Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why did you come?
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:29 pm 

Reading all these stories is quite an eye opener. Exactly one year ago to the day, I returned from a 10 day trip to Brazil. I saw a lot of what that stunning country has to offer, but I would rather be right here next to the KNP. :dance:

I have been coming to the park since I was in Std 4, that was a good 3 1/2 decades ago. :redface:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Dotty, does your SO know about this love affair :shock: ? or is it a love triangle :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:redface: It's a menage-a-trois Pat :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:58 am 

I came to South Africa in 1996 to do volunteer work for two years. I lived in many different places for a few months...Joburg, Witbank, Bloomfontein, Vereeniging, Gaborone (Bots), and fortunately, Nelspruit. While in Nelspruit I was fortunate enough to have time to go to Kruger a few times. That was enough to hook me for life.

Now I just suffer withdrawal for 350 days a year waiting for my next trip.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:29 am 

I think it was 1998 we wanted tot go on a safari-holiday in Tanzania, but friends of ours adviced us not to go there. It was political unstable so we went to South Africa. A trip from Jo'burg to Cape Town and some visits to Kruger and Addo. I still remember the first 500 metres in Kruger. We saw buff's and and a lot of impala's. So we stopped at every impala but everybody drove on, no-one stopped. :hmz:
At that moment we didn't realize we would do the same at the end of the day :lol:
But from that moment we were in love with Kruger and all the wildlife-experiences. So since then, at least 2 times a year we have to go to South Africa and we lock our selve up in Kruger. :cam:

Ruud

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:13 am 

My Mom and Dad brought me so I had no choice :D

I was 4 years old the first time and we kept coming back every year for most of the 70's. Camping in and round the area with my family (Tannie en Oom spent 3 months every year in Kruger). Then we stopped when I was 13 years old and I haven't been back since :cry: :cry: :cry:

BUT....................

That will change soon. :dance: :clap:

9 days to go......!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:43 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

nothsafoto wrote:
BUT....................

That will change soon. :dance: :clap:

9 days to go......!!

In advance Nothsafoto, a warm welcome back! :D Hope you have a great time, and give us a trip report on your return with lots of :cam: !!

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:23 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I have said this before, but what the heck....

My parents 'escaped' from the northwest of England in 1956 when my dad took a job opportunity. He sold woodworking machines, as a techie, to among others, the sawmills of the Sabie area.

He was told about Kruger and took us there regularly. My mom died and my brother now has other interests, but my wife & I have been many times. Our children came on many trips until they left school. All 3 still enjoy it and go when they can.

In 2000 we 'expanded' to Kgalagadi, and that is another addiction, as is Addo.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:29 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

My Dad was working in Swazi with my step Mom....and had told us they were going to "The Kruger". I had NO idea what that was :roll: ...so I Googled it and found this Forum....signed up, loved it and went to "The Kruger" with them in '08.

Now I can't wait to go back..... :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:34 pm 

Seems all of us foreigners fall in love with SA and the Kruger, but I wonder if Sanparks are advertised enough abroad. I never feel that these package tours really get the "feel" of the country which is such a pity. :(

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:17 pm 

I came to Kruger with SO for a self imposed 60th birthday present.

I am a keen photographer who has always had an interest in wildlife.

I had seen a Virgin Holidays self drive tour 2centre tour and as Virgin fly to Joburg/Cape Town, the holiday is relatively cheap when airfare is included. We always have a car from Joburg included in the deal, SA fuel costs are low compared with the UK, your major roads are good for the most part and I believe the standard of driving is at least as good as here in the UK.

We always stay outside because my wife will sometimes stay at the hotel and we visit the waterfalls, Graskop and Blyde. I have stayed in the Sabi Sands (leopard Hills Absolutely fabulous but it was an upgrade as oyr booked lodge had burnt down)and this year am combining a 3 night stay at Kirkmans as well as our usual 5 days in Kruger.

As long as we are able we will continue to come, I would even emigrate given the chance, I could not imagine a better end to life than being in the park every day.

I have never seen SanParks advertising in the UK, given that there will be thousands of football supporters in SA next year, you would think they would be trying to get people to see what this glorious country has to offer besides football.

Next visit Jan 15th 2014 13 Days

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:40 pm 

Nearly time for your trip Wmahon465, we are also off to SA 0n the 26th Sept but wont be in the Kruger until the 20th October. Like you we would emigrate there if finances permitted, still family is here. Re the advertising for the Kruger perhaps we should all keep it a secret so there is only us foruimites there so not so much crowding! Enjoy your trip hope you get lots of sightings. :cam:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Lovely to read of all our foreign mites and their first experiences of South Africa and the KNP.

I trust that a Mod will bring these comments to the attention of the SANParks Public Relations Office. :thumbs_up:

Needless to say, because we all share love and respect for animals, there is a common denominator! :dance: :clap: :thumbs_up:

PS.

Sprocky wrote:
I have been coming to the park since I was in Std 4, that was a good 3 1/2 decades ago. :redface:

Hiya GRAMPS, soOOOO sorry to say, but you are much older than the OOM and I!!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Why Kruger? well after a very long, 25 years!, experience in international tourism and work in East African national parks I found a place well organised and managed compared to what I was used to.
My first two visits to SA were confined to business trips to Joburg and Suncity. Eight years ago, 2001, for my honeymoon I wanted to show my future wife what Africa was and organised, together with a dear friend living in Joburg, my/our first self drive tour to Kruger. Needless to say we both fell in love with the park, its wildlife, scenery, camps and people.

This year was a special year, I hit my 50th b/day!, and where else could I take my family if not Kruger National Park. It wasn't a honeymoon trip any more but there was a 7 year old smart son with us and I wanted him to see directly mother nature at its best. Two full weeks touring the park from Punda Maria to Lower Sabie and back up to Letaba was something very special and my son now considers himself a "Kruger boy".

Why again in the future? simply because it still is one of the best destinations in Africa and South Africans should be very very proud of it.
When people accuse me of turning my back to the East African National Parks I simply answer that the day they manage to get their act together in the same way then they'll merit something more. Am I drastic? I don't think so!

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

By chance! In february 2008 I decided that the destination of our next winter break was going to be South Africa. The internet was browsed from a to z and the itinerari was decided. Trip Advisor "decided" our hotel in Cape Town and on their web site there was an offer for a 3 day stay in a private game lodge just outside KNP. The game lodge was contacted (I never accept "offers" without controlling at the source) and booked directly with the lodge. Looking for an information I ended up in the Sanparks forum and a few days later I cancelled 3 days here and 3 days there and we went self driving through the KNP! Since the first day on the forum I have never left it for more than a few days at a time not even on holiday, and next destination is KTP!!

P.S. Browsing internet and also information from travel agencies is all concentrated on private game lodges.

Last edited by Micetta on Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next