Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Kruger animals in action!
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:33 pm 

Sallyana, brilliant shots and what an experience! :big_eyes:

We once saw a pride of lions, just outside Orpen that had killed a baby buffalo, then the mom came back for it and also got killed, then another buffalo came looking and also got killed and her unborn pulled from her! There were dead buffaloes everywhere and lions all over... It was specatcular! I never thought lions could kill so many at one spot....

Victory was hers....
ImageLarge

Love all the stories.... :thumbs_up: Keep them coming!

:thumbs_up: to all the great :cam:

Happyness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of travelling...

Last edited by Elsa on Thu May 01, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pic resized.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:40 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
A recent kill, or one seen is definitely not for the feint-hearted or weak-stomached.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:38 pm 

wow maddie88, that must have been some sighting, what an experience it must have been to see more that one kill, but to see three buffalo taken down by lions in one day :big_eyes:
must have been gruesome to see the unborn calf.

i saw a lion kill at satara in august, missed the actual kill by a couple of hours but watched the lions eat the giraffe over three days, it must have taken ages for your lions to finish off three buffalo!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:59 am 

Sallyanna, this happened many years ago, I would guess about 6 years ago and we were the only car there. It was an awesome sight but strange at the same time! They had the two baby calfs under the tree,
(you can enlarge and count the feet...)

ImageLarge

In these days digital camera's were just about popping out so the previous photo was with a digital (hence so bright) and these were with a normal camera hence the poor quality.

Here's the other female.

ImageLarge

I'm not sure for how long they were there as we only saw this on our last night at Satara before heading North, so we never saw it again...

My folks also saw a giraffe kill when they were in Satara (S100) last October. They didn't see the actual kill, missed it by a few hours as well, but saw the feeding.

ImageLarge

Happyness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of travelling...

Last edited by Elsa on Thu May 01, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pics resized.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:10 pm 

I just returned from KNP on Friday after spending almost 2 weeks at BnD.
We were extremely lucky regarding sightings, and on the 01/04/09 we were driving along the Malelane-Skukuza road about 2km from Afsaal when we found 2 cheetah lying under a bush.
All the normal grazers which are always in the area were also around as well as a white rhino.
We probably spent more than an hour sitting with them when the rhino kept going closer to the cheetahs, no rush, walking slowly while feeding.
When he got to about 20m from the bush he started to take notice and it really seemed like he did not know the cheetahs were there.
They made no effort in trying to hide ie. standing up walking to another piece of shade and back).
He then walked behind the bush where we lost sight of him and then all of a sudden the 2 cheetahs came running from behind the bush with the rhino right behind them.
It never looked like the rhino was going to catch them but the cheetahs dissapeared into the thicket after that.

It was definitely one of many highlights of the trip.
I do have photo's but I have no idea how to post them(can't find anything in the help section).
If somebody can point me in the right direction I'll try and post them.

Marius

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:57 pm 

Hyena vs Lions

count : Hyena 11 Lions 4 Lionesses no male around.

We were travelling from the S114 turning left on the Biyamiti loop and then left on the S113 going back to the tar road. About 1 km from the tar road we encountered this once in a lifetime experience.

We saw the Hyena's on the right hand side of the road 11 of them. they were making a lot of noise and looking on the opposite side of the road. We looked and found 4 Lionesses with a kill. There were not much left of the kill, but we were the second car on the scene and decided we must hang around. the Hyena's came across the round but kept on looking back as well. Our feeling was that the male was around but we could trough the whole event not see him at all.

After a about 30 minutes the hyena could not hold anymore and started to intimidate the Lionesses. This was amazing how they interacted. 2 groups of 3 each from 2 different directions. Making a lot of noise going forward with their heads very low the came closer and closer. Every now and then one of the females at that stage only 3 visible charge them and they scatter. Belief me with her attitude and growling i will run to. After a long time looking at this at least 20 to 40 minutes the 1 Lioness had enough and walked across the road and then we saw the other lioness. They were lying down under a tree.

Eventuality the hyena saw a gap and charged. 5 of them. the others were "Chicken" and stood at least 50 meters away looking in a Western direction. The 2 lionesses charged and they run away. One hyena decided this is his gap came in charging grab the skin but then we were all surprised with the Lioness on the right hand side of the road under the tree that came charging in and unfortunately got hold of this poor Hyena. My Daughter started crying and we had to keep her from shouting at the lioness. Eventually the Hyena escaped but I am sure with the blood on the back and running on three legs damage was done extensively. The lioness then turned around and walked away over the road and disappeared after a while. the hyena's moved in and took what was left.

See link for the phot's taken then - sorry for the poor quality of the photo's

Maroela - 5 days August

[b][color=#FF0000]NO HOTELS - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH AND BASTA[/color][/b]

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:36 pm 

iv been going to the kruger since I was 2. On my last visit in February last year i had ALMOST witnessed my first kill. driving on a sand road to satara alone i spotted a cat like shape in the distance, i reversed to see the most beauifull young leopard, realizing it was heading in the direction of a heard of impala. watching it for a 5min it disapeared........ :big_eyes: i reversed back to the heard of impala thinking that maybe...... juuuussst maybe :pray:

Sat watching the impala for up to 20 min when all of a sudden i spotted the leopard again ... laying low in the ground moving foward every time the impala put there head down......when the leopard was but a mear meter away from the impala some jerk can speeding around the corner hitting breaks :evil: slidding across the dirt road. At the moment the leopard got a fright and popped his head up exposing himself to the impala heard

what a disspointment !!! on the other hand i seeing how the impala re-acted when seeing the leopard,, grunting and snorting, not taking there eyes of her!
what amazed me is how the impala follwed her around. they always say "a leopard you see is safer then one you dont" :shock:

i would post pics but i have no idea how to!