Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: All day driving vs morning & late evening driving?
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:05 am 

:dance:
Bush Baptist wrote:

Africa is not for sissies.
:clap:

I prefer a combination of styles (the compromise, in dutch called 'poldermodel' :wink: )
One day we will drive from early morning till closing time, the other day we will leave early and return to camp to relax and later go out again, another day we will stay in camp for the morning and enjoy breakfast and quietness there and go out in the afternoon... :mrgreen:

Sightings are mostly based on being lucky, and I can't say Ive seen more on whole day drives than on part day drives...

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:32 am 

We are @ Olifants at the moment. We left @ 7am yesterday and drove to Letaba and then to Mopani and stayed out until 3. We had amazing sightings of crocs,buffalo,zebra etc and eleven sightings of elephants including some having mudbaths and five bulls who blocked the road just outside Letaba,and mock charhed a bakkie:) The birds were incredible....too many to mention. It was nice and warm-30 degrees.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:47 pm 

Because we usually stay at a resort just outside the Park, we always do the all day driving as day visitors.
The few times that we did stay inside the Park we also did the all day driving thing because that is what I was used to from my childhood visits and the believe that you can only see animals if you are " out on the road "

This did not suit the rest of the family and limited visits to the Park to only once every few years.
This year we will be doing the morning and afternoon drives and enjoy the pool at Pretoriuskop during the heat of the day.
I might sneak off for a midday drive though because old habits die hard. :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Kameleon wrote:
:dance:
Bush Baptist wrote:

Africa is not for sissies.
:clap:

I prefer a combination of styles (the compromise, in dutch called 'poldermodel' :wink: )
One day we will drive from early morning till closing time, the other day we will leave early and return to camp to relax and later go out again, another day we will stay in camp for the morning and enjoy breakfast and quietness there and go out in the afternoon... :mrgreen:

Sightings are mostly based on being lucky, and I can't say Ive seen more on whole day drives than on part day drives...

Kameeon, I like what you do because we also do the same :)

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:57 am 

I expect to do some of both on most trips, although usually less during the summer when it's hotter in the afternoon hours. As I'm from the states, I like to make the most of my limited time in the park and be out as much as I can.

I always leave camp as soon as the gate opens, and stay out until 9 or 10 o'clock. Then we'll come back to camp for breakfast. After breakfast we'll do another drive, generally driving towards waterholes to see any activity there. Around noon or so we'll come back to camp and have lunch, visit the pool or take a nap or relax around camp. Then head out again around 3-4 o'clock for our afternoon drive.

But this is all dependent on the sightings we see. If we're seeing lots, or if the temperature is cooler, we'll just stay out.

I had one occasion where we spotted some cheetah on the tar road south of satara, just south of the S126. It was mid afternoon and very hot. The cheetah were extremely far from the road and were difficult to see because they were lying in the shade of a tree. We hoped that they would get up and come closer to the road. So our choice was, leave and come back later just before it starts to cool down, but risk the chance that they move and we can't relocate them, or stay with them during the hot hours till it cools down.

We decided to wait them out. So with the car shut off, we endured the heat at watched them from afar. Cars came and went. Many drove by without even stopping. Some would stop or slow, look around for a minute but not see what we had seen, then drive off. And some would pull up and ask us what we saw, and after a little direction they'd find the cheetah. Dozens of other cars saw cheetah they most likely wouldn't have seen if we hadn't stuck around (yes, I'm giving myself a pat on the back).

Two hours of this went by, before it eventually it started to cool down. The cheetah got up from underneath the tree. It was now the moment of truth. Would them come towards the road like we had hoped? Or would they walk away from us and further out of sight? They began moving south, parallel to the road. I turned on the engine and turned around to follow, hoping they would edge closer to the road. And they did, ever so slowly they meandered towards the road. And then as the got 50 meters or so from the road, they turned sharply towards the road, walking directly towards the car. They crossed the road right in front of us and headed off to the other side.

Our afternoon drive during the heat of the day had been rewarded. And while they would have still been there if we'd gone back to camp and come back later, you can never know what will happen, so that's why I prefer to spend as many hours out as I can.

Apologies for getting a little off topic here, I just started typing and couldn't stop. :redface: