Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Litter, speeding and lawlessness in Kruger....
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:27 am 

Rooies wrote:
I spoke to somebody who threw a piece of paper out of a taxi window and asked him why is he doing that. His reply was that there are cleaners who will pick up the papers and bottles, and if there are no more papers or bottles lying around, then the cleaners will have no job to do, and that will lead to job losses.

Now how is that for an argument.

On a recent stay at Burg-en-Dal, we sore several staff (probably 15 or so) from the Camp walking along the road OUTSIDE the camp with bags picking up rubbish along the road. On the one hand i was impressed that they were making an effort to keep the park clean. On the other hand, i was very saddened that this was necessary...There are some real savages on this planet.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:56 pm 

Hi pops

Send any pics with all details to the address Here

Emergency Tel # which we have used several times there as well.

Post subject: Litter problem improving??
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:53 am 

I just returned from spending Xmas in the North of Kruger, and as it is the chaos time of the year for SANparks, I thought I need to congratulate all involved in keeping the park tidy.
I have noticed in the past that the litter problem was getting out of hand, but it seems to me it has been resolved.
There are still the odd beer bottle/cans at the side of the road, but it is a HUGE improvement from the past few years!!!! :clap:

Post subject: Re: Litter problem improving??
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:20 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forums KMvanZyl :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Very glad to hear that the litter was kept in check, well done SANParks :clap: :clap:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:29 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
This is the best news for the New Year. My overall impression from what I am reading on the forum is that Kruger was generally well managed, clean and peaceful over the festive period. Well done Kruger management and staff.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:45 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I must concur about the litter. I was most impressed with the general state of the Park. Places which had been a problem seemed to be completely litter free. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It seems to me the speeding day trippers are the main culprits here looking at the areas they vacate at picnic sites , the main tar roads linking camps and picnic sites with entrance gates seemed to have more litter than other roads - I recently collected 4 paper bags full of tins , bottles , crisp packets & plastic containers in 9 days .
Not to mention the cigarette ends ..in the immediate area around the lapa at Nkumbe one can expect to pick up 10 - 15 new cigarette ends per day , not to mention the other litter , beer tops , AA size battery packaging (I kid you not !) , and of course toilet paper etc , carelessly smitten down in the parking and surrounding area .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:03 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Cheetah we were there just a week before you, and also saw no sign of litter, speeding or drunkeness!!
We were mainly North, but spent some time in the South.
It was a pleasure to be there!! :dance:

We had seen some drunkeness, littering and speeding in December before the new alcohol rules, but even with that, it was still marvellous to be back in the park!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:28 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Perceptions can be created by a few posts of people having legitimate complaints about an issue. But because only these voices are heard this becomes the "reality."

One such issue is the issue of littering in KNP.

You will often hear that there are so much litter lying around in KNP. But is this the reality? Is KNP really dirty?

Because of legitimate complaints about littering, the SANParks Honorary Rangers at the request of KNP became involved in litter control in KNP. Under the direction of the local section rangers, HR's were given specific routes to patrol, and pick up any litter they find.

This is an ongoing project.

So what has the result been this far?

This is statistics for the Southern section of the park:

May 2011 .... 115 man hours spent ........ 1528 km travelled ........ 4 bags of litter picked up
June 2011 .... 68 man hours spent ........ 1509 km travelled ........ 1/2 bags of litter picked up

This gives a different perspective on the size of the litter problem.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Imberbe!

If your memory serves you correctly...yes this is a blast from the past. :lol:

I really appreciate this post. I would like to make a similar point:

On all of my visits to Kruger, bad behaviour and litter are RARE, I have found the vast majority of drivers to be law abiding, I have seen relatively little litter (there is always room for improvement though) and I have found law enforcement to be improving. We should not allow our perception of reality to be warped by not sitting back and taking a wider view. As I said, there is room for improvement, but there is certainly no cause for alarm.

Its good to be back.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:35 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I may have posted here before, but I will just reiterate that we spent 2 weeks in KNP in March, mostly in the north, but a few days in the south during the cricket weekend.

We were very plesantly surprised with how we found things.

Of course the north was much quieter than the south, which is why we prefer it.

However even in the south we saw very little speeding or littering, or idiots out of their cars in non designated areas.

We had been there over the Christmas/New Year holidays, before the new alcohol rules kicked in, and that had proved to be a problem with the partying day visitors, but by the time we went in March, they were just bringing in the new rules, and it was working very well.

Can't wait to get back there at the end of September!!! :thumbs_up:

Post subject: What should I do when I see litter on the side of the road?
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:23 am 

I have on a few occasions exited my vehicle to pick up litter on the side of the road. I know it is dangerous to exit my vehicle but i can't stand the site of rubbish lying next to the road when i'm enjoying nature. Is this wrong? and what can I do when I see litter off the side of a bridge that i can't get too?

How do i contribute towards a cleaner national park?

Post subject: Re: What should I do when I see litter on the side of the ro
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:33 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Stickman and welcome to the forum! :thumbs_up:

The ONLY way we can contribute to a cleaner Park is not to litter ourselves. Furthermore, you should just leave the litter in and next to the road...it is against the rules to get out of your vehicles, except at picnic sites, etc. SANParks has dedicated "cleaning teams" who clean the Park regularly...I think!? :hmz:

If one really feels like doing his/her part in cleaning the Park, he/she can always pick-up the rubbish in the camps, picnic spots or hides, where it is legal to do that! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:42 am 

Stickman, by picking up litter (and I understand you wanting to do so) you are putting yourself at risk. Not only with the bigger animals, but with snakes perhaps hiding in the litter etc. We were advised by KNP Spokesman years ago not to be tempted to pick up litter and this was one of the reasons.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:49 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Definitely just leave it. Even HRs have to do a short introductory course before they are pemitted to leave vehicles to pick up litter.....and then must have notified specific people that they are on litter patrol to avoid confusion. Full uniform and decals on the car are also required.

If the litter is right next to the road and you can pick it up without leaving the vehicle then use a plumber's claw thingy, or even a long pair of braai tongs to reach out and grab it. Do not under any circumstances use your hands or get out of the car.

You can also let the park officials know where the litter is when you reach the nearest camp or picnic site.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next