Skip to Content

What is so very special about Kruger Park?

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Pjw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: What has 'nature' Kruger taught you?

Unread postby Pjw » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:29 pm

Watch, observe, don't be in a hurry. Same applies to life in general, but I think one only learns this with age
"In the end we conserve only that which we love, we love only that which we understand, we understand only that which we are taught"
(Baba Dioum, Senegalese Ecologist)

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:55 pm

Just enjoy every minute!
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Tembe & Kgala

Unread postby Tembe & Kgala » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:12 pm

I learnt that most of the time , I hate humans..;-) but was it a real surprise? :twisted:

Spaniel

Unread postby Spaniel » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:20 pm

How awesome God is in his creation of each animal, each plant to inter connect. If you see a big ellie crossing the road - the way he moves; if you are close enough to see his eyes and then I wonder if he is thinking what are these humans up to in these pieces of tin that make a noise? Do you think they think? Don't know but two sleeps and I am hoping to see some ellies :D

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:13 pm

Nature has taught me to expect the unexpected at all times and just appreciate that I am just a small piece of the whole picture and will never know all there is to know but what a wondrous thing it is to learn and what a wondrous place we have to do it in. :D
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

TonyP

Unread postby TonyP » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:30 pm

Oh yes, they most definately think and by their many varied and wonderful actions, their thoughts are much deeper than many humans.
I have worked over prolonged periods with different herds in neighbouring countries and in some instances I have been recognised and received warm greetings from individuals even after a 5 year absence from the area.
They are amazingly gentle animals, just don't tick them off or catch them on a bad day. Bulls in musth have one thing on their minds so don't interefere by distracting him from his search or thoughts.
By the way, did you know that the word "musth" is an Indian (Hindi I think) word meaning "madness"

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:52 am

I have learnt more than anything to sit still, feel the moment, hear the moment and be grateful for every gift nature offers.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Bushbaby30
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Location: Unfortunately not in KNP so I had to settle with Jo'burg

Unread postby Bushbaby30 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:39 am

I've learnt to appreciate every sighting no matter how small because you can never be sure when you will see something like that again... Even if you don't see any animals there are such a lot of other things to look at and enjoy.
Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished- Lao Tzu

naomi

Unread postby naomi » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:17 pm

TonyP. Please tell us more. I just learned something new which I did not know which is what mysth means (hope i spelled that correctly). Oh, and yes, another thing I learned in Kruger and nature in general is to thank God for what He created.

TonyP

Unread postby TonyP » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:12 pm

naomi wrote:TonyP. Please tell us more.

Naomi, ther's just so much to share and still to learn on my part, maybe one day we'll meet in the park and share a camp fire.
As you can probably tell, my passion is elephants, they are just so gentle, caring and intelligent. Being tolerated by a herd matriach to the point where the whole herd "accepts" you and close, quiet, one sided conversations are possible (responses are deep rumbelings, but they are responses all the same) is just so special. I have been graced to have experienced this with a number of herds on Botswana (the beautiful Savuti/Chobe area) over 25 odd years (I'm 61 now). I have been so privledged.
Sorry mods, this is a bit of a highjack and I'll behave. Naomi,don't stir me up again :wink:

michel367

Unread postby michel367 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:16 pm

Kruger taught me dignity.
Dignity to all living plants and creatures.
We tend to think that we are on top of the food chain, but that thought must be re- thought.

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:53 am

Tembe & Kgala wrote:I learnt that most of the time , I hate humans..;-) but was it a real surprise? :twisted:

How unsightly human habitation is , how we are ruining every bit of the world when our feet touch mother earth .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Chip

Unread postby Chip » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:06 am

What a good post Naomi. Thank you! :clap:

Just to see and appreciate the glory of God's creation every time we go to a National Park is so special to me. Patience and appreciation for all there is to see, whether big or small. As a child, we used to urge my dad on when he wanted to stop for impala or some more common animal or bird, but how things have changed since I began going to Kruger with my friends and later my SO and our family. :D
Proud supporter of the Golden Lions
Read my memoirs and Nov. 2010 Trip Report
Next visit to Kruger: Lower Sabie 3, 4, 5 May,
Tamboti 6, 7 May &
Balule 8, 9, 10, May 2015

UNITE AGAINST POACHING

busybee

Unread postby busybee » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:31 pm

Kruger has taught me to "Be still. And know that I am God". I have learnt that our God is one of order. That all things are known to Him, because they were made by Him. That includes us. I feel closer to God in Kruger than in almost any other place on earth.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:57 pm

It teaches me that nature is a structured, ordered, sustainable plan, that could never have come into being by a 'big bang' of nothing. The Creator created a masterpiece for us to enjoy.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Return to “Kruger National Park”