Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tipping
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:25 pm 

When at Kruger recently, we each (individually) gave a tip of R50 to our guide on the sunset drives. However it seemed that most people didn't give any tip at all, which is really a sad thing.

Post subject: HUT ETIQUETTE - WASHING DISHES?
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Does the duty list for the cleaning staff include washing of dishes and making of beds?

Post subject: Re: HUT ETIQUETTE - WASHING DISHES?
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:20 pm 

The bed is arranged by the staff. However the dish washing has to be done by the visitor.
Still is you give a good tip the cleaning staff will wash the dishes for u.
Remember to carry the dishwashing liquid and scrub as they are not provided.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:41 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

On leaving a tip...what is the going rate for a sink of dishes?

The one thing I hate about traveling abroad is figuring out the tipping norms. Too much and you're throwing money away. Too little and you're insulting those you mean to thank. :wall:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:30 pm 

Stark, I leave R10 a day for the bungalow cleaner for doing the dishes.

Car guards, R2 seems such a small amount these days, but I think is pretty much the norm; or if a late night tip, R5.

Petrol pump attendants, IF they wash the windscreen and offer to fill the water, pump the tyres, R2-R5.

10% on meals, SO takes off the VAT before calculating this tip. We have a bit of a ding about this every time we eat out.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:51 pm 

Yes DinkyBird, we too carry lots of change for tips in the park. At the petrol station, restaurant, unit cleaning staff.
In addition we always leave some food for the cleaners. In our last trip to Skuks the cleaner was very happy to get food n tip.
For us R10 doesnot make difference but for them it does make.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:20 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

The washing of dishes belongs definitely not to the tasks of the cleaning staff but when braaing in the evening I am far to tired to do the dishes in the evening so I postpone it to the next day when we will return from our morning drive much to our gratest surprises during our whole stay in Kruger we found when returning from our morning drive the dishes already done :clap: :clap: :clap:

This happened in all camps we stayed and I must say that this is an outstanding service - Needless to stay that we left a bit more tip for this extra work :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:32 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

(Merged with the existing topic)

We always leave food, still in the packaging, not leftovers, and R10. The latter GP doesn't really know about. :lol:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:53 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I agree with the amounts quoted, however I always adjust for excellence. When we were at Nshawu we were six adults spending most of the time enjoying the view and the cleaner came in at regular intervals to "help" with the dishes - She received R100 for two days and deserved every penny :clap:

I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me.

Tsendze 22 - 26 December 2014

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I think of my tip as a token of appreciation for a job well done, if it isn't then I adjust accordingley.

Post subject: Re: Tipping night drivers
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:13 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

It depends If the drive has been excellent and by this I dont mean super sightings around every corner but the way the guide handles the drive well and makes it an exciting drive even though not much big stuff is seen.
Then he will be tipped Sometimes the drives are taken by students ( talking KTP) here and they are really volunteers and the pay if any is minimal . The guides are usually then super enthusiastic and they will be tipped generously .

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

tent dweller wrote:
Why tip the guide after a night/day/sunset/early drive? You have paid for the trip and he is doing his job, where I work I don't get tipped after every job done :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Sure but you don't get paid less than 4k for driving around miserable and rude persons at times. And not working from 04h15 till 22h00. Nor are you getting tipped for sharing your knowledge, sometimes after studying years, with people who at most of the times think they know better..

Tipping the guides for me always depends on his/her attitude and the way in which he handled the drive. Certain guides at Satara will never receive a tip from me. I aint tipping a driver who think its fun to chase down the road, not stopping for anything, not even for an AWC with the smallest kitten ive seen.

But then you get the guys like Martie(LS), lourens(phalaborwa), Irwin(Satara) Raymond(B&D) who go out of their way to accommodate and share interesting sightings.

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!

Post subject: Re: Tipping night drivers
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:00 am 

Hugh wrote:
It depends If the drive has been excellent and by this I dont mean super sightings around every corner but the way the guide handles the drive well and makes it an exciting drive even though not much big stuff is seen.........

Problem is the guides think if they give some excitment and show people big game at any cost they then will get more and bigger tips. This sometimes means racing around the prk with the radio on constantly and some other very bad behaviours. Also some then try and exude pesonality which drives me nuts I dont need a goon show on a night drive.

People do it's true (mistake I now) but they do tend to tip more if they get to see lion or packs of hunting hyena etc.

I dont know. There are some very very good drivers, mostly at bush camps and there are some terrible ones mostly at Skakusa, pots luck I guess. Maybe they should just pay them well then we wouldn't feel the need to tip at all.

I tend to tip based on the intelegent information factor and sympathetic to wild life one, but not so many tourists so my principles dont realy count much.

Post subject: What do you think...?
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:08 pm 

I read a previous thread on "tipping in the park" and someone wrote there that when they go to the picnic spots they like to give fresh bread and milk to the people manning the picnic spots, because they are pretty isolated and can't get to a shop relatively easily.

This made me think: what would the employees at the picnic spots REALY appreciate? Not that i think they dont appreciate a tip for cleaning the skottel and washing the dishes. And I know they appreciate fruit /food leftovers. But what would make them feel its X-mas in August when we visit and I can make a small parcel for the people at the different picnic spots that we will be visiting.

Any suggestions?

:)

Post subject: Re: What do you think...?
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:31 pm 

Although I have NO idea I think YOUR idea great!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next