Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tipping
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:09 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We did about the same that pippa did when we were at a private reserve.

10 US$ for the staff to split/day
15 US$ for the guide and spotter to split/day

...and, we were the only people who tipped on the SANParks sunset drive out of Satara. 50 rand, I believe.

All these tips might be out of the norm, high or low, depending on where you're from. We're still not sure we did it right. :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:14 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Suspect most people do tip
I do:
For the cleaning staff R15-20 per night per accommodation
(also depending on job well done)
Guides get R20 or more if they did a very good job per person
And also tip the petrol guy R5-10
And some loose coins in the shops/restaurant and the anti-poaching can receives coins as well

Unread postPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:16 pm 

Hi, I found this thread doing a forum search and just wanted to bring up the question of tipping again as I am planning to visit a SANpark later this summer (Addo).

I have signed up for the guided game drives, and I'm just wondering what would be an appropriate tip rate% for a good guide with good information and provides a pleasant experience?

Looking through the thread I have seen a wide range of suggestions, but was wondering if there's just a pretty standard/expected %? per person?

I certainly do want to show my appreciation for a job well done and a good guide, but I am also on a fairly tight budget and want to see what is a good amount.

Thanks!

Unread postPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:38 pm 

Hi dohmai

In general between 10 - 15 % of the fee is generally given as a tip in SA. But seeing that the guides are trained people, with rather low salaries, I think one could give a bit more.

So for a drive something around R 30 should be a good tip, going up to say R 50 if you want to really show appreciation for good work.

For a walk I think you can give even more. The guide after all literally had your life in his care, and it is a much more intense activity.

But as always ... a tip is given for good service. So let that also be a factor when deciding.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:04 pm 

This is perhaps a little off topic.
We used to leave any food and things that might be useful for our cleaning lady at our time share.
Now she has told me that they are not allowed to take this. ( We can leave a money tip as we always do).
Is it acceptable to leave food etc in the camps?
I don't want to take half a bottle of oil, half a bag of rice etc home on the plane to U,K, and I cant bear throwing good food away.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:11 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

I always do. That includes the 3 kilo or more of rice which was in my beanbags...

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We left perfectly good food in our fridge at Olifants, including steaks we never got around to cooking, for the cleaning staff to please take and use. We left a note thanking them for the good job they did in taking care of us + some money (don't remember how much.)

I hope somebody was able to use the food and it didn't go to waste. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:46 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Food left or given to staff never goes to waste!

I also know that the guides in Kruger actually receive very little in the way of tips from guests. In fact when they do get something it oftens gets talked about to other guides because it is not a common experience. Sad, because as comments on the forum show, they do a great job in general.

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:03 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I try to leave food when I stay over. I also take for the picnic attendants when I can.

Once when I lost a haversack at Maroela, it was rescued by the staff. At the time I had no cash on me, so I thanked them with food. They were so very appreciate. The lady in charge explained that it was very difficult to obtain fresh produce and it was often very expensive. I now try to take a couple of items with me on my trips. It is my way of giving back.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have been in a bit of a dilemma , as you may know the wilderness trails that I so like to take part in are expensive (for me at least) at about R3200 for 3 nights .
If I pay a tip at 10% , it means an additional amount of R320 to be shared amongst 3 staff members .
How much would regular trailists consider to be a fair amount to tip, if any at all, considering that the wilderness trails section is/was considered to be a very profitable one and that the trails officers should/could be earning more than the average guide ?

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:28 pm 

I am wondering about the same.
Having done a few trails with Sanparks and other operators I have learned to add a "tipping budget" to my travel budget...

One f the wilderness trails consists basically of four activities plus transfer from and to camp (some might rate those as activities, too).
R50 per walking activity per guide and R30 for a drive would leave you in most cases with 180 R per guide, maybe a little less for the back-up guide if he really was only backing up.
Adding 30 R for the kitchen staff this would leave you with about 360 R or something like that.

Problem is: how long can you keep that up? - I once took part in a 12 days course which had cost about 10.000 Rand. 10% = 1.000 R.
But we had a walking activity plus a drive every day (the latter one sometimes with only one guide).
This would have added up to about 130 R * 12 days + 100 for kitchen staff = 1660 Rand!

To be honest: my tipping depends on two things:
how good was the guide and how many "guided" activities have I planned for my holiday in total.
The first one is obvious and the second one might not be fair.
On the average I am planning with 100 R per day for guided activities.
But I agree with many other entries in this forum: whatever you do - you have to stick to your budget: if it's a tight one then a smaller tip -or even none at all - but given with a warm thank you will be better than not booking the trail at all.

I, too, would be grateful if somebody could give some feedback on the tipping for "long term activities".

Post subject: Re: Tipping backpack trail and general etiquette
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:17 pm 

I have read the entire thread, but am still hoping for a few more ideas on appropriate tipping guidelines for good service. I realize this is very subjective and at our discretion.

We will be participating in a scheduled Mphongolo backpacking trail. Is it appropriate to give each person a tip specific to their roles, or does one tip the main guide and expect him/her to distribute accordingly? Those of you that have done this type of trip, would you be willing to share your thoughts on an appropriate amount?

I would also appreciate any comments concerning the range of tips for certain duties. I believe this is what I have read:

Waiters/Servers-10 to 20%
Restroom cleaners public places 5-10R
Cleaners Bungalows/Campsites 10-15R per day
Petrol attendants-5-1oR
Car guards-2-5R
Scheduled drives-20-50R per person
Scheduled walks-?? both rangers separately or a tip to split a little more than the drive
Trail guides 50R per day?

Thank you so much.
Carson

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:01 am 

If I were the second rifle, and got less than the first rifle for a good days work just because I am the second rifle, I would feel a bit miffed. The first rifle is already getting better pay.

Your list is just fine! :thumbs_up:

Walks? 40 - 100?

Remember with a walk it is not the sightings that should be rewarded, rather the effort, knowledge, attitude and the passion.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:04 pm 

Quality of service is important to me and I feel that staff should always deliver a high quality service, especially at a world renowned tourist attraction without the expectation of a tip, but because it is their job and duty to do so!
I do however believe in tipping moderately wherever I go and this is regardless of whether the staff are well paid or not, but depends more so on the attitude of staff and the quality of service I recieve.
I tip when it is deserved and don't tip when it's not, and in extreme cases (of which I've only had one), I lodge a complaint and ask for a refund!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:08 pm 

Well I have been on both sides, first a visitor to Kruger, then driving for a private reserve, and now a visitor to Kruger (when im lucky to have time).
I think it is difficult, as if you have a bad drive - i.e no animals, usually we are reluctant to tip, if we see many animals and the favourites(leopard... Caracal ) then we want to tip.
I think tipping should be down to the guides performance, I had a guide in Satara (wish i could remember his name), we did not see much but his drive was amazing, he really knew what he was talking about.
Now before I was a guide I would have said a big thank-you, but after becoming a guide I know that most of the money they make is tips, but don't get me wrong the tips can bring in good money!!!
Unfortunately not all guests know that tipping is done for drives and that is why we feel bad only giving R30-R50.
If everyone gave that for every good drive the guide would be very happy.
But they don't, in fact I have found the guides in Kruger to be lucky if 1 or 2 people tip.
I have seen people get out the vehicle and give R5, for an awesome drive, now I know some people are not big tippers, but I would rather forget to tip than give R5 as that just makes the driver feel like a lousy guide.
I think the idea of giving your old set of bino's(to a limit) is good as most of them end up just sitting in the cupboard and are in perfect condition.
And if they don't need them, they will know someone who does!
I can only talk about the drives, but that's what I think.
Just to add, most guides enjoy what they are doing and will not be upset with little or no tip, they also know that a lot of us don't have the money to give huge tips, and will give their best drive anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next