Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: To Camp or Not to Camp?! Whats your vote...
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:32 pm 

This is a very interesting thread. I have done a lot of camping, in a caravan, tent, and roof-top tent, and have also stayed in chalets, and guest houses. As far as I am concerned there is a place and time for each. When my children were young, camping was magic, all over South Africa - they loved the freedom, they always made friends in the camp grounds. Camping with a group of friends is also great - you can form a lager, and get together in the middle, and be very sociable.

But there are also some times when I want some luxury, like my own ablutions (nothing worse than having to wait for a shower or bath at 9 or 10 o'clock at night). For a weekend in the Kruger, chalets are the answer - don't have to tow a caravan or set up a tent, and all Sanparks accommodation is comfortable.

Then there are the tented camps, and they are quite different, but very comfortable. I am now at the stage of my life where the caravan has become another spare room in the back yard, and the tents and camping equipment is stored away. Maybe some time in the future I will yearn to caravan or camp again - you never know what the grand-children would like to do!! :hmz: :hmz: :hmz:

But enjoy your camping holiday - the atmosphere in Kruger is very special!! :) :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:17 am 

Thanx everyone! You have opened my eyes a bit bigger now and I'm kind of looking forward to it now.... :D

There's just one problem I'm having now, I don't have any camping equipment! :shock: Is it possible to rent some? My brother has only just started his fettish so I'm not sure if he's got all he needs. He loves going to his girlfriends game farm in the Timbavati for a "Survivor Weekend" with the boys, crazy youngsters I say(he's almost 25). All they need is a tent, flashlight and the booze.

I was wondering if it was actually possible to rent all these goodies....

Thanx for the great advice again! Keep them coming... Does anyone have photo's of the campsites???? I've been to Kruger every year of my life and I have no idea what their camping facilities look like.... :huh:

Happyness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of travelling...

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:03 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Maddie, I don't know how to direct you, but EJ did the most brilliant tour and posted pictures of all the camp sites with details on all the facilities.

I am fairly new to camping, but I have grown to love it. I once compared camping to driving a moter bike. I used to have a motor bike when I was very much younger and the thrill of the open road was like nothing you can imagine. You feel so alive.

Same with camping. You are close to the elements, the noises, the smells, the wind, the rawness of nature. The heart beats a little faster, the smile's a little wider.

Having said that, I am happy with anything that is available. If you have a sense of adventure, then it is one of those experiences to go onto your "to-do" list.

In terms of equipment, find out what you still might need and get back to us.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:08 pm 

Thanx MM! Sounds like I just have to do it! Come what may!

I need everything, yet I still owe him a xmas gift and birthday gift, so I was thinking of going to buy everything I would need for the camping and when I'm done, hand it over to him. He would choose it all though... hehehe

Things like a big tent, blow up matres, maybe one of those stretchers even, flash lights, tent lights, fold up chairs and maybe a fold up table aswel. Like I said, he's still new at it and his tagg along got him a massive flood light, some bbq utensils, a two man tent and some fold up camping chairs some time last year, and now he's addicted!

Whats the weather like that time of the year??? Does it still rain?? Will we be freezing our panties off??? :shock:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Please see the thread under camps & roads - "Tsendze rustic campsite" , that is the place to go for a wilder camping experience , but then some such as Bush Baptist will complain that , similar to Tamboti tented camp , that we are over popularising a jewell of a destination .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:15 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Do you want it booked out when you want to go there ndloti! :wall:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I realise I am a damned fool , BB . I am selfish , I guess , but maybe I can start with this and hope to gradually educate people the true meaning of wilderness .... :thumbs_up:

Tsendze is only for those who are willing to stay up at night and keep the dangerous animals at bay .

A large "non python snake but large enough to leave a spoor large enough that would make one beleive it could be be a python spoor but that was not one , as he had surprised it and it had taken off with too much speed to be a python" perhaps the one that Rodgers the camp attendant told me was terrorising him , visited me one night and scared me awake as I was about to doze off next to the fire .
I heard a rustling noise and thought that it strange to hear the leaves rustling as it was a very windstill night . An extremely long snake emerged from the grass to the right of the attached photo between the braai and my gazebo , only around 5 metres from me , his tail end still concealed in the foliage , and was headed straight for my gazebo .
I stood up and the snake did an about turn in the direction of the fence between my site and no 27 alongside . I followed it and estimate that its head was around 5 metres ahead of where I was safely following behind the sound of the retreating reptile .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Last edited by ndloti on Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:59 am, edited 4 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:57 pm 

Hi Maddie88, I think some of the safari tents that's already pitched up has got the necessary in (ie, bed, linen, utensils, fridge), so...... if you don't want to surprice your brother with all the equipment you can try and book yourself in one of those tents. And some of them I know is very well situated, Lower Sabie you have a river view, Letaba is next to the fence.
I hope you come right, if not I'm around the corner, pm me with what you need, maybe we can help :P

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi guys
To me camping in our caravan is tops,my kids 12 and 14 (both daughters)is just as crazy about camping as us. If I can go to Kruger every school holiday I will. A camper is ok but if you want to go game watching you must pack up and leave your camping site exept if you do like my inlaws do and pull a small car behind your camper. We dont put our tent up,all we use is our rally and we,up to now,have never had any problems. I think if you love nature and want to be part off it, camping is the one for you, you dont need all the luxuries off home, I meen you go camping to get away from the mad city live?!? :hmz:

To everyone going to KNP,KTP etc think off us staying home :mrgreen:

KNP: Berg en Dal 7 to 10 August 2015

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:21 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Now you are getting the message, ndloti. Let's tell them how nice Skukuza, LS & Pkop are :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:15 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Maddie, I went camping in May last year and the weather was perfect. I am not fond of weather, any weather, at the best of times, and this was just right.

There was enough chill to need track suit pants in the morning and evening and warm enough for lighter clothes in the day. I always take a warm jacket, regardless of the weather, I suggest you do as well.

May is one of the dry months and it is highly unlikely that you should have tro worry about rain. The only problem I had was one windy day when my tent meadanered out to visit the neighbours at Maroela. The neighbour very kindly brought it back and tied it down to the nearest tree to keep it in it's place :lol: :lol: literally and figuratively :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:27 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Camping all the way! There's nothing like laying in your tent and listening to the lions roar! Sometimes it is only the neighbour snoring :lol: . But it is the cheaper option especially if you enjoy going to KNP often. The chalets are reserved for special occasions like wedding anniversaries.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:28 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

ndloti wrote:

You are running a neat camp there ndloti! :thumbs_up:
I have decided...next year we are camping again.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:58 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Camping in a rustic campsite lets one commune with nature in a more intimate manner than when in a larger camp . Yes , I enjoyed being alone in my campsite , and of the 45 odd campsites at Tsendze not more than around 10 of them were occupied all 6 nights I was there . Unfortunately some noisy regulars that the attendant Rogers told me are from a nearby town invaded their favourite camsites along the fence with Mooiplaas on the first weekend I was there , but otherwise my stay was most peacefull .

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:13 am 

Ndloti - Are you trying to scare the life out of me with your snake story???? Jeeperz!!! :big_eyes: Glad you escapes unharmed.... Thanx for the info and the great pic, wish our place could stay that clean when it's just the young ones, but alas, it never does.... :hmz:

Droopy - Thank you heaps!! I am thinking that maybe we should go for the Safari Tents, but they are so hard to get into! I can't really book everything at the moment as my brother is still looking what he's situation will be. He lost his job at Sanlam because of the current economic crisis and he's finding it very hard to get a new one... :cry: So I have to wait and see for how long he'll be able to go just in case our holding thumbs works.... Maybe when we are down there you should join us...??? For a cuppa??? hehehehehe

Meandering Mouse - You have been a graet help and making me look forward to it. I think I read your trip report where you and your duaghter were camping and your tent flew away, am I right??? :hmz: In May the rainy season starts in Australia and If there's anything I hate more than camping, it's camping in the RAIN!!!

Now, can any of you camping fanatics tell me what your experiences in the campsites have been in regards to SPIDERS????

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next