Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: How did your love for Kruger start?
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:36 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Chip wrote:
My first visit to Kruger coincided with the retirement of Col. Stevenson-Hamilton and the famous Harry Wolhuter in 1946. My family consisted of 6 members, me being no. 6. Friends of my parents took us on a visit to the park in an old Plymouth. The problem was that the elderly couple sat in the front and my parents, brother, 2 sisters and I had to sit in the back. The cars in those days did however have more room that today. Most of the time, I am told, I was put on the back windowshelf and looked out as rear gunner.
Those were good days, only 20 years after the park was opened to visitors.

Chip , I would enjoy hearing about your experiences during the golden years .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Growing up right next to Kruger and as a little boy hearing lions at night whilst lying in my bed, ellies almost in our back yard sealed my fate.
Then the spur of the moment Sunday lunches at Letaba were a regular treat from my dad.
In those days wild dogs were a regular sighting near Phalaborwa gate, as well as sable and don't forget to look out for klipspringers in the koppies.
In primary school, it happened from time to time that a game ranger would arrive with a pangolin in his car's boot to show us kids, we were allowed to touch it. Sometimes it would be leopard or lion on the back of a bakkie (dead unfortunately) It was magic to touch it, pull the tail.. touch the teeth..
:D

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:30 pm 

:hmz: Started way back, as kids our folks took us on a month long holiday each year to see our country, would do between 6000 and 7000Km in that month :shock: , see the big towns as well as the small ones. Did the hole of SA that way as well as Namibia and other countries. When we did Eastern TV :tongue: back then we did the trip through Kruger and I must say that is where my love for it started.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:32 pm 

My dad has always loved the park. His first visit was to Lower Sabie camp when he was 11 yrs old. He is now in his late 80's. He and my mother took my brother and I up to the park from a young age and we went almost every week-end. We camped in every camp from top to bottom, always next to the fence and had a wonderful time. I love the park and spend 2 weeks in the area twice a year. My dad now lives in the Sabie Sands Game reserve. We go in for day trips and try to spend a few nights in the huts. My next trip is from 7_ 21 May 2010. I can't wait!!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I'm a born and bred Nelsparta (Nelspruit) and have been visiting the park since I was a tiny little peek squeak and a twinkle in my dad eye :wink:

I remember getting up early then eating cheese sandwiches on the way to park and eating lots and lots of sunrise toffees while in the park. One of my dad many hobbies is photographing so we spent lots of time with different animals. My earliest camp memory is that of Pretoriuskop (the swimming pool) and Skukuza (the vervet monkeys that chased us).

During my school years I only got to go with the school or friends/family. Then staying in LS one night with my mom we saw the hyena's patrolling the fence and being dead scared of them (I was probably 10). Also on a day trip with my aunt and cousins we saw a herd of Roan antelope but don't ask me where it was.

The love for Kruger has made my brother a game ranger for many years in Limpopo and me studying wild life management and game ranging...

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:02 pm 

My love for Kruger began with my father and mother already "addicts" since 1 May 1950 (my eldest sister was only 1 year old at the time).

Being the youngest of 5 children my father use to say that we all got fed mother's milk and love for Kruger at the same time. Meaning that we were all very small when first “introduced”. I can't remember when I first realised that we were actually only "visiting". It was such a part of our lives and in a sense part of growing up and a definite sense of belonging.

When we grew older my father wanted to broaden our horizons and introduced us to Rhodesia, South West Africa, Lorenzo Marks, Natal etc. etc. but none of us wanted to miss out on "our Kruger" holidays. It became our yearly (sometimes twice a year) holiday destination.

Memories are numerous (more about that later) and the love .... endless.

Our beloved father passed away 8 years ago at the age of 79 (visiting Kruger 3 weeks prior to his death). The love for and knowledge of Kruger that he instilled in all his children’s lives, lifes on in his grand- and great-grandchildren.

My mother (85 years), my eldest sister (60 years) and myself (50 years) will be in Kruger for our yearly visit from 13 to 35 June 2010. JIPPIEEEEEEEE!!!

My mother (not being computer literate) knows all about the forum (I print her trip reports etc) and after a little encouragement, is now busy writing her memories (with slides that I've scanned). Will post it soon.

Mel@nie

[b]Unforgettable Adventures and Memories . . . . Metsi Metsi - March 2011[/b]
[url]http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=51559[/url]

27.12 - 31.12 (Shingwedzi)
01.01 (Tamboti)
02.01 - 03.01 (L.Sabie)
04.01 - 08.01 (Pretoriuskop)

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Melanie :thumbs_up: We look forward to reading it !

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forum Melanie. Beware the addiction that is the side effect of joining. :yaya:

I love to play in God's Playground

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Chip
Quote:
Most of the time, I am told, I was put on the back windowshelf and looked out as rear gunner.

:thumbs_up:

Welcome Melani, looking forward to the posting

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:09 pm 

Welcome Melanie,
Looking forward to your TR :thumbs_up:

UNITE AGAINST POACHING

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:12 pm 

Me again Melanie,
Sorry, I just noticed that it is your mom's memories with slides that we are going to see. Not a TR. :doh: Cann't wait for this :D

UNITE AGAINST POACHING

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:52 pm 

Hi u all

Thanx for the warm welcome!! Yes Chip, indeed my mom's memories, but my TR will follow soon after our visit in June!!

Am I allowed to "do the yellow ribbon thingie"?

Mel@nie

[b]Unforgettable Adventures and Memories . . . . Metsi Metsi - March 2011[/b]
[url]http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=51559[/url]

27.12 - 31.12 (Shingwedzi)
01.01 (Tamboti)
02.01 - 03.01 (L.Sabie)
04.01 - 08.01 (Pretoriuskop)

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

mposthumus wrote:
Am I allowed to "do the yellow ribbon thingie"?
Mel@nie

Beautiful way of putting it!!! :mrgreen:
You are part of the Yellow Ribbon family and it is MUST that you do the thingie!!!!!
Tie it on the drivers side mirror so others can see it.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:15 pm 

Hmm I see we are quite a few Nelspruiters responding to this question. I also grew up in the area hence I understand the language spoken and it is very interesting how you are being discussed thinking that you don't understand the language :o Those days there were no tv and the best thing to do on a weekend was visit the KNP. Someone would say we are going to the KNP for the day and the car is loaded or we even went in groups. Malelane was an hour away and still had those old round rondavels :D The old photo postings are great because that is exactly how it was. Then came sanctions and we couldn't get petrol on weekends. Welll I still made it to the park - travelled with a full tank and one jerry can that you were allowed to have in your vehicle. We stopped at one inter section deciding which route to take and here comes madam lioness walking along to help us decide. Not happened since :( I have not visited the park for many years and then had a quick breeze through the park (no speeding) for a day and then last year I was blessed with a long weekend in November and I am sure those shongololos at Mopani bit me because since then I have become a forumite and heading back next week. Can't wait :dance: Just think - one man had the vision to keep this piece of nature in tact as our heritage!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:40 pm 

My second night in Africa (after my first, at an airport hotel at Joburg), on my first trip in 1995, was in Pretoriuskop. My second was in Satara.

I've been back to Kruger every year since, excpet for 2002, when I was in Afghanistan with the army. The wall behind my bed in Afghanistan was covered with pictures of my wife, my Land Rover, and of Kruger. The three things I missed most.

'Nuff said?

tp (hopeless addicted to all three).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next