Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: All day driving vs morning & late evening driving?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:12 am 

Hi to all

Just wondering normally when we are at the Kruger we get in the car and drive all day long and this is most of the time a bit of a strain on the family, now i was wondering is this really the way to go or would my chances of seeing something be just as good if we set off early in the morning returning to the camp at let say 11:00 and then only set off at about 15:00 in the evening?

Or as i prefer get in the car in the morning make normal stops during the day and go back to the camp just before gate closes?

Post subject: Re: All day driving vs Morning and late evening driving?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:22 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Eddie,

I think it really depends a lot on the time of the year you are going. In summer time it really will be better doing the morning and afternoon driving.

During winter it is possible driving the whole day, as it is not that hot, and animals will move during the whole of the day, grazing and drinking(sounds good hey) :twisted: .

But, I know some people will drive the whole day in summer as well.

I have a little daughter, and in summer it really is better to rest in the siesta time, or let het swim, and then drive again in the afternoon.

It is different to every family's situation and possibility's.

:)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:20 am 

hey Eddie, we are all day drivers but we stop a lot and i mean a lot (4 hours at lake panic) so the strain of driving all day isn't that bad for us but then it is just my s/o and i. if we had kids i think it would be a totally different story.
you could be sitting your kids up for bad memories of the park...lol "oh no, we are going to sit in the car the whole day" type of memory for them and i don't think that will make them fans of the park...lol!
yes, we have seen tons because we drive all day but would we do it if we had kids, no way. my s/o grew up going to the park (took her first steps at lower sabie) and her fondest memories as a kid were the siesta times, swimming, looking for lion ants etc, so i would take the siesta in the midday hours with the kids.
if you and your s/o doesn't like to sit in camp then perhaps you two can work something out like one day you sit with the kids and the s/o takes a drive and then the next day vice/verse that way it keeps you both somewhat happy and the kids are happy.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Eddie,
usually I plan a 2-3 hours siesta, but often enough I cancelled it because I was driving too slow or I just couldn´t get away of something :) I wonder how many km do the all day drivers during one
day? :hmz: I sometimes just make 100-130 km when I´m out all day..

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:43 pm 

I have 2 children. One is 2 years and the other is 6 years.

We usually wake up whenever we want to which is usually anything between 6 and 6-30. Then we usually packed our stuff for brunch the previous night we just pack the cooled stuff before we go.

And then we set off to a picnic spot that is about 50km from our camp. Eating snacks in between but not too much.We usually drive slowly and reach our destination at say about 10 and then we make our bruch. And then we drive back to camp and spend the day there usually at the swimming pool because my son just loves the water. And then we go at about 16-00 for another game drive.

I saw great sightings in the hot hours of the day so I am over the must get up early thing. We go as we feel and we still enjoy every moment.
:clap:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:55 pm 

Hi Eddie,

We are also regular visitors to KNP and have over the past done the all day thing - now we go out early and breakfast at places likk Tshokwane and all the others - Brekkie takes about 2 hours - then either back to camp - not necesarily the one we stay at and rest up
Sometimes go to one of the dams - eg Transport and if we can get the spot under the tree just sit, read and even doze off - amazing what you see

But having time off with family is most important otherwise boredom sets in and the there is nothing worse that whining kids

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:01 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I am not an all day driver, never have been.

I do believe that we have to listen to our bodies, take rests..

I am an early riser, which means that by eleven I am ready to fade.
I will happily do that where I am, under a tree, in a tent, with a friend driving..

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:28 am 

Mrs P and I are lucky enough to spend a lot of time in the parks each year so we no longer go for very long drives.

In fact, we alternate between sometimes just doing a morning or afternoon drive. AS MM says, you have to listen to your body.

We'll often do two early morning starts, leaving when the gates open and returning about 10 or 11 depending on the time of day, then not go out for the rest of the day (I'm lucky/unlucky enough to have work to do most days in the park anyway).

Then, on the third day we'll treat ourselves to a lazy sleep in, but go out for a long afternoon drive, sometimes taking a cold chicken diinner or something similar to have in the landy just before retunring to camp.

The other thing I leanred early on being a keen amateurish photographer is that the the light in the middle of the day is not good for taking pics.

We have a friend who drives all day and thinks we're mad for not spending enough time in the park. But, like I said, we're in no rush.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:07 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I also find that I enjoy the camps more and more. There are often such unexpected sightings along the fence, and the camps themselves offer a wonderful opportunity to see the small, the unusual and the delightful.

On my last trip to Mapungubwe, the camp emptied early and I was the only fortunate person to see a group of Eland on the perimeter of the camp.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:45 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi we tend to do more morning and late afternoon drives starting with coffee and rusks and then onto a picnic site for egg and bacon and and back to camp by 11h30 then laze around the pools until 15h00 and out again, this varies depending on the route for the afternoon or day. We also do one or two full day trips to other camps or areas we are not staying at on that trip so that will be a picnic breakfast long lunch break and back in the afternoon with probably a picnic or bridge stop on the way.
We find viewing does slow down in the heat of the day but have seen some good sightings at midday. the camps are nice to explore around mid day as they tend to be not so busy.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:45 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi we tend to do more morning and late afternoon drives starting with coffee and rusks and then onto a picnic site for egg and bacon and and back to camp by 11h30 then laze around the pools until 15h00 and out again, this varies depending on the route for the afternoon or day. We also do one or two full day trips to other camps or areas we are not staying at on that trip so that will be a picnic breakfast long lunch break and back in the afternoon with probably a picnic or bridge stop on the way.
We find viewing does slow down in the heat of the day but have seen some good sightings at midday. the camps are nice to explore around mid day as they tend to be not so busy.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:55 am 

We usually have at least one day drive, mostly to go to a specific spot we wish to visit otherwise its two trips a day. Too many day trips is like driving to Cape Town and back, it gets to you.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:03 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
This ia moot point, with strong arguments for both.

For all day drives.
1. You can cover greater distances.
2. You can lunch at further camps/picnic sites
3. You are out there maximizing the time
Against
1. It is very tiring if you are not hard core.
2. Often you see little in the heat of the day
For morning & evening drives
1. You can have a break at camp and do chores, sleep or swim etc
2. You can have your main meal so that you can maximize the early morning & late evening
Against
1. If the area is quiet you might see very little

Post subject: Re: All day driving vs morning & late evening driving?
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:12 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
We prefer to do early to mid morning drives and then late afternoon drives. We adore the freshness of the early mornings and the smell of the veldt at the dawn of a new day. The smell of the sun baked veldt in the late afternoons is also very good and after a thunderstorm it is just magical. During the day we prefer being in the camps to enjoy the very special and unique Kruger character and architecture. To us the older section in Shingwedzi is particularly good for that as well as Punda Maria :D .

Post subject: Re: All day driving vs morning & late evening driving?
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:31 am 

we leave when gate opens and come back when gate closes, so we drive all day long, stopping for breakfast and then again around lunch time, it is hard on us but we need to use all the time we have in the knp. In between all this we fit in a night drive just something wonderful about it even if we don't see much its just magic in the bush at night. we always done this in the summer, now we are changing to winter and I am sure it will be much easier. I suppose its all about your own personal needs and limits. Change your routine for a day if you don't like it go back to the drawing board. To me the most important part is you have to enjoy it.