Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Where to find leopards
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:06 pm 

ok. so i seem to have got i right . thanx to jessica and cheetah2111!!
here is is cub I saw near lower sabie!

Last edited by RIAAN H on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:21 pm 

the cubs mother. they had an impala kill, A 20 minute wait looking at an impala carcass paid off!

a beautiful male on the lower sabie skukuza road at night { about 5km out of lower sabie!]

cheers

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:20 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Excellent photos :clap: :clap:
Just had ten days in the Kruger over the cricket weekend in Skukuza and had twelve leopards in the ten days. As we only had three lion sightings one begins to wonder????
@ View finder, yes, leopards are supposedly seen early morning, late afternoon but we have seen them at all times of day, including noon ! Whether or not they are becoming more numerous I do not know but our leopard sightings are definitely outstripping our lion sightings which is very different from ten years ago.
I guess any cat sighting is a bonus?? :lol: :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:53 am 

Checkout the section between LS and the sausage tree on the Croc Bridge road.....

Unread postPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:40 am 

I`m new to the forum, its really great to be able to read peoples opinions on topics and hear about the sightings and experiences they have had.
In a weird way it kinda comforts you until you get back into the park and takes the edge off the so called "withdrawal symptoms" of not being in the park.

I was really interested in the this post about " where to find leopards".
I am regular visitor to the park and i can tell before last year August i have seen leopard 3 times in 20 years.
I believe its pretty much right time,right place, right road or right loop when it comes to leopard sightings although i have heard from many people there are particular spots you are more likely to run into them.
So the reason i mentioned "before august last year" was because my luck completely changed when it came into leopards.

I was in the Park for 5 days in August and managed to see six leopards...with an unbelievable sighting between LS and Croc Bridge.

The first one we saw was a young male about 500m from the Numbi gate. (we just manged to make the gates before the closed.
It was the first animal we saw as we got into the park, the second one was on day 2 on the H1-1 on the way out of Pretoriuskop.
Day 3 were lucky to see a young male walk across the road in front of us and settle in a tree.
Unfortunately lying in fork of the tree with its back to us.
This occurred between LS ans Nkhulu.
Then came the ultimate sighting and luck for me.
We were having drinks on the deck at LS and decided to go out for a quick drive before the gates close.
We decided to take the road down towards Croc bridge and was that and inspired decision.
About 3kms on the H4-2 on the left we came across 2 adult leopards together.
We sat and watched them play and court each other.
Eventually just before sunset the 2 decided to climb on a rock and rest.
Below is one of the 320 pics i took of this event.
I have been told by many people this is a very rare sighting to witness so i thought i would be nice to share. The last leopard we saw was from our tented deck at Tambotie.
The leopard was walking along the far side of the dry river bank and then quietly disappeared in front of our eyes

So like i said before i think it got a lot to do with luck and timing.....only regret:
Did not have a better camera however those pics will stay in my memory forever.............

Unread postPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:04 am 

dodi wrote:
After being in phalabowra for 4 weeks the one and only morning I decide not to go on a drive my So sees three leopards mom and two teenagers he has stunning pics Sproky going to show us how to post them can you imagine how I felt

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Hey dodi, see what happens when you stay home. :whistle:

Well here are the pics that D took while you were sleeping. Great shots D! :thumbs_up:

I hope you have a safe trip back to Knysna today. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Leopard in Lower Sabie
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:49 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Taken from Beeld:

Quote:
Veldwagters se deernis en optrede beïndruk
deur Sarel Kruger van Mpumalanga skryf

2011-07-04 23:53

Op 21 Junie het ’n string motoriste ’n luiperdmannetjie en -wyfie gevolg wat in die teerpad voor die Onder Sabie-ruskamp gestap het.

Waarskynlik deur onkunde versper ’n motoris die luiperdwyfie se roete, en só beland sy teen haar sin in die ruskamp.

Nodeloos om te sê ontstaan ’n konsternasie in die kamp terwyl besoekers op die toneel toesak – gewapen met kameras en lus vir aksie.

My vrees was dat óf ’n toeris óf die luiperd onnodig beseer sou word. Wildtuinpersoneellede was egter gou op die toneel om die luiperd te soek en die skare te beheer.

Teen skemer is die luiperd nog nie opgespoor nie.

Intussen het die veldwagters Neels van Wyk en Cross Muchocho op die toneel verskyn en is die veearts in Skukuza met die nodige toerusting ontbied om hulle met die luiperdprobleem te kom bystaan.

“Lokaas” is vinnig bekom en ’n vanghok is sonder verwyl op ’n veilige plek naby die kamphek opgestel.

Letterlik minute later is die luiperd gevang, met ’n pyl ’n slaapmiddel toegedien en na Skukuza geneem om vir tuberkulose en ander siektes getoets te word.

Bevestiging is van die parkowerhede gekry dat die luiperd ná drie dae in ’n goeie toestand in die Onder-Sabie-omgewing vrygelaat is.

Die veldwagters se professionaliteit en deernis het my beïndruk. Dit het gehelp om ’n potensieel gevaarlike situasie sonder beserings of lewensverlies te ontlont.
Beoordeel hierdie artikel:

Basically what is described is the following (In staccato style!)

A leopard entered Lower Sabie, basically due to tourists obstructing her way.

This caused chaos with people rushing to come and see.

Camp personnel acted to manage the situation.

The leopard speedily disappeared.

By sundown there was no sign of the leopard.

Two rangers appeared and a vet was called in from Skukuza.

A trap door cage was put up, and the leopard was speedily caught in the trap.

She was sedated and taken to Skukuza, tested for TB, and released in the Lower Sabie area.

The person thanks the rangers and staff for their professional management of the situation.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject: Eight leopards in 17 days.
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:37 pm 

It appears that we are very fortunate to have seen 8 spotted cats in the 17 days we stayed and operated out of Skukuza. Four off these sightings were at a distance off less than 10-15 meters. Would that be regarded as unusual or does others have simular experinces?

Post subject: Re: Eight leopards in 17 days.
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:46 pm 

:shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

I am happy if I have seen 8 leopards in all my Kruger trips combined!
You have been so very lucky, I would say!

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:07 pm 

We were lucky enough to see 5 in 19 days in May/June this year, which we considered pretty good but I think its the luck of right time and place largely. :D
We spoke to others who were there at the same time as us and saw 1 or 2.

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

In 2009 we saw 8 leopards (one was a repeat sighting) in 4 days!!! :shock: A mother with 2 cubs near Skukuza, 2 on a kill near Satara, a LIT at Nsemani which we then saw again the next day, and one next to the road very close to Orpen!! That's our best record so far! :D

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:41 pm 

I have kept a little log of all the leopards we have seen and where - we are averaging about a leopard every 3.5 days. No secret hiding spot for them either - have seen them all over and at all hours of the day - quite a few at lunchtime when we are just driving back to camp and not really looking! Most sightings have however been around Lower Sabie although we usually stay at Crocodile Bridge and Satara so that makes sense

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:16 pm 

I agree leopard sightings is mostly about being at the right place at the right time.
Worth mentioning was a sighting at the De Laporte water hole 5 km's out of Skukuza.
I arrived there alone to find a leopard lying next to the dam.
It disappeared towards the west a while later and after scanning the surrounding trees I spotted a impala carcass with the cat in the same tree.
A vehicle pulled up and I was giving the driver pointers to the cats location when out of nowhere a second cat appeared right behind the newcomers car.
It was looking directly at the carcass and soon disappeared in that direction.
The newcomer must have gone right up to the tree because the next moment the lawful meat owner let out a mighty growl and jumped onto what was left of his food stash.
Tell you what, I have no illusions as to my origin down the evolutionary line when I witness the state off alertness my body goes into every time I see a leopard….. sweating paws, racing hart, short of breath and no…I am not talking about girls wearing leopard skin bikinis, these ones have tails.
Once I can figure it out how to post photos I will load an share a couple, there are some good shots.
Intriguing the 4 Leopards together Bush Baptist.
Can only be a female with her cubs or perhaps offspring is a better word.
Would it be cubs from the same litter( siblings) or will she allow cubs from different litters to stay with her?. Will different litters tolerate one another?
Can anybody shed some light on this?

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Records I know of:

- six in six sightings on a morning drive from Skukuza to Afsaal.

- seven along the S139 between the S114 and Byamiti Camp on a night drive.

Personally, the best I've done is five in an afternoon drive. I also recall driving from Skukuza to Tshokwane early one morning (first car) in the early 90s, and finding first a leopard fast asleep in the middle of the road, then a sleeping civet, and finally another leopard slumbering on the road.

Johan

Post subject: Re: So many sightings
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:25 pm 

This story of regular Leopard sightings, and good Leopard sightings beats me. They seem to be really changing their spots. Do you think it is really luck, or could it be that they are becoming more accustomed to the cars.

It is really quite incredible like the Leopard lying underneath a bakkie!!! The mammal book I have says they are mainly nocturnal shy creatures, lying up during the day. We have seen them at all times of the day.

Maybe there are just more Leopards or the new Leopard generation as I have mentioned are getting used to cars.

Either way it is wonderful to have Leopard sightings even a fleeting glance gets my adrenalin pumping. My friend Elsa had wonderful sightings on her last trip recently.

On my last trip to Kruger we had better sightings of Leopard than Lion!!!

Mama Faru.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next