Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Have you ever killed an animal in the park ?
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:21 pm 

Many moons ago, a lioness ran into our parked car. She was being chased by hyaenas.
My dad never did remove the dent.
In a residential area, at night, whilst we were still courting, Mrs elephus drove over a small porcupine. She vehemently denies this to date but I have 1 of the quills I removed from the tyre. Please don't tell her I told you.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:17 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Travelling very slowly towards Tibavati along a gravel road I saw movement on the side of the road and a very very long black mamba type snake reared up and nearly got its head into the window which luckily I have a quick response and had closed it. Unfortunately as it fell back it fell under our car wheel Oh dear felt dreadful. If it had stayed put it would today be a very very very very long healthy snake.
Oh and we did run over a squirrel once Daughter had a good cry, But seconds later a leopard walked across the road after that when we saw squirrels she would shout run it over and then we will see a leopard... OK she was only about 5 at the time. She is very animal friendly now

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:41 am 

Just missed a chameleon near Skukuza June 2008. The girlfriend looked like a sticker on the windscreen though :big_eyes:

Also just missed an Impala that jumped right in front of the car. Luckily I was only doing 25 km/h.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:53 am 

funny story...

I love getting my vehicle dirty with mud when in the park. I always made a point to drive through puddles, and mud etc. after some good rains and never thought much of it.

I was warned by a friend that even in these tiny puddles there are sometimes terrapins.
I laughed it off thinking, if the terrapins are in a dam why would they end up in a puddle.

well on our rat pack outing, I drove through a puddle, as I looked out the window at the puddle the wave from my wheel had cause a wave that pushed a terrapin(little baby) onto the side of the puddle.

what I realized was this was a puddle that was being fed by a "overflowing" stream that ran under the road. but I now have stopped driving through puddles.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:38 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Also those who drive over fresh rhino / elephant dung are possibly killing dungbeetles .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:45 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We always drive slowly (better to do so if you want to see something) - but francolins seem to a have a death wish. Why is it that they run off to the side of the road only to turn around and make a mad dash to the middle of the road again. Im surprised that not more of them are hit by cars.
This past weekend we only saw a boomslang killed in the road. Actually have seen quite a few dead snakes in the road recently - is it perhaps that some people purposely don't stop or swerve out for them.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:32 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

ndloti wrote:
Also those who drive over fresh rhino / elephant dung are possibly killing dungbeetles .

I had more than one other driver give me funny looks after I slalomed around piles of elephant dung. (not into oncoming traffic, of course) :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Elzet wrote:
HI Ndloti, that I knew! :thumbs_up: And there might be thorns in the poop. (It also comes with a pong...)

Elephant & rhino dung ? Elzet , that to me is an aroma , not a pong !

I have driven over a chameleon or 2 (maybe more unnoticed), countless insects , a lizard about40 cm long ...
Closest to a big animal was the warning shot the ranger fired over the elephants head from about 30 m , afterwards we found out that the trackers (2nd rifle's) rifle had jammed , also when we had a stand-off with a buffalo bull who stared us out while both rangers had their rifles trained on him .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:31 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I was careful not to kill anything last week, but some speeding lowlife non-tourist git from Satara to Olifants killed a dikkop. Its body was not yet cold.....

Unread postPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:03 pm 

Hi Guys
I returned from 10 days in the park on Monday. I had the most upsetting experience. i was driving and took my eyes off the road for split second. I looked at the road, there was a snake right in front of me. I heard 'squish'. I immediately stopped and turned the vehicle around and went back. There was nothing on the road and nothing laying on the roadside. Does this mean the snake would have survived, even if I may have 'squished' his tail? It was not a pleasant feeling...

Unread postPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:25 pm 
Hi JakkiR, have had a similar experiense on sand road near Satara. Came over a rise, saw a blackish colour snake crossing the road, tried to avoid it. Turned back to look for it but could not see it.

Don't know if I missed it and it went into bush or if it ended up in the wheel well or engine.

Went to Satara office, Rangers there would not look under car because it was now getting dark and said it would be too dangerous for them to look under the vehicle. Said I must just leave the car parked away from the bungalows.

Never saw the snake again, so don't know what happened.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:03 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
Yes... certainely crickets and milepedes :(

Post subject: The living
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:49 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
We all try to avoid the unthinkable – to accidentally kill an animal while driving in Kruger. But is it really avoidable at all times when driving in Kruger not to run over and kill an animal/insect/bird/reptile even when you adhere strictly to the speed limit? Thankfully I have never accidentally killed an animal whilst in Kruger but if I think about all the insects and smaller reptiles in the road I am no longer so sure :hmz:

Post subject: Re: The living
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:16 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
It is gut wrenching to kill something in Kruger.

I was looking out on both sides as my dad was asleep, and a francolin got too close to my front wheel before I saw it. I was only doing 20-25......

Post subject: Re: The living
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I guess it is a very real possibility despite how careful one is. Animals can be hidden by vegetation and dart out suddenly etc.
I know how devastated I feel here at home when I have run over a lizard or hit a bird inadvertently. I feel just as bad if I hit a fox or a hare or rabbit even though they are feral animals here. We have a lot of wild free ranging kangaroos and wallabies around our area and they are hit and killed at night quite often which I find incredibly sad and frustrating.
If I hit and killed something in Kruger I know it would really make me feel bad for some time. :cry:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next