Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Worst experience in the Kruger??
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:56 pm 

Elsa & twigga, thinking back on it, the big boy was actually minding his own business feeding on the side of the road, we stopped quite a way back and kept a close eye on him especially when we noticed his signs of being in musth.
In fact we were so intent on him that we didn't notice the cars piling up behind us.
I think the traffic jam got on his nerves and he started marching toward us.
I guess it really was our fault for allowing ourselves to get boxed in.
Please don't be scared of ellies, they really normally are gentle giants, but do give them the respect they deserve.

Last edited by TonyP on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:58 am 

This is the pic where we were boxed in, taken by my daughter who was in one of the cars a few back, despite having our reverse lights on for some time, no one was interested in backing up so we had no choice but to sit it out and :pray:
We are the front car in the queue.

ImageLarge

but thankfully the Ellie was quite peaceful, came up next to us, gave us a cursory glance and headed off into the bush as he was not keen to walk past all the cars behind.

But I agree Tony, as long as one can show them respect and give them their space they are usually fine.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Mellory wrote:
watching a hyena on my side of the car both SO and one daughter leaning over us to look when SO turns back :big_eyes: there is its mate head right in the window

Mellory, same story with a little bit extra thrown in for spice!!
All watching hyenas out the left hand side when the whole car lurched to the left! :shock:
My dad had his arm on the driver's window sill and another hyena came up and licked his elbow!!!
My dad nearly overturned the car in his state of shock!!! :big_eyes:

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank goodness he decided to do a taste test first, otherwise....!!! :roll:

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:15 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Once near Skukuza there were hippos out of water moving from one water source to another. We judged incoreectly where the hippos would cross the road. Then the one hippo charges at us :big_eyes:

Do not know exactly why. But it was extremely scary. Worse than an ellie charge which is usually a mock charge. This guy looked like he wanted to kill us and he chased us at about 35-40km/hour for a short while!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:23 pm 

Our Worst - Being caught in the middle of a 40 strong heard of ellies, and just our luck we split the baby ellies from rest of the heard, my uncle realising what he had just done tried to reverse but we had got cornered by the rest of the heard,

All I remember after that was 3 cousins, 1 sister, 1 mom, 1 dad, 1 aunt and probably my uncle all hit the deck in the caravelle, i don't know how we got out of that situation.

After all the years that have passed, we still chuckle at that story around the braai!

2014 Trip

Punda Maria 14 April
Shingwedzi 15/16 April
Letaba 17/18/19 April
Berg n Dal 20/21 April

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:35 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Actually one of my better memories of Kruger ...

On an afternoon amble on Nyalaland wilderness trail in 1992 a matriarch elephant appeared from behind a clump of lebombo ironwood trees knocking one over with ease and charged without hesitation from perhaps 50 metres or further distant , the ranger fired a warning shot which stopped her - after he had told us to retreat - which we did - I had such an adrenalin boost my strides felt as if I was on springs - as if I was running on the moon .
After all had calmed down the ranger & the tracker were having a discussion , I noticed them freeing a jammed round in the rifle that the tracker would have used to shoot the elephant had it not stopped after the warning shot .
The walk was terminated and we went to the banks of the Levuhvu for some quiet introspection .

My 1st close up on foot encounter in 1987 on the Olifants trail - this one retreated after hand clapping and shouting and wood and stone was projected in its direction .

An exciting experience , no photo to show how close he was before turning , we were herded away behind vegetation at the time , I was probably more worried about the possibility of bloodshed than taking more photos .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
I won't call it worst experience, but not so lekker experience, and elephants were also involved.
We were travelling from Skukuza to lower Sabie and stopped at one of the smaller roads close to the river to have some coffee.
While pouring the hot water from a flask into my cup, an elephant suddenly appeared from behind some bushes and approached us, making one helluva noise.
Now, my mug was clutched between my legs and when the ellie started to scream at us, the steaming hot water missed the mug and fell on a very sensitive place between my legs.
Ouch, eina.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

OUCH Rooies. :doh:

I can just picture it: the elephant charging, steam rising from your lap, and you doing a contorted wiggle dance of pain while trying to shift into gear and drive away. All you would be missing is some Benny Hill music playing in the background.

Great experiences, ndloti. Plenty of "what ifs", but everything ended well both times for man and elephant.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:56 pm 

Rooies :slap: can well believe that may go down as not such a nice experience!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:19 pm 

Our worst experience was in 1983, we were on our way out from Satara to Numbi Gate when our car broke down with a faulty voltage regulator.
It was New Years day we were next to Mantimahle Dam, there were two Cheetah about 200 metres away from us, which we could not approach.
A passerby kindly went to the AA in Skukuza and the late Uncle Dick kindly came out to help us.

He put his car battery in our car and told us to follow him without stopping to Skukuza, where he repaired the alternator.

The sad part was that we had never seen Wild Dog before and had to drive past about 5 lying under a tree right next to the road just before the bridge on the H12 :( Mama Faru.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:15 pm 

On honey moon in 2001 on a night drive in Shingwedzi between a mom ellie and her baby, she took grass with roots and all mixed with soil and threw us with it, when the driver realized that we are in some what of a bad spot and decided its time to go we where covered in dust and sand.
She charged us for about 50 m and went back to her calf.
It was very quiet after the incident and one of the American visitors calmly said " We must admit, that ellie have a good aim"

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:09 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

My worst experience was with my youngest son.
We had just been on the Buff pastry AGM with Theuns & family and Wacktazz at Doispan and that morning were making our way home via skuks to leave at croc bridge.
Unbeknown to me my then 3 year old son had been extremely hungry and helped himself large amounts of peanuts and cashew nuts.

Needless to say the next morning the abundance of these nuts had time to work the system and we just managed to get to Skukuza when an accident happened and he just was not quick enough to get to the bathroom.
Washed and changed, thought maybe should not go long route but head for Malelane.
Nearly made Afsaal but didn't.
Next change of clothes.
Tried to make Malelane and also came up short.
Another change of clothes.
Now it was really getting scary as we weren't sure how much was left, but there was still over 400km to go and running out of change of clothes.
Was the longest scariest drive home.
Needless to say, he hasn't touched any peanuts since. :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:09 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
These latest stories of tough men almost reduced to tears reminded me of the time my dad & I arrived in LS from CB and he asked 'where is the breakfast'. I said 'I thought you packed it in". Oh dear.

We had to order from the cafeteria, but all was not lost. When the coffee arrived, the old b*gg*r put his hand into his jacket pocket and pulled out the hipflask with the Amarula, so it was not a complete disaster, he had got the priorities right. :roll:

Last edited by Bush Baptist on Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:45 pm 

I don't know if anybody is going to beat this one, just filled my tank at lower sabie and was heading for Skukuza, decided to do the N'watimhiri causeway and after about 2km on the dirt road,the kombi lost engine power, I thought that maybe I had put in the wrong fuel, tried a few times but in vain, it was dead quiet.
Suddenly a huge herd of elephants emerged from the riverbed, oh my, the kids starting going frantic after previous incidents with elephants, I tried to keep them calm, when suddenly a car came from the front.
I stopped the driver and ask him to please send some help from l/Sabie,
In the meantime I did notice a huge bull elephant just behind one of the trees about 50m away from us but kept quiet about it.
The driver when a little forward, saw the elephant and reversed back,to inform us that we should be very silent as there is a huge bull elephant very close by and drove off.
All broke loose in the kombi, kids crying frantically.
Luckily a few minutes later a d/cab bakkie arrived and I requested the caring person to please bundle us in the back of his bakkie and drive us to l/Sabie, he obliged without hesitation.
It took us a further 4 hours for help to come from Skukuza and we were towed back to Skukuza, passing a leopard sighting which we could not stop for, for obvious reasons,
the problem was so simple, the fuel relay pipe was not making contact and it took the mech. a mere 5 minutes to sort out.
An episode that will remain with us forever.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next