Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: On the other side of the fence...
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:18 pm 

Hi all. Don't know if this was discussed previously...but has anyone seen something REALLY special on the other side of the fence? We stayed at Bateleur in the early 90's. One night a staff member came to call us where we all sat around the fire at the outside lapa...his eyes were like :big_eyes: When we finally managed to translate the Shangaan / Zulu he was babbling, we followed him. Right next to Swempie (the hut furthest from the lapa) 12 lions caught a zebra. They chased it through the dry Mashokwe spruit and into the fence, the fence was bent badly and black and white hair stuck to it everywhere :cry: We watched them feed and fight over the meat and could not believe this awesome sight. The one lioness gave a mock charge :pray: to where we were standing - a few feet from the fence obviously! For a long time afterwards the night was filled with moans and groans from the feeding family. It was absolutely amazing, especially as we were staying in Swempie.

Have seen the big five and cheetah more than once from the hide at the waterhole at Talamati. Also had a herd of elephant at the fence at Talamati last year July (on the banks of the Nwasisontso, not at the waterhole). The matriarch was so laid back, bragging with her cute calf. They mowed the grass outside the fence and we spent a wonderful few hours with her.

Looking forward in reading your stories.

STOP HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER!!

"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right" -Nelson Mandela.

Post subject: Re: On the other side of the fence...
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:big_eyes: Nothing that special but we witnessed a hyeana catfight at Satara just behind the fence in front of the main campsite. A rather big mess that was. Friends of mine were charged by an elephant at Punda Maria fence. :lol: It was feeding at night and the guy next to them shone a spotlight directly into its face. Elephant took exception.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:23 pm 

In the days before my SO saw sense, he was outside our bungalow at Berg-an-Dal, having a smoke. He heard something and came in to get a torch. We had the last bungalow and right by the fence was a white rhino, casually grazing away. He wasn't at all spooked by our watching him and we spent about half an hour watching him before it got too cold and we had to go in.

On another occasion at Tamboti we watched an elephant slowly walk along the bank on the opposite side of the river. At the same time we watched as the afternoon walk from Orpen stood frozen to the spot for 2 hours waiting for him to disappear.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:28 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

While setting up camp at Shingwedzi an ellie with a short trunk came and stood nearby watching me. He waited about 20 minutes, decided I was doing OK and wandered off.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Saw a black rhino and calf in the river bed at Biyamiti. Sadly quite dark so pics were very poor {see hook lipped rhino thread] but still a great thrill!

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:02 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Not seen but heard loud and clear, camping at Crocodile Bridge right against the fence with Dad, Mom and sibs, in the early hours of the one morning the rest of my family heard a pride of lions kill a zebra just on the other side of the fence. They and half the camp were standing at the fence in their pj's trying to see the commotion, but just heard a HUGE frenzy.

And guess what.....I SLEPT THROUGH THE WHOLE THING...... :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

The therapy has been helpfull but I cant forgive myself yet :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:47 am 

Saw some elephants at Croc Bridge next to fence at camping site.
Jan this year had a genet inside camp at Berg en Dal.
Dec we had a bush baby in tree close to fence at Lower Sabie, and off course basically at every camp we camped next to fence, hyenas. :D

But leelee, were never so fortunate as you were :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:13 am 

Camping at Skukuza a couple of years ago, we heard the most terrible sounds and howling coming from just beyond the perimeter fence. The whole camping communitee ran to the spot and what we saw actually makes my stomach turn up to today! The resident hyena's tackled an old mangy Lion about 1 metre away from the fence and disembowled him. he charged the spectators and everybody went running All you could hear were mothers shouting at children, dad's spilling their beer, and a lot of athletes tripping over tent pegs!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was a real scary evening! :shock:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:26 am 

a great sighting I had were several hyenas at balule running around right next to the fence making their usual, awesome sounds
it was so loud and very exciting to hear!

and it happened at full moon, so you could see it very clear even without a torch

on my next trip I`ve booked many units right at the fence
so we will have a look around more often and will try to go to sleep later :wink:

KNP-trip No. 8: 2014!
30 November: Pretoriuskop
1-2 December: Lower Sabie
3-4 December: Satara
5-6 December: Balule
7-8 December: Letaba
9-10 December: Tamboti

1993, 1995, 1998, 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2013. Next trip coming up!

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:33 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Mgulube wrote:
Camping at Skukuza a couple of years ago, we heard the most terrible sounds and howling coming from just beyond the perimeter fence. The whole camping communitee ran to the spot and what we saw actually makes my stomach turn up to today! The resident hyena's tackled an old mangy Lion about 1 metre away from the fence and disembowled him. he charged the spectators and everybody went running All you could hear were mothers shouting at children, dad's spilling their beer, and a lot of athletes tripping over tent pegs!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was a real scary evening! :shock:

WOW!!! What an experience. :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:08 pm 

Hi Guys

When is an over Lander guide for Bundu, we stopped at Marola camp, I was preparing dinner. I told the clients to walk around along the fence, because there is always a chance you might see something. While I was chopping the inions I heard the baboons going mad, one of the clients told me the hyena had just killed a baboon next to the fence. When I got there, the hyena was gone. Werst of all they had it all on video, I am still jealous. : wall: :wall: :wall:

The other time we were at Berg and again I was cooking, told them to go to the dam, when they came back they said they saw an animal with spots and looked like a cat. ( Leopard) :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Moral of the story
EAT LATER :slap:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:14 pm 

Hi

Here's my list:

Byamiti: -Lions in riverbed almost everytime we stay there, White rhino,Large buffalo herds, porcupine, a leopard pulled an impala into a tree right in front of house nr 6 (I think). A python also got stuck in the fence once and the ranger had to cut him out.( Python was unhurt)

Letaba:Cheetah on opposite side of river.

Orpen: Elephant pushed down a tree right behind house nr 15- was pretty nerve wrecking to stand there!

Talamati: Rhino, elephant, hyena.

Skukuza: Leopard

Tamboti: Civet, hyena

Just the "major" sightings that came to mind!

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:52 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sitting in front of my hut in Balule in the midday heat and hearing some noises out of the bush. And then they came close to the fence. A small herd of ellies.
And in the evening, i braai for my self 4 hyenas patrouilling at the fence. The first moments i was nervous, but later it was wonderful to have such nice neighbours 8)

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:04 am 

Amazing stuff.

The last two times my wife, Nicola, and I have camped at Punda Maria the exact same thing has happened. Just as I've gotten into the shower and turned on the water I've heard Nicola calling me from outside the gents' ablutions telling me there are lion at the waterhole near the hide!

Camping at Letaba one time I heard a scratching and ripping noise in the long grass about 20 metres from the fence. I got up on the bonnet of my Land Rover to get a better look and saw a young leopard that had just caught a guinea fowl and was munching away on in, lying low in the grass while all us humans were going about our business in the campground!

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:44 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
What spectacular experiences 8)

I think my best fence experiences were at Tamotie and Punda.

I once sat at sundowner time watching a small group of Kudu yougsters playing "tag" on the dry river bed.
Another time I was woken up by a strange noise. I got up to investigate and it was an ellie munching away outside my tent. Had I been able to slide down the embankment, I could have touched him.

At Punda a gaint herd of buffalo came to the nearly dry water hole for an evening drink. We braaied our meat to the sound of hundreds of these beasts a few metres away.

Also at Punda, we watched a Gaint Eagle owl eat his supper of some sort of small rodent. It was in a large tree overlooking the waterhole.