There is an outstansing request on this thread for more information on Honorary Rangers Avi-Tourism events primarily in Kruger but also in the other parks.
Firstly the Kruger SASOL/HR weekends in January and February 2013 for which I am told there are still some places at Mopani, Letaba, Olifants, Talamati and Shingwedzi.
At present there are available space at:
25-27 January 2013
1. Mopani Camp (Mopani often gets bad press because it is felt that the mopane woodland and scrublands do not hold as much wildlife as the thornveld of further south, but birding wise the area is excellent and offers a real chance of black coucal, white-backed night-heron, Montagu’s and pallid harrier, Caspian plover and many other juicy things in the NShawu Pan/Tropic of Capricorn strip)
2. Letaba Camp (Collared Pratincole, Green-capped Eremomela, Greater Painted-Snipe, African Barred Owlet are some of the highly probable ticks one can see in or from camp and Sooty Falcon has been recorded in recent summers)
3. Olifants (Pel’s Fishing Owl, White-backed Night-Heron, Rufous-bellied Heron, Black Coucal are some of the more exciting records from previous Birding Weekends)
1. Shingwedzi – (The formerly resident Collared Palm-Thrushes seem to have disappeared, but given the high density of Lala Palms along the river that might be a transient thing, and several other rare vagrant species have been recorded over the years along the Shingwedzi – like red-footed falcon, Palmnut Vulture and the park’s only record of an augur buzzard!)
2. Talamati (groups of 4 only) – (one of the best areas to get Senegal Lapwing and many other grassland specials of the park’s central region)
For details of the weekend go to:http://www.sanparksvolunteers.org/event ... andbirding
or http://www.sanparksvolunteers.org/west- ... on?start=3
If you want the booking form you have to click at the appropriate place on the above page.
The filled out booking form should be sent to :email@example.com
Then a little sooner is the Punda Mania weekend in November. Not sure if there is still availability left on that, but Punda is a complete win for special birds.
Punda Mania Punda Maria Camp in Kruger National Parkhttp://www.sanparksvolunteers.org/event ... ndamania12
Other pending birding weekends in some of the other parks can be sussed at
West Coast National Parkhttp://www.sanparksvolunteers.org/event ... wader-bash
Southern Cape Parks (Garden Route NP and surrounding areas)http://www.sanparksvolunteers.org/event ... nisbirding
Marakele National Parkhttp://www.sanparksvolunteers.org/event ... elebirding
Addo Elephant National Parkhttp://www.sanparksvolunteers.org/addo-region
Karoo National Parkhttp://www.sanparksvolunteers.org/event ... roobirding