Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:40 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Cruising about game viewing during the day is fine by yourself , actually quite enjoyable, especially if you want to take photos .

It gets a bit lonely in the evenings though , although if you eat your main meal at lunch , and grab a night drive its cool .
Night drive , hit the sack early , out early :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Driving alone in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:27 am 

Curious of those who have driven through Kruger alone. I am considering spending about 12 days in October by myself in Kruger. How much more difficult is it to spot animals while driving by yourself?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:27 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I do it all the time! And yes, you do miss things - but then so do car-loads of people. I have been behind safari vehicles that have missed things I saw. It is always a case of 'luck' - are you looking at just the right place, in the right angle, etc.....

More important therefore to drive slowly, be aware of the type of area you are in and the animals you are most likely to see and look for them. Try to learn something about their habits too as that helps.

But elephants can hide behind blades of grass if they want to, and giraffe are also good at hiding despite being the 2 biggest animals about.

Just enjoy it, don't worry too much about you miss - appreciate what you see.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:04 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I just cant get enough of kruger and i will probably end up going on my own quite frequently next year as often as i have time. It must be a slightly different experience by yourself as you have no one to share special sightings with, but its kruger and i would rather be there than anywhere else! so i will be going by myself :dance:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:39 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Skywalker
traveling in the park alone is not a problem I do it often the biggest thing is speed you need to travel a bit slowwer so as to cover the area around you properly because of this you tend to not cover the distances one would normally do so planning is a bit more important. from a danger point of view I have found even though I have come up with some very close encounters of animals that are on the side I have been looking away from, due to the slow speed I have not startled them and have had some very enjoyable sightings. The biggest problem is meals as being solo you dont use food stuffs as fast and waste becomes a problem so when alone in the park I buy my meat from a butcher who can pack it the way I want it, instead of buying off the shelf I ask the butcher to pack minipacks for me and I tend to buy basic long lasting fresh veggies but buy salads from the take away etc. By taking some resealable plastic bags and cligwrap/shrinkwrap I can reseal food for easier transport and later use.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:25 pm 

Hi,
I did my first alone trip in Feb 08 and truly enjoyed every second. I travelled about 20kph and maybe I did miss some things but got to see cheetah, lion,leopard,wild dog,huge elephants(which spook me),beautiful birds big and small,so many rhino I lost count,herds of buffalo,tortoises and terrapins,a puffadder,hyena. On a night drive, genet,serval, lions on a kill. So you see driving alone is not such a bad thing.
I also stopped when I wanted to,drove all day if the mood took me and generally had the time of my life, so much so I'm doing it again in May 08 out of preference.
Enjoy,
Bornfree.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:49 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I was in Kruger, alone, 5 weeks in February/March. It was marvelous. Sometime a little bit difficult to have pictures from elephants in the north... not enough time, often I have to "run". You have to also think of close (semi-close) the opposite window if they are big cats around... or leopard or monkeys... Sometime a little bit "sportif" to jump from one seat to the other. We can stay as long as you want at eacht sight, eat when you want... only positive point... for me :wink:
Same for Kgalagadi, last year, but only 2 weeks.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:31 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Being alone is a lot easier than being with someone who would rather be elsewhere.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:16 pm 

What a great forum you guys have here, I thaught I was maybe a bit odd wanting to go on my own but I'm rather happy I'm not the only one, off to spend a few days at tzendse on my ace in a week :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:15 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Being alone in KNP means not having to consider others if :
1) your partner(s) get bored with a quiet viewpoint ,
2) the fire takes too long ,
3) you want to read ,
4) you want to take a nap in the shade ,
5) you change your mind ,
6) you are antisocial and prefer to be alone and experience the tranquility of silence ......

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:11 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I've just returned from 12 days on my own in Kruger.

My observations:
-it attracts Pangolin, yes, I had a Pangolin sighting just like KNP spokesperson. 8)
-it attracts lots of friendly people. I met lovely people at some of the strangest places who were happy to strike up conversation.
-it allows you to be selfish, for a mom, that is just so great.
-no set rising and no set bed times 8) 8) most mornings I was up before the sunrise, but it was lovely to set my own pace..

the one time I felt a bit lonely was late afternoon, just before the sunset. I think that might be our natural nesting time and I just missed the human companionship of sharing the day's happenings.

Post subject: Re: Woman alone in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:00 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Riwels, a very warm welcome to you :D

I agree with Eco Junkie. I often go alone, camping or using the permanent tents. I love it and have never had a problem.

The only issue I have is pitching my tent, but there are invariably people ready and willing to help. On occasion I have asked for help at reception and they have found someone to "pitch" in.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:53 pm 

Hi Riwels

it is the best way to experience kruger and yes you will be safe, also the camping community always help each other thats what makes it such an experience. I myself go alone to and enjoy it alot.
:D

Unread postPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:33 pm 

Hi. I am from the US and have traveled in Kruger alone several times. The only time I got into trouble was with a vervet monkey. They know females are more vulnerable and will/can be more agressive if you are alone. Be careful eating outside when they are around and do not get cocky and shew them off your porch or anything like that. I take a childs water squirt gun as a defence. They hate water.

My other advise is not to stop on the road for strangers; especially further north in the park around Punda Maria. Just be alert as you would anywhere else you are traveling alone. Take the necessary precautions and you will have a wonderful and safe stay.

I like staying in a hut on the perimeter of the camp so I can have my privacy and see the wildlife from my hut. Other than that I have been all over the park and enjoyed every minute alone.

If you click on my name it should take you to my blog and website where I write about my solo Africa travels in Kruger and more.

Dana

Unread postPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:30 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I'm just over twenty :wink: .... and travel alone..., the last one : 3 months in Kgalagadi and Kruger. No problem at all, nor in the South, nor in the North... only few at Lower Sabie with a BIG BABOON :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next