
Must say I'm getting very exited for next week.

Have a nice weekend :dance: :cam:
Kwagga 1

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I get up before the other family members :wink: Then I sneak outside with a cup of coffee and enjoy the sound of the bush :mrgreen:

Kamadejo returns to KNP after 7 years
Balm for the Soul

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:08 pm 

Scouter wrote:
.../and our "can't do without" tin of condensed milk - drunk only when camping but cannot exist without it :lol: .
Same here - we always treat ourselves to condensed milk in our coffee when camping!

I must say, I never find it difficult to wake when in Kruger - the anticipation of the day ahead gets me up and out of bed.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:18 pm 

Oh dear. All these posts make me feel a bit guilty - I am seldom out of the gate early unless going on the long trip to Crooks Corner. My job consists of meeting deadlines - so when I am in KNP part of the joy is only having to watch one time - gate closing. This means we rise when we feel like it, leave camp when we feel like it, eat when we are hungry, and switch off the cell phone (another devil from work). But like most of the others my faithful standby is instant coffee and rusks, which taste best taken at a waterhole or picnic site (before the rush arrives). I must admit I enjoy an early morning stroll around camp before people are up - the birding is then great.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:45 pm 

pnm wrote:
.../so when I am in KNP part of the joy is only having to watch one time - gate closing. This means we rise when we feel like it, leave camp when we feel like it, eat when we are hungry, and switch off the cell phone (another devil from work).
I like the way you spend your days in Kruger, Pete.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:47 pm 

No need for an alarm.... I wake 1/2 hour before the sun rises. I quietly sneak outside, make a cup of coffee :lotsocoffee: , and watch the sun rise. I am like most of you, and I feel extremely lost if I don't start this way. Once the sun is up, I hit the showers and get to the gate when I can. I am not one of those people who line up waiting to be let out. Part of being in the park (for me) is the experience of watching the "shift change" of the wilderness....The night patrols (hyena, lion, nightjar, etc) heading home, and the day workers starting their day. It is just as special as sighting animals, at least to me. So what if I am not out of the gate until 6:30 or 7am? :D

I miss the park. Like an old lover, I have kept a sweater that I can't seem to wash, and occasionally wrap myself in it to absorb the smell of the park....

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:47 am 

I think this thread is really cool because I forgot how much I used to enjoy rusks with coffee and being abroad for so long I actually forgot they existed! :dance:
I couldn't think of a better way to start the day in Kruger and I'll even ditch my much favoured bacon sarnies on my next trip. :thumbs_up:
Do they still have those Karringmelk Ouma rusks in South Africa - they were my favourite?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:14 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mr M.T.Knife...

Dotty has an adress in the UK where you can buy Ouma rusks. Leave a message for her on the Good Morning thread (or PM her) and Im sure she will gladly give it to you :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:21 am 

I don't get the shower thing at o'dark thirty!
Plenty of time in the middle of the day to freshen up

My SO gets his diet coke ready :huh: and I make my coffee
Being a purist I brought my own french press with me and bought a tea kettle for boiling the water.
Starbucks makes instant coffee now in individual packets will try that out for my next trip in Sept,that has to be easier
Do love the rusks,wish we had them here in the states

2/25-27 Kieliekrankie
2/27-28 Grootkolk
3/1 Nossob
3/2 Twee Riveren
3/4 Mopani
3/5-7 Letaba
3/7-9 Lower Sabie
3/9-12 Biyamiti
3/13 Berg en Dal

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:07 am 

I am normally a night owl, but when in Kruger I don't have any trouble waking up early. Usually about 30 minutes before the gate opens. We dress, brush teeth etc., grab some water or juice from the fridge, a few snacks to tide us over until breakfast in a few hours, and are out the gate when it opens to enjoy the cool morning air on an early drive while watching the sun rise. (And hope to come across something spectacular to photograph in the early morning light). :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:57 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Early morning at Tambotie.

the opened tin is the previous nights supper of oysters :redface: forgot to throw it away. My alarm had been the call of the bush chicken. I sat until the sun brought shadows to the Timbavati river.

It was a time of reflective anticipation for what the day might bring.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next