Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: LATE ARRIVAL PENALTIES / FEES
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:41 pm 

We paid R200 for late arrival in July this year. We phoned Skukuza about two hours before gate closing time and were told that the late arrival fee was R220. However, the next morning at reception they told us it was R200. (We arrived 20 minutes late at Kruger gate after our flight was delayed and we arrived later than planned in Johannesburg; won't take that risk next time and would rather stay over somewhere before entering KNP.)

Post subject: Re: Gate closing time in summer
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:27 am 

Probably true, but they could always fine those that come back late without a permit.

The best thing would be to just move the gate closing time to 7 pm in the summer. Wishful thinking, I know.

Last edited by skywalker2251 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:05 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

There are a few other things to consider....all of which affect the noise level in camps and the time at which it finishes - another 'hot potato' for complaints!

The shop stays open 30mins after gate closing to allow last minute arrivals to get provisions etc. If it closed later then staff movements and noise that goes with it would go on later.

People would then also be braaing/cooking/eating later and the noise that goes with social activity would continue longer.

Then there is a shorter 'night' for sleeping as the gate opens again early at 0430.... Already some people fall asleep at the wheel.....!

One of the special things about the sunset/night drives is that the roads are free of other guests for most if not all of the drive, If they stayed out later this would not happen and the congestion at special sightings would prevent good viewing, eg.

Whatever time the gates close there will always be those who are late, or who want it to close a little later still......

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:13 pm 

Twigga wrote:
As mentioned before, the main reason is safety.
Ellies become invicible at night, as big as they are.

If this is the case I would think the gates should be closed earlier in the winter. It's much darker at 5:30 pm in June than it is at 7 pm in January.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:55 am 

I totally agree with you skywalker. Even in summer when the gates open at 4:30am. I mean it's still so dark at that time that if the animal doesn't stand in the middle of the road you won't see it. Only at about 4:45am it gets better.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:28 am 

Good morning All...

I always get SO up early and we generally spend the few minutes before gate opening enjoying a cup of coffee before the gates open. Now while it is very dark, it for me is the most "exciting" time of the morning, not knowing what you will find around the next bend.
We have found that generally in the late afternoon, the sightings are few and far between with regards to the predetors who are so active in the morning. I am sure that after dark you will see some amazing sightings, but for that I suggest a night drive etc, as really they are a great treat...

In the park in January we noticed so many guests arriving way after 7:00pm. So imagine if your closing time is 7:30, you will find people arriving at 8:30!!!!

But a good suggestion, which we do often, and have seen amazing sightings, is take a walk around the perimeter after gate closing, with a torch, and you will hear and see amazing sightings. We have seen Hyhena, Leopard, Lions, Elephant, Buff, Civet etc etc etc during a walk along the perimeter fence....

Post subject: Check in times?
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:08 pm 

Hi all,

I did a search and did not find the info I wanted. I want to know if it is possible to check in to the Kruger camps after gate close? Logically it seems yes, but i just want a confirmation before planning routes.
I want to spend as much time as possible in the park and check in when i get into the camp just after gates close.

Regards,

http://www.clicked-on-safari.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post subject: Re: Check in times?
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

As a rule, you can check in about half hour after gate close times, just don't get late to camp. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Check in times?
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:48 pm 

Yes you can, we've done it a few times.
Reception tend to open for about 1/2 hour after the gates close.
Beware though it will be dark and finding your way to the accommodation can be fun!
Plus the shops get very busy at that time, which can get frustrating.

Post subject: Re: LATE ENTRY
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Done it at both Skukuza and CB. CB was a pleasure, Skukuza was a mission. Phone them a few days before your arrival to arrange it. I think you have up until 9pm, but check this. Check your reservation confirmation letter, it should have details.

If you leave Jo'burg at 4pm it'll take you longer than 4 hours due to traffic.

Do a search on this topic, I've posted this stuff before :)

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Post subject: Re: Camp gate opening times
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:41 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi yatiya,

We were in KNP for the Heritage day long weekend and it was rather bright at gate opening time. This is not the case at the beginning of September and I think it is purely for prcatical purposes as gate opening/closing times apply for the whole month. My thoughts anyway - there may be another explanation.

Post subject: Re: Camp gate opening times
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:32 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree that Sept gate times could be 30 min earlier .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject: Late Entry
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm 

On the 18th if March I will be staying a night at Skukuza and then another two at Satara. I booked this holiday only to be given a test that Friday afternoon. So I have decided to utilise a late entry at Paul Kruger gate.

Can anyone give me some details if theyve used this before? Do they allow you to use a light to search for animals? What if you see a leopard in the road will they let u photograph it for five minutes?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next