Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why did you come?
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:54 pm 

When I was 6-7 years old there was a short article on a tv program that showcased Kruger and the presenter stayed at Olifants rest camp. For some reason the view from the camp stuck in my mind and in 2001 (30 odd years later) I visited Kruger for the first time. I'm going back in January 2010 - it will be my 14th visit. Everytime I drive through the gates a smile breaks out and it feels like being home again :D
Since my first visit I've also been lucky enough to visit Umfolozi, Ithala, St Lucia Wetland and Table Mountain game parks in SA and various others in Kenya, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Botswana.
My trip in January will also be my first to Kgalagadi.
I think I may be hooked on Africa - and their game parks in particular.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:13 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Welcome UKLion :D lovely to meet another addict 8)

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:07 pm 

Welcome UKLion hope you enjoy the forums, its not as good as a visit but until then you can enjoy others trip reports, and there is so much to learn from the forumites who have been here so long. Not so long till your trip to SA me and SO off next Saturday! lucky us. :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A very warm welcome UKLion :) You better be warned these forums are addictive too :lol: Nice to have you here :wink: Put a Yellow Ribbon on your car and you might meet other forumites in KTP

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:48 am 

Hi Everyone, I must admit, I have been reading your post for years now. "THANKS" for all the great info & trip reports! :clap:

I came to S.A. for the first time in 2002. This is when I fell in love with the KNP & Africa. Until then it was just a life dream which began with a school report and movies. Africa is a world away from the U.S.!!!
We came back each year and in 2006 packed up the house and moved to S.A. After more than 20 visits into the park I feel I can now add my knowledge to the forums. :D

Below is a little bit from my, myspace page

My so and I have sold the house and moved to South Africa for four years. Apart from missing family and my Cowboy. I love it here! I have seen so, so much and have made some very dear friends. Amos, my Zulu friend has since passed. Thoughts of he and his family are a constant reminder of how hard life in Africa truly is. The landscapes, sunsets, wide open spaces, wildlife are awesome. The people friendly & welcoming. There have been many planned and unplanned journeys. Surprises around every turn. We have just returned from a wonderful safari in Northern Namibia. Etosha National Park, The Skeleton Coast, Damaraland. Camping on the way in Botswana, tent pitched on an island in the middle of a vast salt pan in the shade of ancient baobabs and huge pink granite boulders. "Unbelievable"!!! We are on a journey now to find our own piece of Africa, S.A. Namibia or Zambia perhaps. Go ahead plan your trip!!!

I was shocked at the number of S.A. who had never been into the park. Even more shocked when we were told to never stay inside the park. Thank goodness we didn't listen and booked into 3 diff. rest camps. Each having it's own charm.
There are many parks & reserves in Southern Africa, we have been to quite a few, but (and I think this quote came from the KNP forum)

"Where else has it all, all the time"! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

The Kruger National Park will always be my first "wildlife" love.
There's nothing better than drifting of to sleep with the sound of the bush and nothing more!

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:54 pm 

Welcome Petunia so glad you found the forums, and also Africa and the Kruger. Why does Africa become such an addiction? We intend to come back as often as possible, financially and healthwise, but aren't you lucky that you could fulfill your dream and live there. We keep hoping to win the British Lottery, and we'll be on our way. :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:51 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A very warm welcome to you, Petunia :D

I do hope that we see a lot more of you on the forum.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
It is so very interesting to read why people from countries outside SA decided to visit Kruger for their first time and how they returned again when it was possible and some even returned again after that …

UKLion wrote:
I'm going back in January 2010 - it will be my 14th visit. Everytime I drive through the gates a smile breaks out and it feels like being home again

:D :clap: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:06 pm 

We also found Kruger by chance in 2009 and have been lucky to be able to spend 3 weeks 3 times a year in the park since. :dance: As you can see it has become our obsession but being selfish :naughty: I am not so sure I want the park advertised more as I have enough problems trying to book the camps I want I am in a continue whirl keeping up with all the dates having to book 11 months in advance. What a problem to have :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:51 am 

My other half Matt is South African, now living in the UK, so has always grown up visiting the Kruger every year. I got dragged to the park for the first time in 2009, and i can't say i was looking forward to it at all as its totally not my thing, and being born and bred in the UK, VERY out of my comfort zone...
We have currently just booked my 4th trip, and I cannot wait :D
Even my parents are coming!

2 Nights Bergendal
3 Nights Pretoriuskop
1 EXTRA night Skukuza

3 nights sabie river bungalows

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
My husband said that he will take us to the "best place on earth" and he did and now we are hooked. He lived in Nelspruit before moving to Johannesburg so he had made many, many trips into the park, but he is now convinced that we were "parkies" in the making long before he took us to the Kruger.

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Back in 2008 Mrs. Stark and I were discussing that we wanted to travel somewhere for our anniversary. We discussed Alaska, Europe, etc, and she headed off to bed. I stayed up working and a Nat Geo show about the famous Battle at Kruger YouTube video was on. It got me thinking, so I did some research on flights. I went upstairs and woke her up, suggested Kruger, and said "We could do it!". She was in. I also looked at package deals and found them too expensive. I could put together my own trip for less...so I did. :) I've gone twice now since then, no small feat from Arizona, and am planning my next trip in 3 years. (after another Starkling has left the nest) Maybe this time we'll go to the KTP... :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Small creatures and/or insects (2012)
What a fascinating thread and a question we have been asked on many occasions.

Our very first trip to Africa was our honeymoon in Botswana in 1999 - it was unbelievable and we had an amazing guide who taught us so much and by the time we had to fly home we were hopelessly in love with Africa. No way could we afford a similar trip the next year but the company who put together our honeymoon put together a 'taster' trip in South Africa - self drive and we covered from Kruger, down to the Drakensberg, Durban, PE, Garden Route and Cape Town. That was it...from then on we saved every penny we could to get ourselves back to SA and explore further. We have based holidays around cookery courses, Otter Trail, anything we could give it a try but every time we always had to have time in Kruger and eventually all our trips have been based on KNP. In November we return for the 20th visit!

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:21 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Hey carolv, maybe you should try Kgalagadi next time.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Small creatures and/or insects (2012)
Hi Bush Baptist,

Hope you are well.

We have been wanting to visit Kgalagadi for a long time but due to SO's medical issues and the distance from the Park to a hospital we have had to wait. He has just been given the all-clear and finally both kidneys working so it may well be top of our list for next year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next