Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: How did your love for Kruger start?
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:40 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Being 8
Waking up in Pretoriuskop and standing outside in my shorts during Easter watching the
mist disolve.
And the first drive hearing the zebra's and seeing them having playfull fights, kicking up a dust storm .
So my addiction started at a young age.
And being a bit older so my appreciated for Kruger keeps growing :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Melanie (mposthumus) , it can initially be a bit daunting to grasp the procedure - to make it easier think best ask a mod to assist , or if you forward the pics and the word doc each seperately to one of us via email (pm one of us for our email address) we may be able to assist and post on your behalf ?

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I cannot download the pictures in word format that mposthumus sent to me , but can assure you they will have been worth the wait once you see them posted .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:07 pm 

ndloti wrote:
I cannot download the pictures in word format that mposthumus sent to me , but can assure you they will have been worth the wait once you see them posted .

Just right click with the mouse on the picture and save the picture. Then get it to Tinypic or watever programm you use. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:29 pm 

Awesome reading! Evident that all it takes is to go there, Kruger will do the rest!

Myself? Went there more than half a century ago...

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:56 am 

Ndloti, thank you for all your trouble. JenB, DinkyBird, Bert thank you for offering to help.

Mel@nie

[b]Unforgettable Adventures and Memories . . . . Metsi Metsi - March 2011[/b]
[url]http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=51559[/url]

27.12 - 31.12 (Shingwedzi)
01.01 (Tamboti)
02.01 - 03.01 (L.Sabie)
04.01 - 08.01 (Pretoriuskop)

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:27 pm 

Hi Forumites

Have been reading for ages but when I saw this topic I had to add my two cents worth . . . and so I have finally joined!

We immigrated from England in 1966 when I was eight and my father decided to tour S.A. in a Kombi .I remember sleeping outside Numbi gate and being second in at the gate in the morning We took the Numbi loop and almost immediately saw a pride of eight lions. . .I was hooked for life. Unfortunately, my father didn't feel the same way and my next visit was some 13 years later.

After that I was a regular visitor and ended up marrying a ranger and being fortunate enough to live there for six years. My son was born whilst I was living there and in turn is an addict ( and so is his girlfriend)

Will be there in two weeks time.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:48 am 

My love for KNP began as a child - through my parents. My father started going in the early 60's. He also became one of the first few Honorary Rangers for KNP. One of the rules was that you visit often - which suited my dad of course :lol: any excuse to go again and again. My dad would stop to watch a certain animal and then tell me all about the life of this animal (even the dung beetle). Camp life in those days were where friendships were formed. I just loved going from then on with them of course, as it was a time where I learned more about animals which I already had a love for. In my younger years I remember seeing the big tuskers (ou 'aftand') as we called him. Lions at Leeupan and surrounds were sometimes so many one got tired of seeing them. Impalas herds were so big - one could not tell where the herd starts and ends. Lots of zebra and blou wildebeest as well as baboons and giraffe were seen. Nowadays it is a far cry from those days. If you see 10 or 20 impala in a herd - it's a lot. When my parents passed, I have kept going and 'introduced' Kruger to my kids who now insist we go every year. They too love it. I'm hoping to be healthy and strong enough to still take my grand children. They live overseas but one day - I will also 'introduce' them to Kruger.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:29 pm 

Hi all fellow forum addicts

After much sweat, the ocasional tear and a sleepless night, herewith my mother's "memories" as promised. Thank you DinkyBird for all your trouble and a big forum hug from me. All your help is highly appreciated. Your patience definitly exceeds the boarders of Kruger. So here it is.

“We visited Kruger Park for the first time on the 1st May 1950. My eldest daughter was 1 year old. We stayed at Pretoriuskop. It was still very primitive but oh so peaceful. We enjoyed it so much that we made it a yearly occasion in the winter. Yes, I remember the “old Kruger”. The communal ablutions, the big bon fires in the evening for the “braais”. The big black kettle always filled with boiling water. All so neat and clean.

Picture taken in Pretoriuskop

Of course the “padkos” provisions for the journey, was also a big issue. Hard boiled eggs, boerewors or frikkadelle, cheese and tomato sandwiches and in the thermos flask coffee made with condense milk. We use to leave at 1 o’clock in the morning to be at the gate opening time. The only stop on the way would be to fill up with petrol and feast on the “padkos”. My husband and my brother were great friends and we often visited Kruger together. The photo herewith is of his car. It was taken from our car. I don’t know what it is with elephants and black cars, but my brothers black car got chased quite frequently!!

If I remember correctly there was an entrance gate at Rabelais. Anybody remember it? And the steam train running through the Park? We one day drove along the Salitjie Road where we encountered a lioness carrying her new born cubs one-by-one across the road to another hiding place. That night around the campfire my husband told the others about our good fortune. Later that evening in the ablutions he over heard a man telling his friend that he doesn’t believe “daardie ou se storie” that man’s story, because lions don’t have their cubs this time of year. Unfortunately this is the only photo left of our encounter, as my husband send them to Custos that published them all.

Another morning just outside Satara gate we noticed something furry lying in the road. My husband stopped next to the object and picked it up. It was the tail of a jackal, but oh the smell was terrible, and very soon it landed outside the car again. One day a baboon stole a bar of soap from a tent. The owner said “I suppose he will be blowing bubbles today”. My small girl wanted to know “now how is he going to do that”?

When we visited Kruger, Skukuza was a definite stop. We even had our “reserved” camping spot, and would meet up again with friends made from previous years. In the evenings the children would finish their cores quickly not to miss the film, always wrapped in their blankets. Even when me and my husband went on pension and had to exchange the caravan for a bungalow, we used to walk past our old camping spot. Of course it no longer looks the same, the big old tree had to make way for improvements.

Our Ford Fairmont and Jurgens caravan ( Singwedzi? -not sure)

Lower Sabie? (not sure)

Our regular spot in Skukuza with the “service road” at the back

The old restaurant at Skukuza

As our children grew up and had children of their own, we also had the privilege of taking them to Kruger before they had to go to school. Such precious memories.

During June 2001 we were again visiting when my husband took ill and we had to return four days sooner. My daughter and son in law came to meet us at Phalaborwa gate as my husband was too weak to drive, and accompanied us back to Pretoria. At the gate my son in law took my husband to the ablution, and as he got back into the car, he looked back at the bush and with tears in this eyes waved good bye. He passed away a week later.

December of the same year (2001) my youngest daughter took me back to Kruger. We stayed at Orpen. One morning we took the S36 and a distance away from the road we saw two helicopters and some vehicles in the veld. At that stage we were the only car on the road. As we stopped, one of the officials beckoned us to come closer and explained that they were darting the buffaloes to take samples for TB. He invited us to stay and watch the process. The helicopters soon took off. All the buffaloes recovered quickly after their ordeal, but one was not so fortunate. According to the vet, the buffalo’s stomach contents pushed up into his throat as he was trying to get up, and he immediately dropped dead. The research group then again invited us to watch whilst they cut him open. I have never seen such a big and sharp knife in my entire life. The vet showed us the different organs and then took parts of the organs back for further tests. When they left we remained at the carcass. It didn’t take long for the vultures to discover it. We could see them floating down out of the sky landing next to the dead buffalo, and then they began devouring the meat. There were too many to count. I’d say it took them about an hour to strip the bones. They were so gorged by that time, some of them just flopped down on the ground, while some could hardly reach a nearby tree. I could identify Cape vultures, White back vultures, Lapped faced vultures and White headed vultures. A lonesome hyena came past, but soon left, I suppose he wasn’t interested in bare bones. We later went to Muzandzeni for a drink as it was extremely hot in the car by then. On our way back to the carcass we saw a leopard walking in the same direction and two jackals a distance from the carcass. But unfortunately we had to leave and head back for camp. We went back the next day but not a single bone was left. Something must have had a “bone feast” that night. Some vultures were in the trees, still to full to fly away.

I have so many happy memories that I can’t put it in writing. I remember the lovely trees, the water streams, the bush as a whole is unforgettable. I do not have a special place in Kruger. The whole Park is outstanding, but Pafuri Picnic Spot, Afsaal and Mooiplaas give me an extra special feeling. And of course the lovely people you meet, the friendly service we enjoyed over the years.

I am 85 years old and it is still as if I feel the urgent need to go there. These days my children, who has inherited the same passion for Kruger Park, are so kind as to take me with them whenever they go. I will accompany my eldest and youngest daughters from 13 to 25 June this year.

As the words from Galway Bay, this is also my sincere wish

“If ever there is going to be a life hereafter
And somehow I’m sure there’s going to be
I ask my Lord to make my heaven
In that dear land across the African bush”

Kindest regards

Another Kruger devotee”

Some more “old pictures” taken in Kruger

A “young” me

Me with all five our children and my husbands eldest brother and wife

Satara? (not sure)

Skukuza near the Museum

Some animals

This kill was about 3km from Skukuza camp right next to the main road

In the end dragged to the opposite side of the road

And this is what it looked like after a week.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wow, Melanie, what great memories - what a special place Kruger is. Wonderful to read your mother's stories and see those old pics :thumbs_up:

We also had a Jurgens like that - boy was it fun in those days!!!

Wonderful wonderful !!! :clap:

Member No. 15342
-----------------------

Last edited by Nungu on Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Wow mposthumus!! :clap: :clap:

Thank you very much for sharing your memories and photos. I have enjoyed reading your post tremendously!! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:20 pm 

TheunsH wrote:
Wow mposthumus!! :clap: :clap:

Thank you very much for sharing your memories and photos. I have enjoyed reading your post tremendously!! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Agree :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:02 pm 

thanks for that. Great pics and story.
Hope there are members out there with more stories like this
Would love to read them too.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:12 pm 

Melanie, what a stunning post!!! :clap: This was really good to read, if you have any more of those old pics please post them. :thumbs_up:

I see that you people were from Lyttelton, I was there for part of my primary school days. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:28 pm 

Melanie, this was really nice to read. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I am a big sentimental freak, so really enjoyed your post. :thumbs_up:
Like Sprocky said, if you do have any more 'olden days' photos, PLEEEEASE be so kind to post them.
It is so nice to see how great the Kruger was. (and is) :thumbs_up:

1 Dec: Lower Sabie
2 Dec: Lower Sabie
3 Dec: Malelane
4 Dec: Malelane

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next