Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 'Ticker' or 'Spaceman'?
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:13 am 

Spaceman!

I leave as early as possible to hear, smell and see the morning bush (and to get a good place to make breakfast).

I look at birds but classify them as 'that small bird', 'that big bird', 'that unusual bird', 'that funny bird', 'that chickenlike bird' or 'that duck like bird'. Other well knownclassifications are 'the bird in the tree', the bird in the bush' and 'the bird on the ground'.

I go on night (sunset) drives to see the park after dark.

My favourite sightings are elephants in or near river beds, my ultimate sighting would be to see a monkey eating a crab.

Spaceman.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:49 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

A dedicated Ticker :thumbs_up: Been doing it since our very first trip....34 years...got the proof :wink:

Kruger booked for 2015.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi All

Must admit, my family are also maximizers - first car out (ok, yeah, sometimes tenth or twentieth in line), waiting at the gate, and almost the last car in (but never late!).

I've been relying on my photographic memory since 1984... no need to go back to ticklists and pics and files and notepads and diaries and calenders and desk-pads and books and folders (electronically or hard copy) to recall awesome moments, (although we have many pics and videos which we watch a couple of times after a visit and then never again...), as wonderful moments are engraved in my mind forever, and which we actually share with our little one when and where applicable!

Also, we never forget the place, the tree, the specific piece of veld, etc., as we keep on recalling incidents and sightings every year when we pass or stop at a specific spot.

About eight years ago, during midday, hubby and I parked underneath a tree full of baboons on the Leeubron road. We sat there for two hours, 'chilling', no car in sight, watching the baboons' interaction, enjoying the young ones' naughtiness, jubilation, their irate parents, the sleepy elders, whilst keeping an eye on the male that was parallel with my former boss' behaviour and looks :mrgreen: , etc. etc.

So yes, we are genius maximizers with a hint of tickers and a pinch of spacemen. Quite a spicy affair, don't you think?

Elzet :yaya:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I like the term 'maximisers'.

I agree its great to be first out in the morning, last back, looking for the 'good stuff' whatever each's own definition of that might be.
I do not do the ticklist thing, as i generally film whatever i see. Also, I tend to create expectations in my mind that "i must see this or that". So i've learnt to appreciate whatever comes my way in whatever shape or size.

BUT.....

I do also go to KNP to chill out and recharge my batteries, be it for an hour at the pool (midday), or under a tree at a waterhole for however long.

So, I guess im a bit of both, i dont laze around early morning and late afternoon and at the same time, i def don't become fanatical bordering on hysterical that i just have to tick off everything on 'a list'.
I dictate my holiday, not a list.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:16 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Tumble Weed wrote:
OK - let's say for example I'm standing at a communal braai and everyone is talking about their best sighting of the day and I pipe up and say I watched a troop of baboons for two hours. Any credibility in that 'tickers'???? :lol:

:hmz: watching baboons for 2 hours?
they normally do not hang around one place that long

Yes I can say I have lots of discussions about baboons around braai's....we also watch them and I can recall almost all the "little" incidents I have seen when watching them...one for example is a mother who smacked her little one for teasing and biting its brother/sister...I can go on.....
Also we can sit a a waterhole for the whole day without riding
around 8)
Our first book....a A4 hardcover book...in the front is an old map stapled on and on the map we have lots of ticks to show us where we saw Lion...Leopard...Wilddog...Cheetah and mega ticks for Roan ect, that is just for interest sake. Also I record all visits...ie where we stayed, people that came to the park with us :D
There is a section where each trip is recorded... ie
The date....animal for the day...end of day how many animals we saw for that day...also we try to break our records from prev trips...ie total animals for the trip....the last biggie was 53 animals for a trip....still trying to break that record :( We do not travel great distances per day.
I am on my second book....makes interesting reading and a lot of friends and strangers cannot believe how many trips we made and what we have seen in the past 34 years :wink:

Kruger booked for 2015.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:52 pm 

Gemma T wrote:
I like the idea of a "maximiser" too!

I'm looking foward to my 2nd visit to the park this summer. The last time I was there was in 2005 and I kept a diary of what we saw and where and how we felt about it. It wasn't a tick list as such more a "oh my gosh how lucky am I to see this" list. I've re-read over that little note book so many times in the last 4 years and talked through it with my boyfriend and dad and it's brought me so much enjoyment. Just like looking through the photos I took and watching the camcorder stuff.

We have already planned our route for our first morning out of Lower Sabie this July!! When you're on the other side of the world waiting and waiting to get back to the Kruger - planning our routes and anticipating where we'll go is half the fun of the build up.

When you come from so far away having things to look back on are brilliant - we're not all lucky enough to have photographic memories!!!
Gemma x

I love to see the pictures when i get back from places like the Kruger and that is why i put them on a website so other people can see just how amazing the Kruger and South Africa is even though it get bad press. I would go back in a hart beat.

GT

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have had a good laugh at this thread. Great fun.

Personality has a lot to do with whether we are "tickers" or "spaceman" and preferences in all areas of life.

Tickers
1.good planners
2.pay attention to detail
3.need goals and closed agendas
4.do not deal well with uncertainty
5.like to make lists, generaly.. BH
6.very good at implementation
7.often don't like change
8.good at following intructions and completing tasks
9. get on with the job
10. good with facts

Spaceman
1.what plan?
2.where are my keys?
3.what do you mean, what are we going to do today?
4.let's just go with the flow
5.I forgot my pen in the toilet.. I think :hmz:
6.what do mean we have to start now?
7. didn't I tell you about plan B?
8. ok, I tried my way, now maybe I should read the instructions :roll:
9. procrastinate
10. good with imagination

Most of us have a little of both. I have a full right to laugh at spacemen, because I am 100% spaceman...
I so appreciated having a ticker with me on my last trip, as I did not have to worry about my keys... or my birding list.. I believe I have lots of new ticks..

Ah yes, now where are those keys :redface: :redface:

Post subject: Do you record all your sightings/impressions?
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:28 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Just wondering if and how people record their time in the park (other than photos)? Do you meticulously keep a journal of sightings? What details do you record? Time, weather, place...etc? Do you go back to your records of times past?
I started a 'Kruger diary' last year on our first visit and it is full of each day's drives and activities and our impressions etc etc We are returning in 3 weeks and the diary will continue for 'Chapter 2'!

Post subject: Re: Do you record all your sightings/impressions?
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

On my last trip (2011-07-29) to the Kruger I decided to buy a small booklet that contains a checklist of all the animals, birds and trees in the Kruger.

I started marking all the animals and birds I saw in the checklist. After some time it became almost like a game to see who can spot another animal or bird that is not yet on the checklist.

That is when you start shouting at the driver to stop quickly, because you saw a dwarf mongoose on the ground a few meters back. The rules were however, it had to be observed by at least two people in the car and a positive ID must be made in some of the reference books.

It is amazing how much more you started to learn about things you previously would have missed just looking for that next cat or dog sighting.

I am definitely taking the booklet with next time as it allows for three trips, and also gives you then a history of things seen in the Kruger over time. It is also amazing how quickly one forget some of the smaller sightings.

I would advise anybody to start making some list of things you see in the Kruger. The list of animals and birds that forms part of the Kruger Map booklet is also sufficient, so no need to buy expensive books.

“When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.”

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi threedogs yes we do informally record our sightings/impressions in a note book but I would not call it a journal. We like to read though the different recordings over the years when we are back at home :thumbs_up: .

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Yes, we do. :thumbs_up:
Mostly in the form of our photographs which we file under the trip date on NAS (Network Attached Storage). It's amazing how you know where each photo was made years after the fact.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:31 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have travelled with mites who record sightings. They are often very good birders.

This is a challenge to MM who calls birds, "Dinguses". At the moment I am watching a "long tailed little brown dingus".

I realise that the recorders get a lot of fun from their recordings. Sometimes the act of recording can be the cause of a lot of hillarity when it come to noting animals/birds down.

I do not record. I often try, but my thoughts can meander like mouse looking for sweet grain. Once the grain is found, the mind turns to mush. I tend to get my joy in my trip reports where so many moments flood back.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:52 pm 

We don't keep a diary or journal so to speak but do always take a note book and Jock is meticulous in her recording of the date, time and temperature on entering the park, road names and every animal and bird and anything else of significance.

This is mostly to help me with the writing of our trip report once home.

When she is not on the trip with us I am afraid I am hopeless and have to rely on the memory to do the report which often leads to scratching of the head and improvisation altho I am blessed with having a somewhat retentive memory of where we saw what, but only relating to the parks! :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:11 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Absolutely!

I create my own booklet that suits me, with a page for the birds and a daily page for the animals.

I put them onto a spreadsheet when I get home.

It also helps me to know what have been good days/routes and refute "we didn't see much today" when we did.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:27 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have an animal list that I tick off :D
However many ticks next to the animal, thats how many sightings of it on the drive :thumbs_up:
Type them up on my comp at home :thumbs_up:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next