Skip to Content

Kruger in Winter.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
LizelleB

Re: Winter camping advice

Unread postby LizelleB » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:38 pm

Thank you Elsa and Tieroog! I am really looking forward to experience the park through the eyes of my boy and showing him everything. I love the story, Tieroog...what a wonderful spin on traffic! I usually find myself being in game spotting mode looooong after we return from the park and it is wonderful to hear a child appreciating the fact that one should LOOK for things instead of expecting them to be walking in the road. :clap:
Liz

║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌│║
© MΛDЄ IИ SOUTH ΛFЯICΛ ®

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:53 am

Tieroog :lol: :lol: :lol: that is very special.

Lizelle, my own experience of little ones has been that they seem to tolerate the weather much better than I do.

The advice so far has been good and I wish you a wonderful trip. I understand the homesickness.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Happy Snapper

Unread postby Happy Snapper » Sun May 03, 2015 8:19 pm

Well that sounds exciting for you all. I have been taking my son since he was 12 weeks old.0, so afew tips from my side.
1. Early mornings will be cold and evenings get cold as well in july. Not uncommon to drop to 4 to 10 degrees at night, daytime is 22 to 27 so very comfortable.
2. Schedule time in camp so he can run himself ragged at lunch time.
3. We found that taking a couple of new toys to help break the boredom of driving, about 1 new toy every 2 days worked for us.
4. Take clothes like pants made from parachute type material so he can get filthy and you can rinse and reuse easily. Dont try keeping him clean...it wont happen :dance:
5. It is dry and hot so keep him hydrated.
6. Watch him for side effects of the malaria meds :twisted: and while I am not advocating no meds our philosophy has always been people with kids who live there dont use them so we dont especially in low risk times like winter. Mosimite wipes we found worked well.
Have fun and enjoy your little boy and the life you can show him

Binkieloo

Unread postby Binkieloo » Sun May 03, 2015 9:36 pm

We are taking our son for the first time in August, so I'm going to follow this thread for more info too. Kyle will be 15 months at the time of our trip.

Happy Snapper thanks for the advice about the pants. I'm really not planning to try keep him clean, but that's a great suggestion.

I've discovered the rubberised socks at PnP clothing which I have bought a few pairs for K. I find that they are just more comfortable for him, and will protect agains thorns etc.
The B Squared - Bianca and Brian, and Kyle too!

Kruger trip with a 15 month old in tow BOOKED! :dance:
Camping: 24 - 30 Aug: Maroela
30 Aug - 5 Sep: Tsendze - our 1st time
5 Sep - 11 Sep: Balule - our fav
11 Sep - 12 Sep: Lower Sabie :D

spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby spargish » Mon May 04, 2015 11:30 am

Hi LizelleB

1. I have camped in winter numerous times. We camp in a tent(not sure if you are in a tent or caravan) so I will give you my experience in a tent. It all depends on the conditions when you are there in winter. I have experienced hot night and once in August after all the snow on the highveld 0 degrees at Tamboti.
* Keep an eye on exended weather reports before hand
* Nights will generally be cooler, long sleeve tops and pants probably required.
* Hot water bottles work wonders
* Sleep with a beanie on
* Days will most likely be shorts and t-shirt weather
* Lastly enjoy the trip :thumbs_up:
TR December Delights completed
TR Cricket Days and last nights of Summer now on

LizelleB

Unread postby LizelleB » Mon May 04, 2015 11:38 am

Hi Everyone, thank you so much for the great advice!!! :gflower:
Liz

║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌│║