Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kruger Crazy's
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:49 pm 

Hello everyone

We always see the crazy's in the paper, well i thought ima create my own "Kruger Crazy's" here on the forum.

Just one question on these photo's and the rest of the crazy's. Why do people take this chances, i mean, don't this people know they put there own lifes in danger by violating the rules. Example, this one time it was sunday the 1 of March 2009, we all came across 4 or more wild dogs, this one girl was standing out of the sunroof taking photo's of the wild dogs, i mean it was a low vehicle, what would that people have done should that dogs decided to jump on the car, and if something did happen then that dog would have been shot, all though it would not be the dogs fault but the parents of that child who was standing outside the sunroof.. So thats my opinion, lets here some of the others.

Check out these ones..

and this one...

Post subject: Re: Kruger Crazy's
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

just a few pics of crazies we saw in Aug 08!!!!

These at lion kill 2 km from satara

Mad lady near biyamati

john

Back again -Kruger - April 2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Me thinks this thread is a great idea, here is one we can share, this gent wanted a better view of the lions a mere 5m away:

Had to have a six month holiday in the ocean after SO gave him a piece of his mind! :rtm:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:49 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Spoken to a ranger yesterdasy

Apparently SANParks have approved new stiffer fines.
Getting out of your vehicle up from R500 to R 1500.
Same with speeding, late exits, entries etc

But once again it boils down to education. :naughty: :naughty:
I chased away people at the shop again on Monday for feeding the monkeys. Got two guys on the Tshokwane road the other day walking towards Rhino for a perfect picture.

I even put up pictures of dead monkeys for people to realise what happens when you are ignorant/stupid

So its never dull here in the bush...

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:28 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Bekke wrote:
But I cannot see the problem with people hanging out of their vechiles or standing up though their sun-roofs, to see animals? How on earth would the small child in the Pajero (?) have seen any animal, when 10 other cars blocked their view? And how does this endanger the lives of any animal or person?

The problem arrises when you "break" the silouette of the vehicle.
Animals are used to vehicles, and by getting out of a sunroof or hanging from your window, chances are very very good that they get frightened, not only because they then smell humans, but also they feel uncomfortable.

I have had many, many brilliant sightings which have been spoilt by this behaviour.
Also, chances of a predator lying close to you, they will probably not let a chance slip away of a free meal.
Last week I was on the way to LS and a lady was hanging outside the vehicle at a leopard sighting, only to realise that there was another leopard on the other side of her vehicle. She didnt see him because she was so busy with the one about 30 metres from here. He could have killed her, as she was facing her with her back.

So yes, I understand that we all want to have a nice picture, but to risk your life, and also to chase away the animal, isnt that nice

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I think this is how the animals see the matters under discussion .
By kind courtesy of Rose Rigden , the artist .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I am always amazed when people try and justify their or others' poor behaviour. It is as simple as this, there a set of rules - which are to be obeyed, my experience is that any Law, Rule or Regulation concerning Nature, Conservation or the Environment, is well thought out and are there for a VERY GOOD reason, eventually benefitting everyone/ everything involved.

What has happened is that there are too many people in our country who have a total disregard or disrespect for any Law or Authority. They see that the Law Enforcement in our Country is not up to standard and therefore still continue with their lifestyle of not caring a hoot and then illustrating this to others as demonstrated on the numerous photographs on the forum.

Whether anyone likes it or not. Speeding, Littering, people getting out of their vehicles in unauthorised places, Disturbing the animals, Drinking and/ while driving, Making a noise and not respecting other visitors, are all real problems in OUR NATIONAL PARKS. The only cure is much stricter Law Enforcement in OUR NATIONAL PARKS. :( :(

Get them, fine them and BAN them. :evil: :evil:

What a wonderful privilege.

Post subject: Stupid people
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:19 pm 

We are at Pretroiuskop and went for an evening drive. On the way home we spotted a young leopard on the road, playing and rolling around. As we drew nearer he ran off to the long grass at the verge and dropped down to watch us. We were taking photos when he got angry and started hissing so all windows were closed. The noise sent him a back a bit further and he stopped at a tree and started watching us. An elderly man in a white golf drew up alongside and asked what we were watching. We showed him the leopard and so he got out of his car to take pics. Everyone in one voice told him to get back in but he refused and went on. Meanwhile the leopard started stalking and my grandson shouted to us to pull our kombi between him and the leopard. Fortunately in all the confusion the leopard was chased off! We left while the old guy slowly got into his car shaking his head and muttering to himself. Unfortunately we did not get a pic of his numberplate and we were all too shocked to think. I'm sitting here shaking because, in the words of my grandson "We did not come to Kruger to see an old man chowed". :rtm: :rtm:
The leopard watching threatenly
He tries to charge

The leopard taking a charge forward

Post subject: Re: Stupid people
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It has to happen sooner than later, sadly the animal involved will pay the ultimate price.

On one of our trips we had spent hours patiently waiting for a leopard with cubs to show herself on the Lower Sabie Road. At one stage she did indeed come out of the tree and it did not take long for a bit of a traffic jam to build up. To our utmost consternation we had an Italian tourist out of his vehicle and tapping on the windows of our Caravelle asking if he could get in so that he could take pictures. The female leopard was clearly unhappy about the situation and he is very lucky that she chose to not charge but to retreat to the tree where her cubs were hidden. We went straight to Lower Sabie restcamp and asked that a ranger please be sent out to control a situation that was clearly getting out of hand. We were assured that this would be dealt with immediately. We then proceeded to remain at Lower Sabie for a meal. On our return down the Lower Sabie Road there was still total bedlam at the sighting and guess what not a ranger in sight. We later bumped into a German tour guide who had been with us at the sighting and waited as patiently as we had - he said that he stayed for another two hours and that categorically no representative from Sanparks visited the sighting!

8 & 9 Jan 2014 at Elephant Walk
10 to 17 January 2014 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:50 am 

As has been said this is a scenario that is becoming more and more common, and as far as I am concerned is going to continue to become so while the rules and regulations are not fully explained and understood at the point of entrance to the park.

I know it seems inconceivable that people do not fully "understand" the concept of a totally wild place but I am convinced that there are some, especially our overseas visitors who genuinely do not and see it more as a type of zoo or sanctuary and do not realise the dangers.

We came across just such a person who genuinely had no idea that Hippos were dangerous when I confronted him out of his car, walking right down to the edge of the dam where 2 Hippos were sparring in order to get a better photo.
When I told him he must get back into his car immediately he asked me "why" and on my answer he seemed really baffled and looked at me :huh:

I have also showed some transgressors the pamphlet with the rules and regs and they are amazed and even thanked me as they claimed to have no knowledge of them.

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:13 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Reading something like this makes me very sad and frustrated too :( :evil: , because I experienced the same thing at a leopard sighting near satara a few days ago. We were out the gate as soon as it opened at 04:30 and being dark we use spotlights to search for eyes and have had some great sightings like that. Most cars as usual turned right out of camp to head off towards the S100 or H7 but we headed left with a few other cars behind.

Im sure lots of people will be familiar with the no entry road a few hundred metres from the camp, well just after that I spotted 3 pairs of eyes in a tree. It turned out to be a mother with two cubs feeding on an impala. We watched them for over an hour, the cubs playing back and forth, even if at quite a distance to us. During this more and more cars arrived and thats when things turned bad and I wish that I had never spotted them. People were out of their cars, hooting at one another trying to get that centimeter closer or some photo. The problem is that the leopard did not take to these people out of their cars and at first stared in their direction hissing and showing her anger, did people get the reason behind her actions, no. They thought it was great fun to see her hair on end baring her teeth in anger :huh: this continued for a few minutes and then one guy parked closer decided to get out and in a split second see charged forward with incredible force and speed, she would then run back and then charge again. These people could not however understand her distress :huh: and eventually she ran off at full speed across to the other side of the road. She was fine, stressed but clear of the masses of cars. Her cubs were left alone though, and she definitely did not make sure they were in a safe place as if she was going hunting, they were in the open and very vulnerable. They looked terribly lost and paced back and forth looking for their mother. Lucliky they stalked off into a thicket out of view of everyone and with no leopard in sight people soon lost interest and left. I dont know if she found them again but they are resourceful.

After that and a few other people getting out of their cars we took the photographic proof of what they were doing and the registration plate to the camp manager. He was very helpful and explained to us that as long as they have the registration number all other details are on file and fines will be posted to them!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:52 am 

I share your anger as I too have experienced a similar incident. A leopard had just caught an impala and had her youngster was there too hiding in the grass and we could just see there heads. A circle of cars pretty much formed around the pair and they were too scared to carry their kill away. As usual some people thought it wise to climb out doing what they do to piss us off as well as the wildlife.
What makes this story worse is that there were two male lion within 50 metres of the kill and without a chance to carry the carcase up a tree, it was only a matter of time before the lion relieved them of their prey that they had worked so hard for. We left knowing what was about to happen and made our way to camp in a pretty sombre mood. Its so unfortunate as looking at the posts people have put up, only shows us how frequently it happens :cry:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Distressing reports .
It is best to drive by , if there is no traffic congestion , without stopping .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I think the advice from ndloti is best – it is just too distressing to witness people behaving like this. But I still report them. I am just very disappointed that the saying “wisdom comes with age” has been proven not to be true!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:52 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Shimamgwanene dam a few days ago .
A quide in an OSV admonished them and they left hastily , driving too fast for me to catch up to get a photo of the number plate .