Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Roads within Kruger park
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:33 pm 

Hi,

Is dirt road from Berg-en-Dal to Lower Sabie along Crocodile River in good condition? My wife has a neck problem, and I try to avoid driving too long on such roads particularly if they are not in good condition.

Is water still flowing in Crocodile River in late August? If so, it should be nice scenery and good for game viewing; right?

As you can see, I am not from South Africa, but I love the place.

Thanks for info and kind regards

Reynald

Post subject: Re: Roads within Kruger park
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:06 pm 

Hi Reynald,

I haven't driven the S25 since June this year and it wasn't too bad then but did have patches of corrugations.

The crocodile river is one of the perennial rivers in Kruger so always has some water running, just quite a bit slower and lower levels in Winter than Summer.

Enjoy your trip.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:23 pm 

Good afternoon Reynald. If you refer to the S 114 and S25 then it is a good choice. The road surface is smooth all the way when we drove it this July. Take some caution at the dips and approach to low water bridges. I'm sure you guys will be okay if you travel without rush. My suggestion is that you stay on the S25 all the way to the H 4-2 tar road and then turn left towards Lower Sabie. Allow +- 5 hours modest travel time from Berg-en-Dal to Lower Sabie. The Crocodile river flows throughout the year and game viewing is absolute bliss during the dry months along Crocodile River. The predators and their prey are more concentrated around water during these months. Also, you can stretch your legs and go for a short stroll to the Hippo Pools, but only if the game ranger is there to accompany you safely...... Have fun and enjoy Kruger.

January/February 2015
Olifants Camp-5 nights (BBD2V), Lower Sabie-5 nights (LST2U), Lodge on banks of Crocodile River 5-nights
And still planning.............

Last edited by RemiE on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:49 pm 

There are patches with corrugations as someone's said. If you're a bit worried, you could stay on the tar road and go via Skukuza, you'll have enough time.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:44 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

wilmaw wrote:
There are patches with corrugations as someone's said. If you're a bit worried, you could stay on the tar road and go via Skukuza, you'll have enough time.

Yup, I agree.
Last time I drove this road, it was mostly in good condtion. But there were a few bumpy patches.
If your wife has medical issues, best not take the chance. If she ends up in a lot of pain, it could ruin the rest of your holiday.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:48 pm 

Many thanks to all for the very helpful replies. Regards Reynald

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:54 pm 

The first stretch from Berg en Dal towards Lukimbi? Lodge is quite bad and jarring and is also incredibly dry with the dust coating the bushes on the side of the road. Thereafter, the road was fine. Sightings wise we saw wild dogs as well as cheetah on this road - we stayed at Malelane and made the trip to Lower Sabie twice on our last trip (beginning of August) - take it slow and it should be fine