Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 469 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: What's it like to live in Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Many people ask me (and many, many others)- what's it like staying in Kruger
So I've decided to shed some light on the topic. So I would like to invite all my fellow Krugerians (I've just added a new word to the English language) to participate in this topic and tell everyone what makes us tick, what special moments you've had, what scary moments you've had, etc...

I'll start.
I stay in Skukuza, the HQ of the park.
We have 240 houses in the village, plus about 150 rooms in the living qauters. The village has one and two berdroom flats, plus three and four bedroom houses. There are three houses thats privelaged to have their own swimming pool.
We have a large swimming pool, a gym, tennis courts, squash courts, golf course, and marathon club.
My child goes to the same nursery school as my wife did many years back. There are about 60 kids in the nursery and creche.
The primary school has about 140 kids.
We have a staff shop, thats supposed to sell goods to us for cheaper- but thats another story.

The park is one of a few places in the world where you drive to your neighbour at night, which stays right next door!! :D
We have a few incidents every now and then that make us realise that we are blessed like any other person we know, like a leopard that visits you while you are braaing!!

As staff, we are confined to the village at night, but we are allowed to travel to the restcamp and Kruger gate. Any other road at night is forbidden. We are allowed to travel 65 km/hour and 50 at night.
Social life is quite harsh sometimes, because you miss dining out, going to movies etc...
We have a few special accomodation places when we have people over.
Long weekends and Christmas as well as easter is normally hectic, as we stay in a fairly well known holiday resort, so we get many visitors over during this period.

Shall I tell more?
What about funny and/or scary incidents?

Post subject: Re: What's it like to live in Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ready to listen to the "Story of Your Life" :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I knew my (at that stage my soon-to-be) father in law for about two weeks, and I stayed at their place, as accommodation is a huge problem in the park.
One night at about nine, he phoned me to ask me very polightly to open the gate for them, as they were coming from the golf club. I stood there with the gate in my hand, and they were parked in the road, about ten metres from me. They casually waved to me, and I waved back. They waved again, so I returned the gesture.
The next minute two huge Lions walked between me and the car, the one stopping for a few seconds, looked at this dumb idiot (which also went numb), looked at his friend, and dissapeared down the road. So thats my father-in-law.
I stay on the Nwatamiri river and was sitting on my stoep one Friday afternoon, chatting on my cell. The next moment a leopard leapted from a tree in front of my yard, walking up to my fence, casually greeting me and strolling down to the river. Needless to say, that was the end of my conversation.
One of my best and closest calls was about 18 months back when we stayed with friends at a place in the middle of the bush. Long story short, there was two prides of lions mocking each other. We were busy braaing outside. After a while (about nine pm) it all went very, very quite. The next moment my wife shun a torch in the bright yellow eyes of a lioness, crawling towards us, about 10 metres from us. As I jumped into my vehicle to look for the others. And there they were- five or six about twnty metres from us.
If you think thats scary, after about half an hour, the two prides were roaring so lowd that we had to finish our braai in a split second, and go indoors. End of braai, start of a loooonnnnng night, as not all of the rooms has windows, but only diamond mesh

Unread postPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Micetta wrote:
Do you walk about scared all the time or was this only to warm up the atmosphere? :roll:

If you see my big airbag in my stomach, you will realise that I do not. I drive.
As a silent rule we all know the laws of nature and that we are in their territory.
But yes, people jog in the village, others walk around. So its safe in the way that you listen to calls of nature and understand that you must always, always be prepared to meet your Maker. So we are not stupid :huh: but careful.
There are many recorded incidents where people actually walked and came across the odd leopard, lion or ellie

Unread postPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

wacktazz, i ve heard some of your stories sitting chatting to you on your other stoep :lol: , and i know i am going to enjoy reading some more here.

I cant wait till i sit on that stoep again to have some more chats!

Unread postPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

If we talk about rangers....

Many of them live in places thats completely isolated from people. I am thinking of Stolsnek, Vlakteplaas etc.
These guys, and I take my hat off to them, has got no company, except for the staff that works with them.
No social life. No off days. Always available.
Most of these posts has got generator power, so you switch a Microwave on, you switch the TV off, or whatever takes the most power at that stage.
If you want to greet your neighbour, you travel kilos and kilos in raw African country. Some of these guys see some of their colleagues once a year. Point.
So to all of us, appreciate the rangers that not only risk their lives for us, but also give up a big part of their family and personal life!

Last edited by wacktazz on Fri May 15, 2009 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:clap: :clap: :clap: to the rangers!!!

Unread postPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:46 pm 

Thanks for sharing your life with us Wacktazz, :clap:
I think sometimes we get the wrong impression that its all wonderful and forget that as with everything in life there are some disadvantages and downsides, but just a few. :wink:
Will definitely try and meet up in the next couple of weeks, and try one of your buff pasties, missed you in Feb at Nkuhlu and somehow at the cricket as well. :?

Unread postPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:59 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Excellent stories wacktazz.

I have had the opportunity to stay in the Skukuza village quite a few nights as well, though never as a resident. It has a lovely atmosphere with all the big trees, and those Thick-tailed bushbabies screaming at night.

I must say that those fences around the properties are very low, especially at night.

We were once busy having a braai at a friends house. I like sitting for hours just staring in to the fire. His house borders the edge of the town, near to the Sabie. Suddenly, glancing up from the fire my eye just caught something. Everything went in to slow motion!

Grabbing the torch, it was quite a relieve to realise that it was merely a hyena, and that I was actually quite safe. But ... :lol: Good adrenaline.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

billyf wrote:
Thanks for these encounters - :clap: :clap:

Tell us, do people keep pets in the village??

Only the rangers are allowed dogs, for working purposes. We are allowed to have certain bird species, fish and mother in laws..
Stark wrote:
How is health-care in the village?

We have a clinic, but most of us go to the GP. Others tried the Vet, but they are not that well stocked in all the right medicine. And they are bloody expensive :wink: They keep on wanting to give tranquilizers :roll:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:10 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

How about others tell us about their life in the park?
Betelgeuse?? Tell us whats life like in the north

Unread postPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:25 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The two biggest social events in Skz is the half marathon during beginning of August and the Joke of the Lowveld (golf tournament) the first week of May.
And off course when the Sharks beat the blue Bulls in the Super 14 and Curry cup.
After Tommorow we can discuss the last line

Unread postPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:48 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

carolynn wrote:
What sort of annual holidays do you get and do you spend them relaxing and game viewing or do you get out of there for a while? (and hit the city lights??!)

First of all, I reckon most of us Krugerians hate the city life. Myself grew up in Bloem and stayed in Jhb and Cape Town, but I can never go back. the worst traffic rush we get on the way to work is when there are 6 cars in front of you and two behind you.
As I am in the tourism trade, I work all public holidays and i think I had Christmas off 7 or 8 years ago. Obviously not everyone in kruger works on public holidays, like office staff etc.
My wife and I love a game drive every now and then with our kids, and Joekin will tell you, if you visit us, you get treated to a personilised night drive in the village.
Funny enough my wife and I spent our honeymoon in the park, travelling to the top and down again in 11 days

Unread postPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:24 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Wacktazz :D I am loving this thread :clap: :clap: :clap:
please keep it going.

I have also stayed in the village for 3 nights. One night while braaiing, we were treated to a hippo fight just a few metres away. Everyone ran for safety and MM ran to see what was happening :redface: :redface: I was given a firm :naughty:
I think that's why they told me not to open the gate at night as there was a Boomslang hiding in the bushes :roll:

I have also been very priveledged to run the Skukuza half marathon. What a magnificnet memory. sigh

Keep this up please :pray:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:52 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

rusky wrote:
Q. Do you get fed-up/bored with the animals at times? Where am i coming from - I wonder if someone is able to see lions everyday does the thrill of the experience wane with time?

I suppose it takes a special kind of person to want to live in the bush. Secluded, quite lifestyle, etc.
I for one never get tired of the animals. Cats and Wild dog always make it worthwile to see, even if I have seen the same group over and over.
When I was working at Afsaal and PK, I saw cats litteraly on a daily basis.
Even now, when we go the the restcamp at night, we take the Kruger Gate road back home nine out of ten.
But it can get to you sometimes, like one night when I wanted to go home and this huge ellie stood in front of my gate for about 20 minutes.
And I didnt even have a beer with me to keep me busy.
Or when you are really, really late for work, and there are whatever in the road in front of you. But its better than standing in a traffic jam in the city.
I think I have about 22 videocamera tapes full of extraordinary experiences, and every month I buy another tape or two

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next