SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Snakes Yes/No
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:50 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The green snake killed near Malelane.

The books say Green Mambas are more endenic to the warm coastal areas, this could eliminate the Green Mamba , but again snakes do not read text books.

This leaves two more green snakes :the Spotted or Variegated Bush Snake.It is bright green with black spots or crossbars on middle part of the body whith a greenish white underside to yellowish - of this matches but these snakes are slender , and have a max length of 1.3 m. To me this elimenates the Bush snake ( non poisonous ) the one one the photograph appears quite long and thick.

Quite long and thick and green with the seemingly short stubby head and large eyes and light green underside matches the description of the Boomslang max length 2 m , very poisonous but not very dangerous , to me (Dispholidus typus)

Many people have a fear of snakes but these reptiles do a wonderfull job in the food chain . They are mostly aware of our approaching and except for the Puffadder, will give way and will only attack as a last resort ( when cornered or harrassed).

We have seen quite a few snakes on visits to KNP but have never felt threatened .

Should you see them , leave them alone and keep a safe distance

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:27 pm 

Sorry, can't see the picture (blocked by work's firewall) but could it have been a vine snake? Once saw a green snake at Tsokwane picnic sight (came down from the tree). People around were unsure as to whether it was a vine snake or a boomslang. As it was my first ever wild snake I was too much in awe to think about taking a photo.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:16 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Saraf, I might be very wrong here, but I think that it's too big and thick to be a Vine Snake.

Thing is, were it shown without a geographical location, I am sure that most people would be saying that it was a Green Mamba.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Bennievis

I agree with Gamespotter, it is too fat to be a Boomslang, as well as too long, so will offer an opinion that is was Green Mamba. I have visited many a snake park (with my son whom I mentioned is crazy about snakes) and can recall seeing many Mambas of that size. Also watched a video once in which the Mamba was studied and filmed and it was on a Mango farm just outside Malalane, so chances are strong that it was a Green Mamba. Can you recall the shape of the head, or was it too crushed. Usually the Mamba have a coffin shaped head which distinguishes them from other snakes. The is a possibility that it could be another snake, but in unusual form of green. That would then make it a rare sighting indeed.
Noel
:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:34 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I see that you are rather new to the forum, Noel.
Just a warm welcome. :D

Yesterday, a thread was started on the Rameron Pigeon and how it was not meant to be in G'teng. If this is a green mamba, then it is probably part of a much bigger trend.
There was also an article that I read recently about African Rock Pythons being found close to J'burg. Could this not be an indication of greater global change?

Seriously, taken closer to the coast, there would not even be a debate about this snake.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:58 am 

Although late to this thread, thought I would add my 2cents...according to Google Earth the coast of Mozam is only som 120km away from Malelane as the crow flies. I wouldnt consider this too greater distance for the spread of the species. So maybe it is a Green Mamba. Just a thought.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:02 pm 

Well I didn´t follow the discussion, but I refer to the Topioc. I can only tell you my experiences. But I saw twice a Snake in Kruger and that were a Python. One were in July 1998 and the otherone were December 2002. I had been quite alot of times in Kruger. So it looks to me that the density is not that high. I never saw a poisnios snake in Afrika so far.

But you always have to be aware, esspecially in Summer that you have an encounter with a Snake. You are in their territory and not other way around. You also have to be aware that Snakes can occur in Camps and even in the Bungalow. Noone of us can give you a 100% guarantee of not seeing a Snake. I can tell you a Story according to me. When I lived in Lesotho (2001-2003) We went to Knysnar in a Bushcamp. I hate to unpack the Car sop I went to the Loo. when I opened the Door a Snake fall on my Head. For my family it was a huge Joke I jumped out of the Loo pulling to right and the Snake push off to the left. the sanke was as scarry as I am. So 2 things should the Story tell you.

1) Snakes can be verywhere
2) Snakes are also very afraid when the have a meeting with a human.

Best Regards andf enjoy your stay i´m jealous, Because I don´t know when I will be there for the next time.

Post subject: Snakes and hides and bites !
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:29 am 

Hi all,

We are on countdown to our September trip, this is our third Kruger trip from the uk, we are staying in a couple of overnight hides this time which we are really looking forward to (Sable and shipendehni), I have read recently that someone came across a black mamba in their accommodation in the bathroom, I want to know the basic action to take if we encountered a snake, my research so far is to stand still if its very close as they work on vibrations but what happens if it's resident and doesn't leave ! ??? Obviously I wouldn't approach it but how do you deal with snake situations ?? Discuss please !

Post subject: Re: Snakes and hides and bites !
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:41 am 

If you are not on top of its head (in which case you should stay on top of its head) with your one foot then get out and let the camp management deal with it. They deal with snakes more than most visitors. A snake will not bite unless threatened, and it will not catch you or chase you if you move away.

If it flattens its head chances are it can spit so don't look at it from to close 3m min.

Try and isolate it by closing a door so the rangers/management can find it with relative ease.

If it is outside of the building just leave it in peace and give it space.

Always walk at night with a flashlight, even if you are just going to the car for a second.

Post subject: Re: Snakes in parks camps/hides?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:31 pm 

Thank you!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Moggyminder, the best will be to make sure that you do not get too close to the snake in the first place. Eg if you do go the bathroom, stand in the door, scan the bathroom and then enter when it is safe. Like the advice from some of the other 'mites, a torch at night for whatever reason or where ever you go, is not negotiable.

Yes the general rule if you come across a snake is to stand still, but if there is let say 50 or 60 cm between you and the snake, very slowly retreat and when safe to do so, leave. Any snakes in your accommodation, call the duty manager and let them deal with it.

Should you have any other questions, feel free to ask! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bennievis wrote:
Hi Noel.

I cant find the post :redface: but here's the photo again
As I said, this was taken about 2 -3 kms from Malelane Gate inside Kruger.

Will I dare to get involved in this debate?? :hmz: :hmz: This is what made these forums so interesting :D :thumbs_up:

IMO, I will go with a Boomslang. It is not too fat. The one loop of its body in line of where its head is, does look a bit thicker, but it might have eaten something?? Then at the loop of its body further down, if one looks closely, it looks like there is very feint black stripes between the rows of scales - or is it my imagination?? :hmz: Then (maybe my imagination again), from that little piece of the body where one can actually see body scales, they do give me the impression of been keeled (rough).

A Boomslang has keeled (rough) scales and all the other green snakes (water snakes, Green mambas and Spotted Bush snakes) have smooth scales. So in the future, if any of the mites takes a photo of a green snake in the Kruger, take a close up shot of the body scales and post them. Then one will be able to clearly see if the scales were smooth or rough.

This is my 5c worth :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:22 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thanks Mfezi :thumbs_up: lovely explanation.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

No problem MM :thanx:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:58 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Malealea wrote:
I went to the Loo. when I opened the Door a Snake fall on my Head.

It is quite possible. In May we saw a Boomslang at the Nwanetsi Picnic Site in one of the trees, but further away from where the visitors prepare their breakfasts. I guess snake season in Kruger will start now that the weather is warming up. Although it is rare to see snakes in the camps and at picnic sites I think :hmz: A person has to be careful and alert though. In Shimuwini Bushveld camp we have seen a few over the years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next