Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: All day driving vs morning & late evening driving?
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:39 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Eddie29,

We also leave when the gates open and return when they close. My 12 year old son won't have it any other way!!! :roll: We do stop at a picnic spot somewhere for brunch, or return to camp for a quick dip in the pool, otherwise it's go, go, go! :D And I have to say we have had some fantastic sightings in the heat of the day! :dance:

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:59 am 

Hi Eddie,

We do an early morning drive and are generally back in camp by 10am and leave for an afternoon drive at about 3:30pm. I have 3 kids under the age of 10 and all day in the car is too long for them.

I remember KNP as a kid with my folks who chose to drive all day and it took an element of enjoyment away for me as a kid.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:05 pm 

We also prefer morning and afternoon drives, especially in summer.

During the heat of the day we laze around camp, go for a swim and so on.

During the winter months, we sometimes stay out for the whole day, but I still prefer the morning and afternoon drives.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
We normally leave when the camp gates open, and return at about 5pm. We always stop at a picnic site, make breakfast (sometimes bacon/eggs etc or oats/rusks and tea). Some days we are really tired. Our next trip in July 2012,things are going to be different. We are going out early, stopping to make breakfast, drive a bit more, then return to camp, relax,snooze then we will go out again in the afternoon and return just before gate closing time :hmz: :hmz:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Our preference is early morning drives. In November 2011 we were in Skukuza and it was very hot but we drove in the midday heat and we saw new born impala’s and an impressive herd of elephant from those loops against the river. Kruger can surprise any time of the day

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:22 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We usually leave at gate opening time (just depends on SO and the kids if they are ready in time) and return between 11:00 and 12:00 to the camp for relaxation at the swimming pool or a nap ect. We go out again for the last two hours before gate closing time.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A lot depends on the season.

'The Book' says that wildlife hunker down during the middle of the day... but we prefer to visit in winter (we don't do hot :roll: ) and have discovered that a lot of animals haven't read 'The Book. We had lots of good sightings in the middle of the day.

Horses for courses, if it's summer you may need to get out of the mid-day sun yourself (only mad dogs and Englishmen....). In winter the rules may change somewhat.

(Usain Bolt August 2012)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:36 am 

My Kruger routine:

Out the gate at 6h00. 2 hour drive to a picnic spot for breakfast. 2-3 hour drive back to camp for a siesta or few pages of a book. Then 3-6pm for the aftenoon action...

:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My recent routine was at the gate ready at 5.45am out and drive slowwwwwww heading for a breakfast spot. Then drove slowwwww till lunch time, then slowwwww again till 5.30 gates close. Out all day shower food bed pooped. Did this the 2 weeks in the park had some fantastic sightings and would not have done it any other way was awesome. :D

7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I like to cover ground and see various contrasted areas. This year I want to visit the Sweni hide from Tamboti, which is a bit of a long drive but it can be a whole day out perhaps? From Mopani another whole day out will include Red Rocks, Shingwedzi and the S50 back. All other days we plan to go out in the morning, back for lunch and then out in the evening again, apart from days when we move camps when we will probably just set off at 6am and drive till we arrive!

My slight problem with all day driving is that I like to do some exercise; a run, swim or a stiff walk. This year (our 2nd visit) we will try and find areas to stop, where we can stretch our legs a bit e.g. a camp with a little trail etc. We will also do a 10 hour hike around Blyde the day before Kruger, in order to prevent leg fidgetiness! If the wilderness trails were a little cheaper, then maybe we would do one of them too.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:52 am 

I drive all day, from the camp gates opening to approx. a minute before they close.

I do intersperse the driving with stops at rest camps to get a drink, stretch the legs, use the ablutions and of course look at sightings boards.

I also stop at any hides and lookouts on my route of the day just to stretch the legs and take in Kruger!

Some of my best Leopard sightings, including a female with very young cub, have happened around midday, between 12 and 2, so I will continue to keep up my usual routine.

It makes for long days and I am utterly exhausted by the end of 8 days, but totally worth it for me!

Back in July for my next Kruger fix!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:37 am 

Hi,

What we do is sleep during the heat of the day and then go out at about 15:00pm because we found that there are no animals around during the heat of the day. They all are resting under trees and bushes.

Samantha

22 August - Letaba
9 - 12 December - Lower Sabie
Kruger 2015
28-31 March - Orpen

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:50 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Actually Mant, we have had some of our best sightings in the midday heat, including the elusive Cheetah I had spent four months "hunting down" last year to break my 3 year Cheetah drought!!! :whistle: :lol: :lol:
Though I agree, the law of averages probably agrees with you. :thumbs_up:

I think it is all down to personal preference, and as others have said, if you have kids you need to do what's best for them. :thumbs_up:

Also for those unlucky enough to only have a very short stay in the parks, they probably need to spend as much time as possible there. :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:05 am 

We have been camping in Kruger every June/July over the past two decades. The 'fever' rubbed off on my children (who are both married now) also. Towards the end of May every year, the Kruger itch becomes unbearable! When the kids were still with us, we used to do the morning and afternoon drive routine. The third day would sometimes be a whole day out, but with at least a two hour lunch break at some picnic spot or camp.We normally camp for 8 -10 days, almost always in one camp for the whole period.Nowadays the Mrs and I will often do only one afternoon drive and spend the morning in camp, reading or bird watching, with a good siesta also. Nothing can beat the peaceful, quiet atmosphere in most of the Kruger Camps when the crowds are out on the roads (this does not include Skukuza, which we don't like for obvious reasons!)

From 5 - 14 July 2013 it's going to be Punda Maria for some serious birding ... can't wait!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:21 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
When I took my octogenarian father (a week a year, sometimes twice) we would be out at gate opening and back late afternoon. In later years, on the middle day, we would lie in - even tough old people get tired - and do chores after getting up.

We started this routine after one fruitless hot middle of the day, I found a tree on the S36 and parked in its shade and we kipped for about 90 minutes as we were exhausted. We might have missed something great. We will never know.

Africa is not for sissies.