Skip to Content

Park and Road Etiquette

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Length of stay at sightings

Unread postby Lepardfan » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:25 am

We normally take photos and move on, when it is very busy. i don't want to be in the middle of a argument. :naughty: . Unfortunately one do get, as mentioned above, very very inconsiderate people....

Other instances we just relax and enjoy the sighting. :thumbs_up:
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. ~George Washington Carver

One day closer to my next visit

Sparrow
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Sparrow » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:14 am

My plan is that if we have found the sighting we stay there for as long as we feel like or move off as soon as there are more than 4 or 5 cars. (which normally have all the windows closed with the engines running so as to keep the aircon working :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: ).

Traffic jams :slap: :slap: just drive past, there are plenty more kilometres still to cover and who knows what awaits you around that next bend.
Russel G

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

28 Feb to 7 March Skukuza

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby tent dweller » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:14 am

We have our own family rule, if we are the first and only car at the sighting we stay and as soon as there are more than 3 cars (excluding ours) we move off. When driving along and we come upon more than 3 cars at a particular place, we slow down but if we cannot see anything clearly we drive past. When coming to a huge roadblock with lots of vehicles, we drive past or if there is a lot of traffic blocking a clear route through, we do a U-turn and go back in the direction where we came from. I do not want to be in a traffic jam while on holiday in the Kruger, I also do not want to witness bad behaviour and recklessness. Just as Sparrow said, you never know what is waiting for you around the next corner.
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
SKUKUZA 04 -06 January 2016

alf

Unread postby alf » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:16 pm

When we visited the park 2 weeks ago we got to a road block on our way to Bergendal. It was obviously a lion sighting and this HUGE truck full with oversea visitors were standing in the middle of the road next to the lions and didn't move. We were about car no 6 and behind us were about another 10 cars.

At fisrt when we got there we didn't know what they were looking at until we saw 1 lion move. The other cars behind us didn't know what it was and after about 10 minutes without moving forward the cars at the back were starting to hoot and and got very irritated. We felt the same but there were no way past this big truck.

We usually stop and take a few pics and then we move on. But this big truck were just standing there and hogging the sighting. That i feel is very rude. Eventually when there was a gap i squeezed past and SO wanted me to stop when we got past the truck but i just ignored that and drove on. I was obviously in trouble for ignoring her but these traffic jams makes your blood boil.

I obviously feel they must have a restriction on the size of the vehicle that enters the park. These big trucks are so huge that you can't see past them or over them and when they stop nobody can get past.
Made my booking for Desember 2014!! Whoohoo

Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Lepardfan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:48 pm

Ouch Alf, I feel your pain. :evil:

For me it is also unacceptable to be faced with this type of behavior in Kruger, I have enough of it in Joburg :roll: . One would expect that people visiting places like Kruger are more or less like minded, and would not mind sharing sightings with fellow visitors and also be more considerate.

I guess that is not always the case.
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. ~George Washington Carver

One day closer to my next visit

Return to “Kruger National Park”