Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: To Camp or Not to Camp?! Whats your vote...
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:40 am 

Moose1
Sheenaugh-Lee wrote:

I didnt know about this ellie at Tzendze??or Maroela? As for the kill next to the fence at satara Now that is why I love camping :D

ALSO last may 2012 , I was fast asleep in my little tent a meter from the fence in Balule when I heard a noise and quietly and SLOWLY opened the zip on the "door" which faced the fence. There was nothing there except a tree trunk ..... what ? .... that wasnt there when I went to bed, I thought !!!!! :doh: It was an ellies leg and he was feeding off the tree under which I had my tent :shock: VERY quitely and SLOWLY the zip went up and I crawled back into my sleeping bag and eventually when the noise of crunching leaves abated, I dozed off.

You dont have this kind of excitement from within a bungalow !

Moose1
( I swear this is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth !!!!! )

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:30 pm 

I am a man with a taste for the more luxurious and I went on a camping safari in Kruger national park the past week. AND I LOVED IT!!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:11 pm 

Quote:
But , prices for bungalows are pushing too , so........ :roll:

Greetings okie

If you even get the remotest urge to camp again have a look at the Oztrail tents. I have just gotten a Sportiva Dome Lodge Combo, have only set it up once but will be using it on my trip v soon. Very light, takes up little space and no trailer needed 8) I would love a big Conquest or similar but havent got place to keep it. I think a fridge is also important and table/chairs etc. Just a suggestion :|

Moose1

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
It looks by far the most participants here on this thread prefer Camping. Perhaps the closeness to nature is the attraction :hmz:

moose1 wrote:
It was an ellies leg and he was feeding off the tree under which I had my tent

:roll:

moose1 wrote:
You dont have this kind of excitement from within a bungalow

:| Agreed but I still like the old Kruger Rondawels :tongue: :thumbs_up: (without an elephant visiting of course)

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was 6 years old and just a marie biscuit high when my parents lugged me off to kruger for my first 'real' camping trip in the 'game reserve'. I had my own tiny two-man tent which they pitched close to the camp fence and just out of reach of the elephant with the longest trunk.

The braai was going, and very shortly after the sun set, the hyenas began to muster at the fence. As a youngster with a passion for all things wild and dangerous, I thought this was Christmas. In those days, there was no electricity at the campsites (or if there was, we chose not to use it), and soon my dad had 'the BIG torch' out and we watched in fascination as the hyenas strode up and down, laughing as only a hyena at a braai would

Soon, it was time for my bedtime, and I resisted wholeheartedly, objecting strongly that I wanted to stay awake and keep a watch with the torch. Of course, adults know better, especially dad's, and soon dad and I had reached a compromise - he would tuck me into bed in my tiny tent up close to the fence and would leave just the mozzie net closed so I had a front seat view.

And just in case I fell asleep, he insisted on tying a long piece of string to my big toe, which, as he told me back then, to the other end he would tie a nice big chicken drumstick. He told me excitedly that if the hyena came around in the night, the moment he tugged on the bone, I would wake up.

Well. I thought this was a wonderful idea, and I fondly and clearly remember him tying the string around my big toe, tucking me in, and saying that the moment I feel a nibble and tug on the string in the night, I would know the hyena is there.

I do not recall anything after that for within seconds I must have been in dreamland - and when I woke up in the morning, the string had magically untied itself from around my toe and was gone.

I was elated that a hyena had tugged in the night, but somewhat disappointed that I had missed the excitement and for days I spoke about nothing more than the hyena tugging on the string while I slept just meters away.

Its been 40 years since my first real camping trip in Kruger, and even though many years later my dad, who is now 81, confessed that within minutes of me falling asleep he untied the string and had in fact not even bothered to tie on any bone, I still like to believe the hyena took the string and that he's still pulling my leg, just like he did back then.

I have never stayed in anything but a tent at kruger, and in all honesty, as longa s I can still reach the floor, this will never change. So I cannot compare my experiences to a bungalow or hut. But, can you blame me for being just a little biased in favour of a tent.

That was 40 years ago and it feels like yesterday. Since then, I have completed many, many trips to kruger, always camping, and the camping memories just never go away. You just cant beat it!!! Camping has my vote. For those who have never camped, you should try it.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Great story 404-504

Most of our bush trips have been camping, 90% caravan, 10% tent, but I have to admint the older I get the softer i get. The last one in Feb was chalets and it was nice to have our own bathroom, but I have to agree there is something very special about camping. If you can get a campsite at the fence it's the next best thing to being right out there in the bush.

It reminds me of the story we have probably already told on the forum, but here it is again anyway. We were camped so close to the fence at Punda that the ellie having a mud bath at the water hole was splashing his muddy water onto our tent. DB woke me at 2 in the morning concerned that he might push the fence over and trample our tent. (we had actually experienced an ellie doing this at Shimuweni and feeding outside our cottage window one night) All I wanted to do was go back to sleep, but DB eventually talked me into taking refuge in the bird hide until she was satisfied that he had no bad intentions. I must admit that was in our earlier camping days.

Our next trip we are busy planning will definitely be in the caravan.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:06 pm 

Hawk wrote:
Great story 404-504

Most of our bush trips have been camping, 90% caravan, 10% tent, but I have to admint the older I get the softer i get. The last one in Feb was chalets and it was nice to have our own bathroom, but I have to agree there is something very special about camping. If you can get a campsite at the fence it's the next best thing to being right out there in the bush.

It reminds me of the story we have probably already told on the forum, but here it is again anyway. We were camped so close to the fence at Punda that the ellie having a mud bath at the water hole was splashing his muddy water onto our tent. DB woke me at 2 in the morning concerned that he might push the fence over and trample our tent because he (the ellie) would take umbrage to the very loud human man noise I was making while sleeping . (we had actually experienced an ellie doing this at Shimuweni and feeding outside our cottage window one night) All I wanted to do was go back to sleep, but DB eventually talked me into taking refuge in the bird hide until she was satisfied that he had no bad intentions. I must admit that was in our earlier camping days.

Our next trip we are busy planning will definitely be in the caravan.

Just a little wifely edit/correction to the story in pink :wink:

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:33 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:funny:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:13 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
:lol:

If you don't enjoy camping, you are doing it wrong! :twisted:

Kruger must be the best place to camp.
Everyone goes to bed early leaving the darkness and sounds of the night for us to enjoy.

Imagine this: It's close to midnight, two chairs and a table, right next to the fence. Not a sound to be heard from the camp, complete darkness, only the flicker of an Amarula candle lamp so one can locate that cup of hot chocolate.

When you eventually go to bed, a Nightjar or owl starts calling from a branch right above your head and you know there is only a piece of canvas between you and the night.

Absolute bliss! :)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:15 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A perfect description JenB.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:06 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
We have camped for several years now But have sold the Venture and now have a smaller car and the real one says he is now old and wants home comforts . So this next KNP holiday I have booked in the most basic accommodation I could River side tents at LS huts at Balule Tent in Punda etc etc ... and I am not complaining
But I still have the tent and gazebo and all the camping gear ... you never know :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

For anyone considering camping this is a part of it. Sometimes its easy, sometimes it's not so easy., sometimes the ground is like butter, sometimes its like granite.

Anyone want a few dozen bent pegs?

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:26 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Would love to view video Hawk...but it is set at private. :)

Kruger May/June 2014
Mokala June 2014

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Trrp-trrrrrrr - fixed, you should see it now.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:59 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Mmmmh not just a strong hammer!!!...seems lots of stamina in arms is a sure requirement. :wink: :tongue:

Kruger May/June 2014
Mokala June 2014

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next