Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Journey from Jo'burg to Punda Maria gate
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:41 pm 

N1 to LOUIS TRICHARDT- Hook a right at second stop sign(still on N1) keep straight... for quite some time.. follow the road signs... Nice road, a little dodgy at some sports... Else you can turn right just after the Capricorn Toll gate and go via Soekmekaar ect..
alternatively:
"N1"
N1 Rd‎

Head north on N1 Rd
Partial toll road
About 1 hour 4 mins.
go 100 km
total 100 km

Turn left to stay on N1 Rd
About 1 hour 42 mins
go 138 km
total 238 km

Continue onto R101, About 2 mins
go 2.7 km
total 241 km

Turn left onto Nelson Mandela Dr/Nelson Mandela Sb St
Continue to follow Nelson Mandela Dr
About 2 mins
go 1.5 km
total 242 km

Turn right onto Rissik St - About 1 min
go 900 m
total 243 km

Turn left onto Mark St
About 1 min

go 550 m
total 244 km

Slight right onto Landdros Mare St - About 7 mins
go 9.1 km
total 253 km

Continue onto R101- About 1 min
go 1.0 km
total 254 km

Continue onto N1 Rd - About 1 hour 19 mins
go 97.9 km
total 352 km

Turn right at Songozwi St - About 2 mins
go 2.1 km
total 354 km

Continue straight onto R524
Destination will be on the right
About 1 hour 53 mins

go 128 km
total 482 km

Post subject: Re: Driving from JHB International to Kruger - Directions
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

As a result of all the new Highways in and around Johannesburg I thought I should update these directions
From O.R.Tambo airport to Southern gates
Follow signage in the airport complex to Boksburg/R21 South
Once on the R21 south take the 2nd off-ramp to Benoni/ eMahlaleni N12 east.
Be careful through the roadworks around Benoni, but these clear about 40km from the airport
The N12 joins the N4 just outside eMalahleni
Continue along the highway through the toll gates at Middelburg and Machadadorp
Once through the 2nd toll gate you have choice of 2 passes down into the Lowveld. My personal preference is the Schoemans Kloof pass, but the other pass is also OK. I prefer Schoemanskloof as it is more scenic and avoids the smelly paper mill at Ngodwana
The 2 routes join again at a T junction once you are down the passes
Just before Nelspruit there are still roadworks, so watch the signage , but keep to the N4 option

Crocodile bridge & Malelane gates
Stay on the N4 through Nelspruit and through the next toll plaza
Go through the town of Malelane (where shopping for groceries can be done at either the Pick 'n pay on your
left or the Spar on your right at the 1st traffic lights)
Malelane Gate is well sign posted just outside the town
Crocodile Bridge gate: Continue on the N4 to Komatipoort and turn left into the town. Go straight through the town and the gate is about 10 minute drive

Kruger & Phabeni Gates
Take the White River/ Nelspruit turn off off the highway and follow the signs very carefully There are some very confusing traffic circles as you come off the highway
I am not familiar enough with the area to give you exact directions here, but follow the signs to White river
Once in White river Take a left turn at the 1st traffic lights and right turn at the next lights
Stay on this road till you see the big shopping centre on your left and turn left
Stay on this road till you reach the T junction just outside Hazyview
Turn left and go into the town of Hazyview
At the Spar & Pick 'n Pay centre turn right... There is also a KFC on this corner
For Phabeni gate you will have to make a right turn about 10 min drive out the town
For Kruger gate. Stay on this road until you reach the gate, Be careful of speed limits, stray farm animals and people on this road. Personally I prefer to go in at Phabeni as it takes almost the same time to get to Skukuza as it would on the road outside the park, with the added benefit of the possibility of a great sighting

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:05 pm 

I use viamichelin.co.uk for planning road trips - both here in SA and overseas. A very comprehensive and useful site.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:29 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Always use Google Maps
Works very fine for me
And with the see where you drive feature (street view) i can even check the road signs
Or the places where to stop

Post subject: Re: Driving Out of JNB Airport to N4 East
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Elephantears wrote:
How easy is it to navigate out of Car Rentals from the airport towards Malelane? I am sure a few of us overseas travellers have missed the relevant turn off or the slip road in their time!!
Are there any road works or other hold ups currently on the N4 East bound?
Thank you very much.

Like they say, it's really easy if you know the way....As an frequent visitor to OR Tambo, and having had to navigate from the Car Rental Parking garage several times a year, I can tell you that it is really quite easy. Just remember the following:

1. You need to take the exit to the R 21 (S) to Boksburg.
2. This occurs fairly quickly (about 700 m from the exit of the parking garage where the rental cars are).
3. Even if you do rent a GPS from the car rental company, the GPS will not acquire a satellite by the time you need to make your exit (to the left) onto the R 21. Therefor do not stare at the GPS....you will just miss the exit. I learned this the hard way. Just watch the road signage. It is quite clear.
4. Most of the rental car companies have detailed maps of the exit from OR Tambo, and as such will be able to explain the route in detail to you.
5. The Google directions (maps.google.co.za) (enter Europcar OR Tambo International Airport as your departure point and Malelane Gate, Kruger National Park as your destination) are quite good.
6. In the unlikely event that you miss the exit to the R21 (S), do not panic. Continue with the R 24 towards Johannesburg and then get onto the N12 (East)/N4 at Gillooly's interchange (and by that time you GPS should start working).

Now some more seasoned travellers will join this conversation and point out all the mistakes of the above...

Post subject: Re: OR Tambo to Phalaborwa
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:43 am 

When exiting the parking area at ORT make sure you take the correct lane for the onramp onto the R21 North as this onramp is close to the exit from the parking garages.
The R21 towards the N1 near Pretoria is now a double carriage freeway with 4 lanes in both directions.
As is the N1 north until just north of Pretoria where it becomes a freeway with 2 lanes in both directions up until Polokwane/Pietersburg.
So rush hour traffic will hopefully not be too big a problem.
There is electronic e-tolling on the R21 and the N1 until the crossing of the N4 in Pretoria but since you have a hire car this will probably be taken care of by the car hire firm.
There are 4 manual toll gates between Pretoria and Polokwane with a total cost of appr. R122.50 (appr. $11).
There is a Protea hotel just before Polokwane/Pietersburg at the Shell Ultra City.
I would suggest you stay over here as it is an approximate 3 hour drive from ORT.
The bypass road around Polokwane/Pietersburg is appr. 3 km from this point and from here it is still about 200 km to Phalaborwa.
The R71 between Moria/Boyne towards Tzaneen has now been rebuilt with wider shoulders so the road condition is excellent.
It is possible that the last section near Moria/Boyne is still under construction or being finished off so there can still be some delays.
It is good advice to drive this section during daylight as the scenery is nice especially the section through Magoebaskloof. Hope you enjoy it.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:57 am 

Hi
Arriving back in S.A. and Kruger next month, just wondering what the state of play is with the e-tolls around JNB and if anyone knows how hire cars are being affected by this. Are the cars being fitted with tags and you are billed later for the tolls? Or is there something else? I like to think that when I leave the car at ORT there is nothing left to pay. One of the companies once charged me for topping the fuel tank up even though I had it filled to the brim at the airport filling station.
Spending a night at Montecassino before driving up to the park, entering at Malalene or Crocodile Bridge dependant on timing, I see we are liable to be held up by road-works on the N4.
Re Phalaborwa always used to use the R 71 from Polokwane after spending the night there at the Garden Court though did stay once at a hotel in Phalaborwa which made for a quick and easy entrance. Have entered through Parfuri and Punda Maria without any problems, it's only when you go into Google Earth that you realise how many people live on the outskirts of the park. The routine used to be to enter in the North and work our way South but the years are taking their toll and it is now easier to enter from the South and do a loop.
Cheers

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Small creatures and/or insects (2012)
Hi GeorgeM13

Whilst I cannot help you with the condition of the roads, I can tell you about the hire cars and e-tolling as we were out Nov/Dec 2013. Rental cars are now fitted with tags and you are billed for the relevant roads after the vehicle has been returned. This means that (a) you do not know how much it is costing and (b) you are billed for it some time after you have returned home (or returned the car). To be honest we did not even know about the new tolling as had only encountered the toll plazas we passed through on the way to Kruger and paid in cash as needed. We did get an e-mail from the rental company on our return to explain about the tags and that we would be charged on return. Like you, we like to have everything paid up before we get home but can't fathom how else the rental companies could do other than they are doing. In fact, I don't even know on which roads you get e-tolling. Hopefully the South Africans living in country can give you more info on that part.

Hope this helps a bit!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:27 pm 

Quote from Above
Kruger & Phabeni Gates
Take the
Quote:
White River
/ NOT Nelspruit - the road to Nelspruit has a slipway to the left - you don't take that - carry on along the highway - the first road you can exit is for White River take that off ramp and follow till you get the stop street (Please stop - cops watch there often) Turn Right at that stop and go round the first circle and then into the second circle and take the first exit - that is left - you will drive down to the main road - Madiba or Nelson Mandela drive and here you will turn LEFT - go along the R40 to White river and if it is daylight don't exceed the 80 KM hr speed limit

Once in White river Take a left turn at the 1st traffic lights (Toyota Dealer on the opposite Right hand corner) and right turn at the next lights
Stay on this road till you see the big shopping centre on your left and turn left (Caltex Garage on the Right hand corner)
Stay on this road - you will come to a new circle at the Caterbridge Centre - on the Left is the Bagdad Centre) Take the R40 to Hazyview - when you reach Hazyview you reach a T junction just outside Hazyview

DO NOT TAKE THE ROAD TO NUMBI - BAD POTHOLES AND OTHER ISSUES

Turn left and go into the town of Hazyview - You will have several stop streets and TWO traffic lights the first at an Engen Garage and the second at the Blue Haze Mall ( if you need fuel I suggest fill up at the Shell Garage on the left (just where you need to turn right - and then go out along the road Portia Shabangu Drive)
At the Pick 'n Pay (Actually Blue Haze Mall) centre turn right... There is also a KFC on this corner
For Phabeni gate you will have to make a right turn about 10 KM drive out the town

For Kruger gate. Stay on this road until you reach the gate, Be careful of speed limits, stray farm animals and people on this road. Personally I prefer to go in at Phabeni as it takes the same time to get to Skukuza as it would on the road outside the park, with the added benefit of the possibility of a great sighting

Tips - Fuel is available in KP - Total only and it is normally more expensive than the Shell Garage outside
Good Butcher at the Four Way stop just after the Pick and Pay Centre - Oom Kallie se Slaghuis
If you need provisions and want a first class shop - stop over at the Super Spar in Nelspruit - world class store

Have a safe trip.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The construction of the highways and e-toll route around Johannesburg is now completed, so here is an update on the route from O.R Tambo to the Southern gates in Kruger.
When leaving the Airport, follow the signs to the R21 south/ Boksburg.
Once on the R21, take the 2nd exit to the N12 east/ Benoni/ eMalhleni.
The roadworks are now complete, and other than the controversial etoll system, the road is now pleasure to use.
Stay on the N12 until it joins the N4 near eMahlaleni.
Continue on the N4 through the Middelburg and Machadadorp Toll plazas.
Once through the Machadadorp plaza, you can choose either the left or right hand fork .
The left hand fork will take you down Schoemans Kloof pass, which for me, is the more scenic route and has slightly fewer trucks.
The right hand route takes you through the tunnel and past the smelly Ngodwana paper mill.
The road is in good condition, I just hate the smelly paper mill.
These routes join again at the bottom of the passes- choice is yours!
Last time I went to Nelspruit, there were some roadworks nearer the town, but that was some months ago.
If you are going to Malelane or Crocodile Bridge gates, stay on the N4 to Malelane/ Maputo.
There were also road works with stop/go delays on the other side of Nelspruit and I'm not sure when that construction will be complete.
Follow the signs to your gate of choice once you have past the toll Plaza and the town of Malelane.
There was also construction near Komatipoort when I was last there (May2014) and they were diverting the Crocodile Bridge traffic via the Ngwenya road.
If you are going to Numbi, Phabeni or Kruger gates, take the White River off ramp and follow the signs.
I am not familiar enough with this area to give exact directions, but follow the signs.
For Numbi gate you will turn right once through the town of White river.
For Phabeni and Kruger gates continue to the town of Hazyview and turn right at the Spar shopping complex and follow the signs from there.
My personal preference is to always use Phabeni gate as the road from there to Kruger has many speed restrictions and goats, donkeys and cows on the road.
The route through Phabeni gate exposes you to the "risk" of an elephant or rhino traffic jam :lol:
It does not take much longer to get to Skukuza than the Kruger gate route and is much more fun!
Travel safe :D