Skip to Content

PROHIBITION OF DRONES IN THE KNP

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:27 pm

South African National Parks (SANParks) would like to warn individuals against flying of unmanned aerial vehicles (such as drones) either for game viewing, filming, photography or any other purposes during their visit/stay in any of the National Parks, particularly the Kruger National Park (KNP). This practice is illegal as National Parks are legislated protected areas with restricted airspace, therefore a no-fly zone for all unauthorized aircraft systems.

“We have had two incidents reported by tourists in the KNP recently of people flying such aircraft illegally, getting out of vehicles on undesignated areas, interfering in sightings; disturbing and stalking animals; only to feign innocence upon questioning. We would like to inform such people and other drone users that, should they be found flying them in the Park at any time, they will be arrested on the spot and their equipment will be seized”, said KNP’s General Manager, Communications & Marketing, William Mabasa.

Not only is this a contravention of the NEMA Protected Areas Act, but there are also restrictions in terms of the aerial filming rights and therefore an infringement of SANParks’ filming/photography policy. The NEMA Protected Areas Act states that “it is illegal to fly below 2,500 feet above the highest point of any national park, including the KNP, with any aircraft/drone without the express permission of the Management Authority of the particular National Park i.e. SANParks.

“These kinds of incidents can negatively impact on the wellbeing of animals as well as the experience of other visitors. We would like to specifically thank the guests, who reported one of the incidents to the nearest camp. We would also like to encourage all law abiding citizens to report such incidents to the Emergency Call Centre numbers 013 735 5516/076 801 9679 so that these people can be caught in the act”, concluded Mabasa.
… Ends
Issued by:
Communications & Marketing Department - Kruger National Park. Contact: Tel: 013 735 4262, cell: 082 807 1441 or email: laura.mukwevho@sanparks.org

Enquiries either:
William Mabasa, General Manager: Communication & Marketing, Kruger National Park. Contact: Tel: 013 735 4363, cell: 082 807 3919 or email: william.mabasa@sanparks.org or

Reynold “Rey” Thakhuli, SANParks General Manager: PR, Media and Stakeholder Relations. Tel: 012 426 5203; Cell: 073 373 4999; Email: rey.thakhuli@sanparks.org
Sawubona
Dalene

leervis

Re: PROHIBITION OF DRONES IN THE KNP

Unread postby leervis » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:50 am

Y A Y !!!!!!!!

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RemiE » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:02 am

Very few times it boggles my mind what people can get up to next, seeing as plenty people get up to plenty of stupid things. But this? Didn’t see this one coming :wall:

I couldn’t help but laugh in dismay when I read this. Cannot wait to see what the next ‘brilliant’ light bulb moment entails. Why o why would one want to fly a drone in Kruger National Park?? Except to hunt down potential poachers??

“Let’s attached this video camera to this drone and fly it to the animal for a better view” :tongue:

Thank you SANParks for putting a swift stop to this madness :thumbs_up:
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: KNP Dawn to Dusk Jan/Feb 2015

Carol g
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Carol g » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:53 am

What next :shock: :big_eyes:

Sanparks catch these stupid people, take away thier toys and lock them up :evil:
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Son godin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:00 pm

Glad an official notice was issued reminding visitors that it is not allowed. The use of drones were already observed by forumites in 2013 in KTP and Kruger that lead to the KTP rule. Now we need to see this rule clearly stated on visitor permits at all NP.

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2028226#p2028226
KTP a place where you can quench your thirst

Shutterbug

Unread postby Shutterbug » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:43 am

I find it very sad that people have to be told not do fly drones in the park, it should be common sense???

suebfly

Unread postby suebfly » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:10 am

Sadly drones seem to be here to stay - they are used more and more all over the world in many applications. I just hope and pray that the parks are able to control this as they certainly could become very annoying

Weltenman
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Weltenman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:26 pm

How else are we supposed to confirm that the leopard is lying just behind that bush? :?: I blame the KNP Management....if they would just keep the grass short we wouldn't have this issue. :whistle:
Study the past, if you would divine the future.
Confucius

Weltenman
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Weltenman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:38 pm

barryels wrote:
Weltenman wrote:I blame the KNP Management....if they would just keep the grass short we wouldn't have this issue. :whistle:

If this will work for KNP, what about KTP Weltenman :wink:

Ermm...maybe more roads so you are able to drive to where the animals are....just over that dune :big_eyes: , again a management problem if I have ever seen one... :whistle:
Confucius

Imberbe

Unread postby Imberbe » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:42 pm

I am available for drone patrols ... I will shoot them down on sight! :dance: :twisted:
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Weltenman
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Weltenman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:37 pm

Dup wrote:I will not leave the road....... but wait for the day.... I saw one landed...

Could we or will it be possible if we could get feedback about the outcome of the actions taken by the Kruger officials.
Thank's

I agree Dup, while we can joke this is a serious matter that needs to be followed up. Hopefully if this happens in future those breaking the rules will be caught and will be dealt with accordingly.
Confucius

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Stark » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:03 pm

As long as we're having fun, shouldn't we not limit how people enjoy the parks? Just because some of us prefer to view animals while planted on the ground, what makes us right? SANParks must adapt to encompass the holiday desires of virtual fliers, too, or there will be no money! The old ways of enjoying the park from the confines of Planet Earth must be changed to match the times. Maybe drone legalization is the way to go? Maybe the new 50-story hotel can have a "drone deck", just as long as it isn't too close to the roller coaster...and breakfast is included while "droning on and on". One must have breakfast while machines sputter about.

All kidding aside, I was looking into purchasing a drone for some fun, but flying it around a national park would be very disruptive and foolish. Not to mention that some of the best selling makes can be buggy and tend to simply pick a direction and fly like mad until it eventually crashes. There goes an expensive drone, and probably a more expensive camera strapped to it as well. :P I'm sure the baboons will enjoy dismantling any wayward drones.

Glad to see this rule. :thumbs_up:
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb

cheetahlady
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby cheetahlady » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:19 am

:gflower: Well done SANParks. I had the unfortunate experience of a fellow visitor flying a drone over our heads when we were enjoying the peace and quiet of Arches in Utah. We do not need a bunch of buzzing contraptions interupting our holiday, not to mention privacy issues....

Local news had a few drone fails on last night. Lions in Zimbabwe managed to maul a crashed drone and a mother Kangaroo swatted one out of the sky that was bothering her in Australia :thumbs_up:

Proof, in my eyes, that they bother the animals.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Balule, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

Snoobab
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Snoobab » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:56 am

Drones are currently illegal regardless of where you fly them. We are currently meeting with civil aviation authorities to sort this issue out but as it stand unless you register your drone and then log a flight path (like any other aircraft) each time you take off you are flying illegally.
You can apply for special permission to fly (like SANParks do) but this is an ordeal of note and you then have to have the documentation with you at all times. They also won't give you permission for recreational use.

bert

Unread postby bert » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:15 pm

Txs Snoobad for explaining the use of drones
btw, same here in The Netherlands

btw just imagine when watching ellies from you vehicle and suddenly a drone with a camera attached hover above them. What will the ellies do and what might happen to poor me in the vehicle. Might just be that they get the scare of their lives and will happen then....

Return to “Kruger National Park”