Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Charging Elephants & evasive action! (Elephant Etiquette
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:40 pm 

Here's a little story to illustrate elephant education.
A number of years ago I was "involved" with a fairly small breeding herd.
The matriarch and I were well acquainted.
I had been living and moving with them for about 5 months on and off.
I was once again with them over a period of about a week with no problems except from a young bull who was getting near to the point of leaving the herd.
He used to rip small branches off trees and throw them at me, but nothing more serious that that.
One afternoon they were out in the open, crossing a wide area of veld when a huge bull (he had probably sired most of the younger animals in the herd) strolled across the veld.
The matriarch recognised him from miles away and stopped the herd to let him catch up.
By the way, we hadn't seen him for a while as he had typically gone walk-about on his own for 3 months.
Anyhow as he got close to the herd, the youngster got highly agitated and showed disrespect to the boss man by trumpeting, throwing sand, flapping his ears and stamping his feet.
The usual branch throwing followed and immediately the matriarch purposefully marched up to the hooligan, bumped him with her shoulder and laid her trunk over his neck.
He immediately stopped his performance.
All this while the bull was just standing there taking the whole scene in.
After a few minutes of "lecturing" from the matriarch, the youngster carefully approached the bull and gently reached out his trunk in apology as the matriarch looked on.
The bull then also laid his trunk over the youngsters neck and they stood there like that for about 10 minutes.
The old bull then strolled around amongst the herd gently greeting the older members of the herd one by one and returned to where the hooligan was standing quietly.
They stood head to head for a little while then almost as if a discussion had ensued and a decision had been made, the old boy turned and went back the way he had come.
the best part was that the hooligan was walking at his side. I watched them go for about 30 minutes until they disappeared over the rise.
You draw your own conclusions as to the intelligence, herd manners and respect that reigns within these families.
Like I've said here before....damn, I love those animals!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:20 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

TonyP wrote:
You draw your own conclusions as to the intelligence, herd manners and respect that reigns within these families.

Just shows how intelligent elephants really are. They need to be respected when you enter their territory. Great story on elephant education :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:12 pm 

In April just to prove a point (elephant not me) driving back to Skukuza from Tshokwane we came across a lone bull just walking down the road.
Being in the middle of the road I just kept my distance and followed slowly about my usual 50-70 behind.
This guy did not look in the least bit agro or hyped up in anyway.
The next minute he saw a speed sign board and as if someone had lit a fire cracker up his behind he charged it, grabbed and pulled it out the ground and threw it at an on coming car.
I was only quick enough to grab a photo of the sign board on the ground.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great sighting kevjones.

Obviously that car was speeding, and the elephant decided to remind the driver of the speed limits within the Kruger :tongue: .

But on a serious note, it is amazing how quickly them ellies can change, some times it's like you hit an on-or-of button.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:47 pm 

t-bal wrote:
Great sighting kevjones.

Obviously that car was speeding, and the elephant decided to remind the driver of the speed limits within the Kruger :tongue: .

But on a serious note, it is amazing how quickly them ellies can change, some times it's like you hit an on-or-of button.

Exactly, not that I am saying it is common but you just never know. Thats what makes the bush the most exiting place in the world. Everyday is different every sighting is different and surprises are waiting round every turn. The roads trees animals are never the same. I love it.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:14 pm 

Very similar of maybe even the same incident

katydownunder wrote:
Coming closer to Shingwedzi we met some Ellis.
And on one occasion had a good laugh.
This Elli was on the way to the entrance of the Mphongolo Loop, were he discovered something lying on the ground. He stopped, he was obviously curious what that might be.
He reached out with his trunk to grab it, he lifted it up, watched it, discovered that is was nothing to eat, threw it away and the Speed Limit sign landed with a bang. :lol:

Larger View

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

*****2014*****
Pretoriuskop 31 Oct-Nov2,
Skukuza Nov 03-06,
Orpen Nov 07-9,
Letaba Nov 10-13,
Oliphants Nov 14-17,
Satara Nov 18-25,