Skip to Content

Monkeys & Baboons in Camps/picnic Sites etc.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
AndreaB

Re: Monkeys & Baboons in Camps/picnic Sites etc.

Unread postby AndreaB » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:20 am

Grantmissy wrote: My body and sign language trying to convey the message resulted in the kind lady giving me a banana from the fruit bowl.

This did make me giggle.... :D

cheetahlady
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby cheetahlady » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:11 pm

The monkeys and baboons are a problem in a number of camps (also birds and honey badgers). We have avoided Nkulu and Tshokwane at various times because of them. My concern is that they become bolder and put children and women at risk (they do not seem to be scared of women).

I am not sure what the answer is. Having baboon proof bins at all sites and camps would be a start, the ones in Satara B circle seem to work. Educating visitors as to correct storage and disposal of food is also important. Large fines for anyone caught feeding the animals/birds.

Having the fridges in locked metal cages also seems to help. We all have to do our bit to discourage the monkeys, baboons, honey badgers and birds from becoming a problem at picnic sites and camps.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Balule, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

Carol g
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Carol g » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:50 am

suebfly wrote:A picnic spot without food - now there's a thought :tongue:

Mmmmmmm we will have to find a new name for those food less spots :hmz:
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:26 am

:lol: then where are we going to have our sausages, eggs, toast and coffee :hmz:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

cheetahlady
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby cheetahlady » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:10 am

I do not think proximity to towns is the problem. We have been harassed by monkeys and baboons while camping in a remote campsite in a neighbouring country. The baboon ( that was shoulder height, but a lot stronger than me) took an onion off the chopping board while I was cutting vegetables.....

The country in question has, in the past, sent someone to shoot the problem baboons. I am not sure this is the solution.

Again, making it hard for baboons and monkeys to access food is perhaps the best deterrent. That requires everyone to do their part.

The fences in Kruger are there to discourage animals. Any animal that is determined to get in the camp will find a way.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Balule, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:22 am

Baboons and monkeys are Kruger animals and are part of the Kruger, they are found in the veldt, along the rivers, in the roads and because they are attracted to human activities due to their nature, they have and will always be found at the picnic spots and in the camps. Even after measures have been put in place to “keep them out” they will find a way to return. Fortunately humans are (not in all cases) more intelligent than baboons and monkeys therefore we can act more intelligently and civilized than they do when we have to share space. In my experience that is what the majority of visitors to Kruger do. There is always the restaurants in camps for those visitors who prefer a more protected environment to enjoy a meal. I can recommend the breakfast wraps in Berg-en-Dal – they are very good.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Philip1
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2014)

Unread postby Philip1 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:34 am

Koen wrote: I also personally think rest spots (picnic areas) should no longer allow food.

:hmz: "A picnic is a pleasure excursion at which a meal is eaten outdoors (al fresco or in plein air), ideally taking place in a beautiful landscape such as a PARK".
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:39 am

Very true and well said Philip :D :clap: :clap: :clap:. I always enjoy a picnic or breakfast at the Kruger picnic spots - it is one of my highlights when we go to Kruger and will always be. I wish all fellow forum members who enjoy those picnic spots many happy picnics/breakfasts/lunches/afternoon teas :D 8) :thumbs_up: and a bonus there is always something to :cam:.

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:38 pm

We have been told that baboons and monkeys see anyone/any other, giving them food as submission to them - this is how the troop works. And the aggression follows. The baboons see humans as submissive/inferior to them, at least, those giving them food.
Sawubona
Dalene

Mars

Unread postby Mars » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:51 pm

My personal experience : "I personally had a monkey charge me at more than one occasion, I was trapped in a bathroom with a HUGE male baboon, had monkey rip our bread out of our hands but this despite being dangerous is for me part of the experience, part of being in kruger.

My other half just loves monkeys and baboons and she cant wait to be at a picnic spot to see them and what they are up to.

One of my best photo's i ever took was a monkey with baby inside a camp...

And as for the video i posted about the monkey attacking the lady - it was in a sense of humor not in a sense of o look how bad the monkeys is. (she was not hurt at all, just reacted )
Last edited by Mars on Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mars

Unread postby Mars » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:57 pm

Dinky that is almost as with lions - allowing them to eat first, and apart from that once they get food from humans they lose their fear of us and start challenging us thus aggression... attacks etc.

When you stop at some and turn down your window for a photo you can see in their behavior they are waiting for you to throw the food... anticipating

missings.a.!
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby missings.a.! » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:00 pm

stephan groen wrote:Th
So, not as easy but I think at problem areas such as Nkhulu / Tshokwane the hard choices will have to be made sooner or later. I for one do not want to read one day that a small child was killed by a large baboon because the child tried to eat his sweet at a picnic spot....

A very real possibility and even a man could come off worse in an attack by a male baboon.

Unfortunately, all over the world people insist on feeding wild animals.

Although forumites don't like to know that animals are "taken out", it is part of the trade off in allowing visitors and for these parks to remain as they are and not gradually concreted over.

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Rooies » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:35 pm

At a private reserve in the Umbabat area next to Kruger (which I have the privilege to visit often), they had to euthanize (read destroy/kill) an entire troop of baboons which became a danger to visitors. It all started with people feeding them. They got used to the food and resorted to stealing food from under the noses of the people. It ended with baboons breaking into bungalows causing extensive damage.

Feed them and you will eventually pay the price.
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof

Patto

Unread postby Patto » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:27 pm

Carol g wrote:As for the Monkeys, hey Kruger is in the wild, I would be very surprised if the monkeys stayed away, just do what we all do, lock your food away and you shouldn't have a problem. olifants is a great camp and we have never had an overwhelming monkey experience there

I would not let a few monkeys put me off going to the greatest place on earth which Kruger is to me, monkeys and all

Don't think your suggestion works unfortunately Carol (with all due respect :D ). We stayed at Balule a few years ago and on every drive we went on packed all foodstuffs in our car, including our camping fridge, etc. Even went as far as to leave the flap open of the living area of our double domed tent, so that when the monkeys came into camp, they could see there was no food. Did this stop them... NO. they ripped through our brand new tent into the sleeping area, the unzipped our camping cupboard and ate the Omo soap sachets (messing them all over the place). there was nothing in there that had any odours, etc - all was in the car.

At the same time they literally ripped the canvas of a fairly new looking 4x4 caravan that had just arrived. Just about every camper had a bad experience during the 4 nights we were there. All in all it was very unpleasant. It was our first time at Balule, and it certainly captured our heart, but did in a way make the stay not as nice as it could have been. Feel very sorry for Titus, he did everything he could to try keep them out, but they are clever little critters.

I can see where Koen's frustration comes from, not necessarily the delivery of the message or the proposed solutions, but can feel his pain...
"Wealth is not measured by how much you own, but by how much you give to others!"

Carol g
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Carol g » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:54 pm

Oops Patto :big_eyes: I was thinking in terms of chalets when I said lock all your food away, I suppose camping comes with a few problems when trying to do that :doh:
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all

Return to “Kruger National Park”