Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Snakes in parks camps/hides?
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:57 pm 

Hi,
Could anyone please tell me how the "snake" situation is in the park. I am visiting the park in 2 months time and do not wish to encounter these "special" creatures. : :shock:

lol Marina

PS: I am working on my Phobia :pray:

Post subject: Re: Snakes Yes/No
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:31 pm 

Hi Marina,

We have been inthe park 3 times in about 20 months and have done 3 morning walks and driven around from dawn til dusk and we have only seen half a snake in the road :big_eyes: We have been in January and May. I think they are more scared of us than we are of them! However like anything else in the great 'world of Kruger' it is just your luck whether you see anything specific.

Go and enjoy :D

Just booked for January today - I so need my fix

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:37 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

In 3 trips I have only seen two snakes. :(

But while they are there, they 'run' as soon as you arrive, as they are more afraid of you, than you of them....
So if you do see them, roll up your window if you think you need to, but remember it's a priviledge to see them!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:30 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Marina,

first a big welcome to this famous forum :thumbs_up: and secondly please do not allow your "phobie" to prevent you from visiting the park 8)

There are snakes no question but very well hidden whilst in the park 4 times we only saw 5 snakes which is not that much. I am living in Germany and since childhood I am spending my summer holidays in Denmark and believe me I saw more much more snakes in my life up to now in Denmark and Germany (yes we do have snakes ) than in South Africa.

Conclusion - Although the South African one are much more venemous and larger they are much more shyer :P Ours here in the far North are smaller and less venemous but more curious = the Park would be the best place in the world to spend your holidays :thumbs_up:

Just enjoy your trip

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:19 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Depends.
Altough snakes in Kruger are almost never non-active, during the summer months they tend to be much more active. Especially a few days before a huge storm/ rain, these reptiles are looking for shelter, as they are accurate weatherprophets :wink:

Secondly, you will also have an increased chance to see them in camps etc when during winter/spring the surrounding area (veld) has been burned down. They then seek shelter in the camps :roll: :lol:

BUT DON'T BE AFRAID, they are quite scared of humans, except a few. DON'T walk around at night without a torch! Have often see them cross the tarroad. Maybe its just my luck, but I have seen numerous snakes in Kruger :) and MOST of them outside the camp fence :wink: Most people bitten by snakes tried to play hero..

As said previously, you probably won't even see them, because as soon as they take notice of you, the tend to flee. And pufadders are lazy buddies

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:51 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Marina,
As Gamespotter said., walk around with a torch at night and look on the ground for puffies.
With all the human activities going on in the camps snakes keep a low profile 8) . :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:17 am 
Bennievis hits the nail on the head…the camps in Kruger has way too much human activity for a snake to feel comfortable. As someone who is also quite fearful of snakes, I can tell you that there is really no need to worry.
If you are however still in doubt, you can consider taking along a bottle of “Snake Repel”. We use this at our house in Marloth where we do have a problem with snakes (very quiet area and we are only there on weekends, thus an ideal home for a snake :roll: ). This product really work…since we have been using it, we have considerably less snakes around the house and we even once witnessed a black mamba repeatedly turning around at the “line” we spayed with the Snake Repel. I don’t know what this product contains but it does not seem to be harmful to anything.
You should be able to get it at nurseries, Mica…I even bought some at the Spar in Monument Park (this baffled me a bit :lol: )

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:28 am 

Yip G@mespotter, the wise old people use to say that if the snakes 'walk', the rain is coming. Marina, I hope you experience a real thunderstorm in the bush without the 'weather prophets'.... we so need the rain! :pray:

STOP HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER!!

"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right" -Nelson Mandela.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:57 pm 

Hi Marina

We stayed at Lower Sabie safari tent last december and at sunset a puff adder came out from the bush, passed us and then went under the tent and somewhere into the camp. If my husband did not look down before he decided to walk, he would have definitely stepped on it. It was terrifying for me as i have a phobia for snakes but i did not allow that to dampen my stay at the park, although i had difficulty sleeping that night. We did however get really good pics. just remember to wear closed shoes, use a headlamp and look around you esp during the evenings so that you do not step on a snake if it is around.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

In more than 400 nights spent in the KNP , I have probably seen only 10 snakes in all .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:18 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

In all my visits (and there was many of them) to Kruger, I have not seen one venomous snake. But my son, his wife and two friends were staying in Malelane camp last year September. While sitting around their braai fire one night, a mamba appeared out of the dark and disappeared into a gulley next to their rondavel. He told me that they did not sleep very well that night as they were scared it can somehow make its appearance inside the rondavel.

Last edited by Stoffel on Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I would not worry about snakes , i admit that i do not like them one bit :redface: i have seen a few snakes over the years but as many have already said they are more afraid of you and will usually move off if they sense your approach . I have only seen three snakes in the camping areas , and if the snakes are a threat the knp staff will remove them , which i saw in berg-en-dal :D

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:49 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
Also have seen few snakes during my visits to the park, mostly outside the camps, but on two occasions in the camps. Now during March at the bathrooms/showers at the camping grounds in Skukuza, and then the other time at Orpen camp. But as it is been mentioned, if it's a problem, phone the manager on duty, and they will remove the snake, thats what i did with the puffy at Orpen!

Have a awesome time 8)

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:15 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We've stayed in Kruger 2 times with only one snake 4 years ago:it was an african rock python.If you go to the bathroom before dark and keep a torch with you and your eyes peeled open the chances that you will see 1 is very small!And if you see one on the road just admire it from your car!

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

ndloti wrote:
In more than 400 nights spent in the KNP , I have probably seen only 10 snakes in all .

At least 5 of them were puffadders allmost stepped on while walking .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.