Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Why did you come?
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:05 am 

Firstly, what a great thread.

I'm a Capetonian and had heard from family up in JHB that they would visit KNP. But it might as well have been on a different continent. We'd always have family holidays along the Garden Route and I kept thinking that KNP can't be that great if all the Vaalies traveled away from the bush for holiday every year.

Years passed and then havingan SO with a dad who is KNP nutcase (that's a compliment) we decided to do a 6 day trip with my Father and brother-in-law to be. Well have I never, this was a turning point in my life. This was in 2006 and I was in my late 20's. Further I was told that due to it being end of Jan the grass will be long and we might not see much for extended periods of time. I had to borrow binocs and had no camera of my own.

We entered via Malelane Gate and not 50 metres inside the park gate and my eyes were scanning the bush ... what was that... :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

I said Stop (I had been informed of the riles of engagement :rtm: :rtm: ). The two 'experts sat in front and were still fiddling with there extensive camera gear. "Ja ja , what have you seen"; they chirped. My Father in Law didn't stop. Then I yelled STOP. They were now confused and I clearly had a reason for this. Look (I pointed to the left) Rhino's. Bugger me blue, he's right. :dance: :dance: We managed to see the big 5 within 24 hours.

That was all it took for me to be hooked on KNP and all it has to offer. These days we travel with a Yellow Ribbon (YR), I have a trusty pair of Binocs, my copy of Roberts KNP Bird Guide and also my weathered SLR as companions. My SO and I have also managed to drag more family members to KNP since then and we return on average every year.

I can never say thank you enough to my father and brother in law for firstly taking us to KNP, but more so that they took the time to show us the little as well as large characters of interest. Not to mention the fact that my SO shares a similar passion for KNP, whilst she maybe isn't that keen on the birds.

May 2014 Trip: Skukuza 10/11 May; Satara 12/13 May; L/Sabie 14 May; P/Kop 15 May.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Grantmissy wrote:
It is so very interesting to read why people from countries outside SA decided to visit Kruger for their first time and how they returned again when it was possible and some even returned again after that … :D :clap: :thumbs_up:

:D Grantmissy, i know you wrote this awhile ago. What i do not understand, is that some people in SA do not even know anything about KNP.....nevemind other Parks. :(

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:42 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
carolv wrote:
Hi Bush Baptist,

Hope you are well.

We have been wanting to visit Kgalagadi for a long time but due to SO's medical issues and the distance from the Park to a hospital we have had to wait. He has just been given the all-clear and finally both kidneys working so it may well be top of our list for next year.

I am indeed, thanks.

Great news on all counts. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Last edited by Guinea Pig on Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:32 pm 

Guinea Pig wrote:
To me it's a wonderful opportunity to give them back something for all they've done for us as children. :k :gflower:
What a wonderful testament GP and I can't wait to hear how they enjoyed their first bush braai! :thumbs_up:

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I fell in love with Africa as a young doctor when I was lucky enough to stay in Arusha and enjoy an extended trip to the Serengeti, Ngorongoro and Tarangire.
In those days, 40 years ago[and a bit more] Tarangire had just been declared as a National Park and the only indication was the gate. We camped where we liked and one night had a pride of lions visible in the firelight.
The magic has never left me and five years living and working in Botswana in the 90's simply reinforced the addiction.
We loved Cape Town and when we retired bought a little flat in the southern suburbs.
For us, it's the accessibility as well as the beauty of the parks that keeps us coming back, and will do as long as we're able [and solvent! Skiing[spending the kids inheritance]
So far we've been to KNP many times, 4 visits to KTP, lots of visits to WCNP, TMNP and the Karoo NP, Addo, Garden route parks,Golden Gate, Mapungubwe and Augrabies. Health and funds permitting, we hope for many more visits.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Elsa wrote:
Guinea Pig wrote:
To me it's a wonderful opportunity to give them back something for all they've done for us as children. :k :gflower:
What a wonderful testament GP and I can't wait to hear how they enjoyed their first bush braai! :thumbs_up:

What a wonderful gesture Guinea Pig :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: brings tears of joy to my eyes :roll: :roll:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015