Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Have you ever killed an animal in the park ?
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:32 am 

Lots of fingerpointing seems to be going on and the law of averages dictates that at least some forumites would have been responsible for some road kills. Let's present them here to provide a more balanced opinion of animals being killed by motorists.

Me first:

2006, Skukuza to Lower Sabie, Stopped to see some ellies. There was nothing in the road when i stopped. As i drove off, I felt the car go over somthing which I thought was elephant dung. :redface: As I passed I saw it was a bird (Francolin I think) :( , Must have gone under the car whilst we were stopped. It was well and truly dead. I reported it a Lower Sabi Reception. I was asked if I was speeding and when I stated I was not, was told not to worry.

I don't see how I could have avoided the situation.

Last edited by elephus on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Have you ever killed an animal in the park ?
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:43 am 

Thanks droopy, was a bit scared starting the thread. I meant to say I don't see how I could have avoided this. Fixed though.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:51 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Yes. :(
Like Tumbleweed, I hit 2 guineafowl outside the park, on the N2. A mother and chick, ran off the side of the road as I was about to pass them. I felt sick, but there was nothing I could do.
Inside the park, I was looking for game on the driver's side, and my wife said 'stop'. I did so but not before driving over a chameleon I had not seen. I felt gutted, and now if I see one in the road, I break the rules, get out (after checking carefully) and put it safely on the side of the road.

Hows that for a confession.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Can't remember ever hitting anything with the car inside a national park.

I have however killed some mosquitos over the years. They would suck me dry otherwise. :lol:
And I've murdered a few ants by dropping them into Antlion holes to see what would happen. They almost always ended up being eaten :huh:

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:16 pm 

Hi elephus coming to think of it, I've also killed something in the park :redface:

Centerpedes (Duisendpoot), sometimes they can be just all over the road, and you can't always miss them, but I try though :D I'm just scared the way I'm trying to miss them, someone might think I'm under the influence or high :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:10 pm 

+1 on having driven over a Francolin - they normally move but this guy was obviously having a dozy day.

We once had a very,very close call on the LS-Skukuza road with an impala and we must having been doing about 10km/h. Had it hit us/we hit it i am sure it would have been ok but our car certainly would not have!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

One early morning 4 years ago my wife, daughter (then 4 years old), late mother and I were on our way back to Pretoria from Lower-Sabie on the tar road to exit the KNP at Croc-Bridge.

It was a very strange morning with francolins occasionally running wildly in front of the car. It seems as if they were suicidal jumping out of the tall grass in front of us. :shock:

The first francolin I’ve hit we were doing about 30 km/h. My daughter went bananas screaming and crying while looking backwards out of the rear window and was still screaming and crying when I’ve hit the second francolin about 3 minutes later doing about 20 km/h in the middle of the road!! Lucky for me she didn’t notice the demise of the second francolin.

I was feeling sick afterwards and can’t explain what went wrong. :redface: :cry:

I’ve been visiting the KNP for 40 years or so and these were the only incidents I can remember where I was involved in road kill accidents in the KNP. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:35 pm 

A few years ago on the road between Skukuza and Lower Sabie, witnessed a bushbuck ram dashing out of the bushes into the side of a Golf and left a good dent in the driver's side door. It was a bit dazed, then recovered and bolted into the bush again. I am not sure who had the bigger fright: the driver of the Golf or the bushbuck.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

TheunsH - suicidal Francolins? Mass-death seekers? Never heard about that one. Perhaps you could write a thesis on it?

Daggaboy - maybe it enjoyed some of that plant species of yours, that's why it was so dooozy?

Rooies - LMHO! I could picture quite a lot of things - but that middle-finger is almost equal to TheunsH's suicidal pact?

Confession time - my family and I drove over commando worms by the thousands ± 9 years ago (Orpen to Satara). There was no way that one could miss them. But we felt so sorry for them. Yip, I suppose that's life. Eat or be eaten. Those that have acknowledged road kill on this thread - at least, hopefully, your kill was an animal's Dros!

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:52 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

2008, May KTP (sorry,sorry, not KNP) there were so many "koringkrieke" on the roads, there was no way you could not run over a few :redface:

However, the "kill" was immediately consumed by the living krieke :|

As Elzet says - animal Dros or Spur. :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:39 pm 

We stopped to watch a Chameleon on the H1-3. It just got to the side of the road and we drove off. In the rear view mirror saw a raptor swoop down and eat him. Felt so bad that we'd alerted the bird to the chameleon's presence.

Not in South Africa or even in a Park but a warthog went under my wheels. I was sick for weeks afterwards. Even now I get a sick feeling in my stomach when someone reminds me.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:56 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Once, on the Voortrekker road, I was on my way back to Camp.

I must have been going 30km an hour and I was very focused on arriving back.

My daughter saw a cameleon and shouted for me to stop. I did, but at that point hit a whole section of very loose gravel. To my horror, for a few metres, I could have been on ice. My car just had a mind of its own :big_eyes:

I hit the cameleon :cry: :cry: :cry: and spent the rest of the drive in tears.

For the record, I always stop with my hazzard lights when I see cameleons and wait for them to cross. I am so afraid that they will be invisable on the tar road.

Since that experience, I have put my self righteousness in my pocket and developed a much more respectful attitude towards the unpredicalability of gravel. I also accept, accidents happen.

Ironically, we had passed a recent snake road kill earlier that day on the Lake Panic route and I had made some very caustic and judgemental remarks. Those remarks came back to haunt me.

I still feel a pang and sadness now every time I see a cameleon. :(

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:32 pm 

Thank goodness to date we have never hit anything large or a bird, but those shongololos that occur in their thousands at times do result in some erratic and "drunken" like driving with a few casualties. :?

On this last trip we came across numerous numbers of those Poncerine Ants that march across the road in long columns, we do have pics somewhere, and a couple of times it was a close call whether we managed to stop in time and wait for the formation to pass.
They are very difficult to see, especially on tar roads and most cars simply ploughed straight through the middle of the column. :roll:

We also saw an animal hit the car behind us once when an Impala that was spooked by a Leopard ran smack bang into the side of the car, darn nearly knocked itself senseless. :shock:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:48 pm 

We once stopped at a dam in the park - forget where - very early in the morning. It had rained the night before. We were watching something big near the dam, when we wanted to pull away, we were surrounded by thousands of tiny, tiny frogs.
We waited, but they just seemed to get more and more. All over the place, eventually we drove off - I was to afraid to look back - there must had been many tiny corpses. It was terribly sad and my daughter was very upset.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:21 pm 

Hi All,

Two years ago we were on a night drive in the Mopani area. The drive was uneventful, but interesting all the same. On our return leg to the camp we were all feeling quite down as we did not see anything noteworthy.

The ranger started talking about rabbits and the fact that when they are in the headlights of a vehicle, why they do not get out of the way. As he was telling the story a rabbit jumped out of the bush, and promptly started running in the headlight beam (in front of the vehicle). The ranger turned the headlights off and on periodically but the animal stubbornly stayed in the headlights. Eventually we stopped and turned the lights off, to give the animal a chance to get out of the road. When the ranger turned the lights on again the animal was still there (10/10 for persistence). When the ranger started the vehicle the rabbit got such a fright it bolted off into the bush, as this happened the ranger saw an owl sitting on the 'collision path' of the rabbit. The rabbit slammed on brakes, whilst at the same time making an abrupt u-turn and headed straight back to the vehicle, to commit suicide. This was all very bizarre, but the highlight of the trip.

Richard Roundtree