SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:20 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Heiko

Pietersburg will be ok as a stop and it is a double lane highway all the way there and I have never had a problem with pedestrians till Pietersburg.

Post subject: Re: From Johannesburg to KNP. Which route???
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

There are a lot of posts on this but assuming you are entering by Malelane or Croc Bridge Gates then as you leave the airport follow the signs for Boksburg (R21) then fork left for Witbank (N12) which meets up with the N4 at Witbank.
Just before Waterval Boven turn left onto the R539 Schoemanskloff loop.
It's a much nicer run.
I think it is signposted Nelspruit.
Just after you hit the N4 again you will find Eric's on the right for a well needed pitstop.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

N1 is the quicker route with highway all the way to Plolkwane, then the route down to tzaneen is very scenic. The route to Nelspruit is a long way round. The other possible way is N4 to Belfast, the Dullsrtoom, Lydenburg, Orichstad, Strydom tuinnel/ Abel Erasmus pass. Its alos scenic,but takes longer as from Belfast on it is mostly single lane traffic and not a freeway

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:40 pm 

kamanjaka.
The route you take will depend on many things.
Firstly, the time you leave JHB, secondly the place you will be staying on your first night and finally, whether you want a scenic route or a direct route.

The scenic routes to KNP are either via the N1 and Polokwane, Magoebas Kloof, Tzaneen, Phalaborwa and into KNP at the Phalaborwa gate, or via N4 Belfast, Lydenburg, Sabie and into KNP at Phabeni Gate close to Hazyview.

The most direct Route is N4 to Nelspruit, White River and into KNP at Numbi Gate, or Nelspruit, Malelane and in at that gate.

I live in JHB and always use the Numbi gate as it is the closest Gate to JHB, but I leave home at 1 am to get to the gate at opening time.
This makes my journey in the darkness so scenery is not an issue.

If your first night is somewhere like Letaba, then it is 220 km from the Numbi gate to Letaba and it takes around 9.5 to 10 hours to do the trip. You might want to then go into the park at a closer gate.

Alternatively, you can go N4 Belfast, Lydenburg, Hoedspruit and go into KNP at the Orpen Gate.

As you can see it depends on what you want, where you are going and what time you leave JHB.

Please let us know if you need more info or give us an idea of time of departure, where you are staying first night and what you would like to see.

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject: Re: how far from johannesburg to krüger with car?
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:38 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I must agree.

Your plan to drive from Johannesburg to Olifants is not a good idea. Though it MAY BE possible, it is not practical!

Book your first night at a camp right next to a gate. I would go for Orpen (Tamboti tented camp is part of Orpen and is real nice to stay in.) if you are heading to Olifants.

If you drive to Orpen, take the N4 form Johannesburg, past Witbank and Middelburg. Then leave the N4 at Belfast, go through Belfast to Dullstroom, go to Lydenburg, then Ohrigstad, go through the J.G. Strydom tunnel (on R36 road), to Hoedspruit and then to Orpen.

Do not follow the N4 all the way to Nelspruit, because then you have to go through Bosbokrand, which is a heavily populated area with difficult driving circumstance!!

In fact, it might be nice to stay one night in Graskop or Sabie area! It is near the Blyderivierspoort canyon, and Gods Window. This is a beautiful area, with magnificent views. Worth a visit! And on your way to the KNP.

For places to stay near Graskop: Forever resorts Blyderivierspoort would be a good bet! Here is a link with a few options HERE

Enjoy!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject: Re: JHB airport to Paul Kruger Gate HELP
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:47 am 

Good morning everyone.

BB, when you drive out of the airport, you will come to a T junction. Turn right. A few hundred meters from here there will be a 4 way stop. Turn left. Drive all the way until you get to the T junction at the main road between Nelspruit and White River, turn right here going uphill. Drive into White River (approx 12 - 15km's) passing a few traffic lights until you get the signboard that says Hazyview, Krugar National Park, R40. Turn left at this sign. You are now on the R40 between Hazyview andWhite River. Do not at any point turn of this road, keep on going until you are in Hazyview. (41km's). at the T junction turn right and drive into Hazyview. You will pass 2 stop streets, 1 at a Total garage, 1 at the Hazyview hotel/Rendevois centre. After this will be 2 traffic lights, 1 where you will see a Engen garage on you right. Pass this one. Just before the second traffic light, there is a pedestrian bridge over the road. On the right side you will see a KFC and shopping centre. This is where you turn right. From here you will drive 41km to the Kruger Gate.

3 Things of importance. As noted before, stop in Hazyview to get all your supplies before going into Kruger, ther is shops in Kruger but it's better to get your stuff in Hazyview. Secondly, keep to the speed limits at all times. Before any traffic officer give you a ticket, you will get a lesson on why you should keep to the speed limits here. Oh, speed limit in the park is 50km/h. Traffic officials are active here so be careful please.

Last and most important to me, on the Kruger Gate Road between Hazyview and Kruger Gate, always be aware for stray animals. Cows and goats roam these roads daily.

If you know the roads, the trip will take you 1.5 hrs, if you don't 2 hrs at most. Total ditance is about 90 - 95km.

Enjoy.

Post subject: Re: Traveling to/from JBN and within Kruger
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:23 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forum, and beware of addiction!

There is a bus from the airport itself to Nelspruit (google Citybug) where you can hire a car. Driving from there to Kruger is not a problem for a single female - I do it all the time! The shuttle mentioned is a small mini-bus and as far as I know the only direct one. Others would require you to get into Jhb or Pretoria first - more time and probably less safe.

Another alternative is to fly from Jhb to Nelspruit (or Hoedspruit or Phalaborwa depending on where in Kruger you stay).

You really need to have a vehicle in Kruger as there is no way of getting to the camps without one - unless you join an organised tour group. Doing activities from the camps is a good idea - but going out on your own is safe, and you will enjoy it. Google for carhire in SA - you will have lots of options!

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Post subject: Re: 1st night from JohBurg Airport - Berg en Dal or Croc Bridge?
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:29 pm 

Hi

We come from Uk too, and usually drive up to Croc Bridge area on first day.

I agree with what every one has said,BUT, this all depends on what time your plane arrives!! If you get in at 7.30 to 8.30 ish then all will be OK. If you are arriving any later then you will not make it up there comfortably before the gates close, and I agree that the first night at Malelane might be a good idea or even Nelspruit area. You can arrange ahead for late entrance at CB & Malelane as it right on the approach road, but I am not sure about BnD. Forumites here will know.

We have arrived twice on the Emirates flights which are usually late, and get in at about 11am. By the time we have picked up the hire car, stop a couple of times for petrol etc, it is 7pm before we get to near Croc Bridge. Also the sun starts going down at 5pm and it is dark at 6 prompt. Driving in the dark is not fun over long distances if you got off a plane from UK that morning, especially if its atwo sector journey. Other forumites may disagree, but if you are on a late arriving plane I promise this is accurate! We once drove to Kruger Gate Hotel off a late plane.............never again! It really does take about 6 hours.

I would rather get to Nelspruit or Hazy view, stay over night in a hotel, have a nice meal etc, and a good sleep, and be nice and fresh at the park gates the following morning than wake up exhausted in the park. ( Dont forget the two hour time difference does make a difference in terms of getting up in the morning even if it doesnt give you jet lag! South Africas 5am is UK's 3am) Then you can drive peacefully and game spot all the way to your camp, check in at 12, have a nice rest, and be fresh for an afternoon drive.

Having said that ,the journey to CB I find easy, its basically N4, left to komatipoort, all the way through komatipoort and left again to CB. Nothing tricky at all. But still 5.5 to 6 hours inc stops. They have a little shop which is quite good and it is a friendly kind of place. We stay at Ngwenya and not CB , but I love the atmosphere there and we have had a good night game drive there.

For the first time ever we are flying up this year, I will miss the drive and the scenery, but not feeling shattered when we get there.

Have a good time

GA.

Just noticed , you get in at 7am. so you will be fine. But this info might be helpful to others.
l

Post subject: Re: Best Route from Jhb
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

yoda wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks for your input.

It seems the N12 route is the best way to go. So I will try it this time.

Where the N12 joins the N4, is it well sign posted which offramp/direction one should take?

Thanks
Yoda

There is no choice Yoda. The 2 highways simply merge . Very simple

@ Bert. Coming from JHB side it's easier to go straight onto the N12 just after Gilloleys interchange rather than go to the airport and then take the R21

Post subject: Re: From JHB to Phallaborwa
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:10 pm 

Can you give me any advice and tips for the way from JHB airport to Phalaborwa by car? We are planning to rent a car in the airport and arrive in the afternoon the gate. Which is the fastest and easiest way???

Thanks a lot

Sweni 21-24/09/2011
Skukuza 24/09/2011

Post subject: Re: From JHB to Phallaborwa
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

From OR Tambo, Take the R21 north to Pretoria Where it joins the N1 at Pretoria, follow the signs to the N1 North,/ Polokwane. Keep on the N1 till you get to Polokwane, then follow the signs to Magoebaskloof/Tzaneen and Phalaborwa. Sorry I don't know thenumber of this road, but I'm sure someone will help (My map is packed ready for my trip)

Post subject: Travel time from O R Tambo to Letaba
Unread postPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:27 pm 

Can someone please give me advice? I land at O R Tambo at 9.30am in June and need to collect a hired car. Presuming I can be on the road by 10.30am, would I make it to Letaba camp before the gates close at 5.30pm? I was thinking of the route via Lydenberg and Ohrigstad.

Post subject: Re: Journey from Jo'burg to Punda Maria gate
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:41 pm 

N1 to LOUIS TRICHARDT- Hook a right at second stop sign(still on N1) keep straight... for quite some time.. follow the road signs... Nice road, a little dodgy at some sports... Else you can turn right just after the Capricorn Toll gate and go via Soekmekaar ect..
alternatively:
"N1"
N1 Rd‎

Head north on N1 Rd
Partial toll road
About 1 hour 4 mins.
go 100 km
total 100 km

Turn left to stay on N1 Rd
About 1 hour 42 mins
go 138 km
total 238 km

Continue onto R101, About 2 mins
go 2.7 km
total 241 km

Turn left onto Nelson Mandela Dr/Nelson Mandela Sb St
Continue to follow Nelson Mandela Dr
About 2 mins
go 1.5 km
total 242 km

Turn right onto Rissik St - About 1 min
go 900 m
total 243 km

Turn left onto Mark St
About 1 min

go 550 m
total 244 km

Slight right onto Landdros Mare St - About 7 mins
go 9.1 km
total 253 km

Continue onto R101- About 1 min
go 1.0 km
total 254 km

Continue onto N1 Rd - About 1 hour 19 mins
go 97.9 km
total 352 km

Turn right at Songozwi St - About 2 mins
go 2.1 km
total 354 km

Continue straight onto R524
Destination will be on the right
About 1 hour 53 mins

go 128 km
total 482 km

Post subject: Travel from Johannesburg (OR Tambo) to Malelane gate
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:35 am 

Hello -
We'll be arriving late at night into OR Tambo, spending the night in an airport hotel, and then heading out early the next day for KNP. Our first camp is Berg en dal so it looks like the Malelane gate will be best.

My question is: what is the best route to get from the airport to the Malelane gate (with a stop along the way for groceries, refreshments and lunch)? There seems to be a number of different way to do this (especially getting out of Johannesburg) and I'm a bit confused!

So I'd appreciate your expert advice.

thanks much~
bustergirl :P

Post subject: Re: Driving from JHB International to Kruger - Directions
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

As a result of all the new Highways in and around Johannesburg I thought I should update these directions
From O.R.Tambo airport to Southern gates
Follow signage in the airport complex to Boksburg/R21 South
Once on the R21 south take the 2nd off-ramp to Benoni/ eMahlaleni N12 east.
Be careful through the roadworks around Benoni, but these clear about 40km from the airport
The N12 joins the N4 just outside eMalahleni
Continue along the highway through the toll gates at Middelburg and Machadadorp
Once through the 2nd toll gate you have choice of 2 passes down into the Lowveld. My personal preference is the Schoemans Kloof pass, but the other pass is also OK. I prefer Schoemanskloof as it is more scenic and avoids the smelly paper mill at Ngodwana
The 2 routes join again at a T junction once you are down the passes
Just before Nelspruit there are still roadworks, so watch the signage , but keep to the N4 option

Crocodile bridge & Malelane gates
Stay on the N4 through Nelspruit and through the next toll plaza
Go through the town of Malelane (where shopping for groceries can be done at either the Pick 'n pay on your
left or the Spar on your right at the 1st traffic lights)
Malelane Gate is well sign posted just outside the town
Crocodile Bridge gate: Continue on the N4 to Komatipoort and turn left into the town. Go straight through the town and the gate is about 10 minute drive

Kruger & Phabeni Gates
Take the White River/ Nelspruit turn off off the highway and follow the signs very carefully There are some very confusing traffic circles as you come off the highway
I am not familiar enough with the area to give you exact directions here, but follow the signs to White river
Once in White river Take a left turn at the 1st traffic lights and right turn at the next lights
Stay on this road till you see the big shopping centre on your left and turn left
Stay on this road till you reach the T junction just outside Hazyview
Turn left and go into the town of Hazyview
At the Spar & Pick 'n Pay centre turn right... There is also a KFC on this corner
For Phabeni gate you will have to make a right turn about 10 min drive out the town
For Kruger gate. Stay on this road until you reach the gate, Be careful of speed limits, stray farm animals and people on this road. Personally I prefer to go in at Phabeni as it takes almost the same time to get to Skukuza as it would on the road outside the park, with the added benefit of the possibility of a great sighting