Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:30 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

We also give R5 if he just takes the skottel but if he washes our other dishes he gets a well deserved R10 and any food that is left :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:30 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
It makes me happy to see that folks are generally generous with the grassroots staff.

For those who cannot tip, just smile and say, "thank you".

I might sound like a school marm here, but I have seen some bad behaviour towards some of ground staff.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:36 pm 

MM wrote:
but I have seen some bad behaviour towards some of ground staff.

Showing respect towards another human being costs us nothing and often means more than material offerings.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:42 pm 

Hello everybody,

i think a well done job is it worth to receive a good tip. I also think a friendly person is it worth to receive a very good tip. And i also think, that a unfriendly person and a bad done job shouldn´t get any tip.
But it were only two or three situations in the park, i gave nothing. Food i don´t need anymore, i leave it if it is originaly packed. Washing powder i leave at the last laundry i visit. There will allways be somebody, who can use it. And i have allways a black felt-tip pen with me, so i can write "for stuff" or "free to use" on the package.
Also everybody gets a big smile. And for special friendly people i allways have a little gift in my luggage.

But from this all the big smile is the most important thing.

And if anybody of you comes to the Letaba Fuell-station: There is a handicaped man working there, handicaped at his legs. If anybody of You let´s him walk from the car to the Cash register and back to bring you a little change - i´ll be angry and visit you in your dreams!

Greetings DrDeath

Post subject: What would you tip a guide?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi All

I came across this question recently: What would you tip the guide ... Sad indictment of the value we put on trained guides! When I posted this poll it was neck on neck on 40% [I see that has changed dramatically].

It reminded me what Pieter Steyn wrote in his trip report about how people were treating Frank at the Pafuri Picnick spot
Pieter Steyn wrote:
Poor Frank was running around to help every body. Some people verbally abused him because he was to slow for their likening; for getting that they are not the only people wanting his attention, other wanted him to wash there dirty equipment and dishes Pieter's post on Pafuri

Last edited by mountainview on Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:14 pm 

Luckily most pay R20. Have seen less money (or none at all) being received by Kruger guides after drives :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:06 pm 

So what should we do for guides on eg guided walks? Each person give each guide R20? BB's a easier - I would work on 10% of the meal value. Would guided drives also be R20 each. One must do the right thing :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:21 pm 

I trained as FGASA guide, so I'm probabily the worst customer to have because I know what guides should be capable of. Unfortunately a lot of the guides now days, specially the ones belonging to private tour companies, don't really care that much.

My gripe specially being aimed at those guys who went into guiding because it made them look all macho, the ones who repeat the same mindless drivel information we have all heard countless times before, the ones who only care about how many of the big five they can get their clients to see without bothering about explaining how integrated everything in the bush is.

Fortunately I have also encountered guides who really do carre about the bush and imparting the knowledge of the bush onto their clients. These guys get a great tip from me. Even if they tell me things that I already know it's nice to see that at least they are trying.

So let's dump the cr.ppy guides in the bush and see if they make it :twisted: and get more of the guys/gals who actually care about their jobs and realise it's importance :clap: .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:52 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
As a guide in Cape Town, I would say as much as possible....... :twisted:
Seriously now, tipping depends on the type of service you get. Some guides/watrons/service providers just expect a tip. I would say that a pleasant experience is mandatory for what you are paying, and would tip averagely. Darn it all, isn't that why we go away on holiday. If it is any less than that, I would not tip, unless it is out of control of the tipee. For 'extra mile' type of service, a good tip rewards the effort and encourages repeat behaviour.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:19 pm 

where ever we travel on safari - mostly fly in safaris in southern and eastern Africa - and meet with other safari goers tipping is always a very difficult topic!
we have experienced that none of the guest at a safari camp or lodge is quite sure what to leave with the guide/spotter etc.

we have decided for ourselves the following:
10 US$ per person/per drive for both guide and spotter
10 US$ for the tent steward/day
10 US$ for the overall staff/day

we give it personally to the appropriate person and leave the tip for the staff with the head waiter or manager - when they are approachable in the company of another staff ;-)

would love to hear other tipping habits.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:53 am 

Quote:
10 US$ per person/per drive for both guide and spotter
10 US$ for the tent steward/day
10 US$ for the overall staff/day

Yikes :shock: . Can I be your spotter guide etc. Would make a fortune in salary if this is what you tip people 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:00 pm 

I have a "domestic" problem with this topic... I always want to tip, and my husband NEVER... wich comes to a funny discusion every time, and always ends with me taking some money and giving whatever I want... :roll:

when I was in southafrica last year we tipped R5 at the person who cleaned the window, then 10% At restaurant, and I think we made a "pot" betwen all the people of the group and gave it to the drivers, but I can't remember about the trail, going with southafricans I can't remember how it went, actually, this is something we asked them as soon as we started to be friends...

My husband has a different way of thinking, he says that no one tips him when he works, then why should he tip? I understand, because it's not only sometimes tiping, at the end you feel yourself tipping all the way, and I understand that he says that we have already spent too much money...
so that is why we always argue... (but I confess that I always do what I want, in this issue only :redface: )

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:15 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Pirata, I know, it can often cause problems when two people think differently.
The way I look at it in this country is that the lower basic wages are very much subsistance wages. My tip will maybe go towards wether there is meat on the table that week or not, or maybe whether a child will get a new pair of school shoes one day.
I feel grateful for the priveledge of being able to travel and it is some way of giving back to the community.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tipping is, IMHO, personal. To day SO and I had lunch out. The waitress was attentive, saved us several pounds by recommending a special which was basically what we wanted anyway, was in the background and checked twice to make sure everything was ok so in my mind deserved the 10% tip of the bill we left her in cash. (In many restaurants etc in UK the management keep the tips if put on the card!) Turned out she was a student and this was her extra job and she relied on tips to help pay her way through uni. :clap:
In SA it is different but I think the same principle applies. Service gets tips. At the petrol station usually R5 if they're pleasant, in B&B's R10 perday stayed provided the room and bathroom are spotless. In the park breakfast left for the cleaner plus R10 per day stay, R50 when they ask to wash your car, especially clearing the door locks of rust. :lol:

What does annoy me is the Waterfront in CT at places like Dros where the staff expect big tips for little service, there I go minimilistic :evil:

Post subject: I have questions about tipping & I booked my flight !!
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:23 pm 

wooohooo I booked my flight today for my October trip! LOL I was just soo excited I had to tell someone hahaha... :dance:

I depart canada October 5th and l arrive in phalaborwa oct 7th! whew 22hrs flight time and 28 hrs travel time one way!! yikes.... then am in and around Kruger until the 29th! yay!! I can not wait to be in paradise!!! :thumbs_up:
I can not wait!

Also I do have a relevant question...
I know there is a post about tipping and I am not sure exactly how to go about this... I am not sure who to be tipping exactly or how much... I am not familiar with the currency or what is appropriate!

I have never tipped a gas attendant only because here in Canada most pumps are self serve and if not the full serve cost is added to the gas price.. lol and that is just to pump gas and wipe the window if you are lucky lol :? gas where I am is right now is about $1.23 CAD /L = aprox $9.30 ZAR /L and you pump it yourself lol! :evil: have you ever had your fingers literally freeze to the pump lol not a fun thing to have happen! lmao :shock: I now try to always remember to bring mittens while pumping gas in the winter!!! hahahaha...

anyhow soo what I need is a list of who to tip and aprox average amounts or percentages that are reasonable?? I am not wealthy and this trip is costing a lot as it is , but I have no problem tipping if it is appropriate! Of course I know about restaurants and such but... what if someone helps with a bag or is a guide or so forth!?? and who else am I forgetting???

OTHER THAN WAIT STAFF " WHOM I ALWAYS TIP`" and base the amout on friendliness,attitude & service! I guess I am not used to the fact that if you already pay for a service that you should be expected to tip on top of it!? but if that is customary and part of their wage I guess I need to know that right???

Last edited by Willowmoon on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:23 am, edited 9 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next