Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Family Tradition for KNP
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:37 pm 

Hi Guys brilliant thread ...got me to re-live many memories and make a posting . Watching old reel game movies in the camps .Counting elephants during census .

My Kruger addiction started from a few weeks of age as my father was working at Malelane Sugar Mills so we spent nearly every weekend in the Park growing up. Saw a few elephants outside the park when they used to raid the sugar cane farms too. Now much older and with my own brood we try get to Kruger at least every two years .Our next trip will be in March 27-April 7 Moving from Letaba ,Satara ,Pretoriuskop to Croc Bridge and I cant wait ...not too long now

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart, mind and soul on an early morning drive close to Satara, unfortunately the body is in CPT!
Way back when, in the 60's, my dad used to go camp with his father in law (my grand dad) and my dad's youngest brother. The fences in those days were pretty much non-existent around the camps and especially hyenas had free access. The camping trio was woken up by a rambling around them just to find some hyenas raiding their braai area. Result, my dad and his brother didn't sleep for the rest of the night while my grand dad slept like a baby, 'cause in his words, he has both these guys keeping guard, so he might as well enjoy a good rest!

My grand dad was also one of a kind, some guys had corn on the cob on a fire close to them, he felt like some and promptly swopped a few pieces of wors for a few corn!! Strange thing is, nobody took any exception. I guess that was what "Old Kruger" was all about.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:23 pm 

Indeed - you were part of one happy family because the camps were a lot smaller than they are these days!! I fondly remember hearing dustbin lids flying in the middle of the night when the hyenas came into camp after lights out!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:46 pm 

Well Kruger is definitely in our blood. My parents started going to Kruger when
they move to White River in 1957, that was before my birth. WE went to Kruger almost every weekend. Since moving to the Cape in 1971 they, we went to Kruger every July. We try to keep up with the family tradition, and since I got married we try to go to Kruger at least once a year. My dads last visit to Kruger was at the age of 81 in 2007 a year before the passed away, and we are taking my mom there this July at the age of 80. Cant wait, Ouma and all our children! What a feast! Hope to take the grand children one day.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:18 am 

I can't remember when my 1st visit was to KNP but I know we used to take family visiting from Gerrmany to experience it (70's). During our winter holidays, camping at either Sabie or Hazyview, we always used to go for the day. I love going to the park and luckily my SO is just as mad about the park as I am. He used to go with his gran who used to take him out of school, in those days you could miss school without a problem.
Since getting married in 1990 we make a point of going at least once a year and then if possible as day visitors when ever possible. Our eldest daughter went for the 1st time when still quite small and she used to think everybody either had a holiday at KNP or Uvongo (where ouma en oupa lived) as those were the only places we would go on holiday. Since then we have introduced our 2 daughters to various other parks, namely Marekele, Addo, Mountain Zebra, Wilderness, Kalagadi, Augrabies.
The first thing we do after setting up camp is going to have a pie, gravy and chips at the restaurant, just wish they would reintroduce venison pies.
Does anybody remember the old days when we used to have elephant biltong?
Can't wait for our trip in September when we will be going to Pretoriuskop and Maroela.

Glad to see another Koch (Daniel Koch) loves the park just as much as we do.
Angie

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:27 pm 

Elephant biltong was compulsory and do you remember the tinned buffalo meat?

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:19 pm 

Tiko wrote:
Well my parents never went the KNP.My first trip was after school and have been there about 4 times.Early Jan we were there again with my 14 year old son.He loved it and was a very keen birder.He ordered mom out of bed at 04h00 and had no mercy.I think he is hooked.Will definitely be easier to get a yes for a next trip.

Tiko

Since then we have been twice to Addo and are now booked for Kruger in July 2012.We are also taking friends with who has never been to Kruger(been to Etosha a couple of times).Hopefully a new tradition will start here.

Tiko

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:57 am 

My Dad took me when i was about 3.

Then every year after that.

I remember when I was about 5 a lion kill right next to our car!

:offt:
My son is now 2 years old, and his first trip was when he was 6 months old!!! I was worried about malaria in the beginning, but we book camps that are far from rivers etc, and we do the stickies on the clothing, candles etc.

I had malaria in April, and I picked it up in St Lucia - Cape Vidal. So I suppose you can get it anywhere yes, but we take precautions with him.

Any ways.

When I was a little girl, my mom use to pack a snack hamper for each of us as well as a small gift for everyday we were there, I still do it today with my son.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:07 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
When our parents took us on our annual trip to Kruger we always:

:) Had early morning picnics at the picnic spots. In those days the picnic spots still had burning wood fires and a shiny kettle on the fire providing hot water for coffee or tea.

:) Had a cold coke in a bottle from those old coke fridges at the picnic spots.

:) Went to watch at least one Kruger movie in the open air Camp "bioscope"

:) Enjoyed at least one dinner in one of the Camp Restaurants from the menu and they brought the one dish after the other to your table. I remember the custard, when it was served with the pudding, always had a slight burnt taste to it.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:26 pm 

The best place on earth, I have been going to the Kruger since I was a tiny chop, with my parents, at least four times a year. Then I introduced my SO to the park and we went on honeymoon, where my parents, also joined us for three weeks. Their folks apparently also joined them on honeymoon for a few days. Our two girls have grown up going to the Kruger, at least once a year since they were born .We have just returned from a three week honeymoon with our eldest daughter and new son in law. We had a fantastic time which has now somehow become a tradition in our family. I remember the braai fires at the main camps and at the picnic spots, I remember being able to buy milk tart at Tshokwane, which the rangers wife used to make until the park took over, because it was so popular. I remember being able to order pan cakes from the rangers wife at Letaba after your braai I remember waiting for the trolley to be wheeled out which was full of either Elephant or Buffalo biltong which was made at the abatoir at Skukuza, you had to be lucky, as these were bought up very quickly. I remember many fun filled days searching for the big five and then different birds and then just the tranquility as the years went on . How I love that place, how I love that place and can't wait to get my fix again. The best place on earth.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:28 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
The Shark wrote:
I remember being able to buy milk tart at Tshokwane,

Me too. It was mandatory to finish off the meal.

I also remember the ele biltong, which I had a problem with for a minute. Do I buy it. Eventually I went for yes as eles destroy the habitat of more rare species, so I supported it. The best biltong I have ever tasted.