Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Impala knocked down by staff vehicle and then killed by lion
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:47 am 

Hi guys

On my recent trip to Kruger traveling from lower sabie to skukuza, we came across a huge traffic jam. Whilst waiting for our chance to see what was ahead, a vehicle leaving the sighting told us that a staff vehicle had knock down an impala, breaking its back legs, and after , a lioness has come to finish off the job. We had asked the vehicle if he managed to get any details of the staff vehicle, but unforunatly they didnt

to my knowledge I don't think that I can ever remeber so many animals being knocked over by visitors and by staff vehicles than in more recent years. on count I had stopped 5 motor vehicles (3 being Kruger staff) to tell the, to slow down.

I know that this would be an extra expense that could probably go a lot further at the moment , but maybe all sanparks vehicles should be fitted with a speed breaker that won't allow them to exceed the speed limits.

just a suggestion, but I feel that something needs to be done before this issue really gets out of control.

ALso if anybody has any details about the vehicle that knocked over the impala , please let us know

regards
doispan167 ( visitor since 1986)

Post subject: Re: Impala knocked down by staff vehicle and then killed by
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:09 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

doispan167 - I fully agree with you that something has to be done soon to stop the carnage on the roads of the Kruger Park. I too have seen many vehicles (staff and visitors) who have no regard at all for the laid down speed limits and general rules and regulations that are in place.

This topic has been covered on this forum many times before and all have called for management do do something, but the carnage continues!

Below are some of the road kills I have seen on recent trips to the Kruger Park.

No to Hotels in Kruger

Every time I get the news that another Rhino has died, a piece of me dies too - Edna the Brave

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:57 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Shocking :big_eyes:

These incidents just continue.
Seems to never end. And the worst culprits seem to be SANP staff.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:23 am 

Hi and welcome to the forums doispan167 :D

SANParks need as much info as possible such as date, time and exact location, photos. Also registration of vehicle to ascertain that it was indeed a staff vehicle involved.

doispan167 wrote:
Also if anybody has any details about the vehicle that knocked over the impala , please let us know
SANParks ask that this information be reported asap via the correct channels and that is to :

If you wish to report people for breaking rules at the park by means of visuals, please send these pictures to (Senior Traffic Officer: Department of Protection and Traffic Services)
Johan Nel (Chief Traffic Officer);
Skukuza, Tel 0137354370, Cell 0736318682
on his email johannes.nel@sanparks.org
to report such incidences or SANParks crime-line 082 908 3053.
or KNP's Emergency Call Centre on 013 735 4325

Sending in the info to the above contacts is the way we, the public, can assist SANParks deal with this problem.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

thanks for these details DB :thumbs_up:

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:01 pm 

The number of road kills are a big concern, although I have to disagree that it has increased over the last few years. Internet, forums, social media has increased over the years making it easier to share experiences and increasing people's awareness of what is going on in the park.

This has been going on for years and years, and I agree something has to be done.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Think it has also increased, I find it hard to believe that with all the extra traffic especially in the south, that the amount of roadkills would not increase. It should be proportionate to the traffic increase.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ZeeMan77 wrote:
The number of road kills are a big concern, although I have to disagree that it has increased over the last few years. Internet, forums, social media has increased over the years making it easier to share experiences and increasing people's awareness of what is going on in the park.

This has been going on for years and years, and I agree something has to be done.

I don't totally agree with you on this one. Traffic has increased dramaticcaly the last few years, especially in the south. This of course in return ads to the increase of animals being killed on the roads.

Satara Camp 2014-12-29 - 2015-01-05

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:28 pm 

Unfortunatly we arrived at the scene to late , however it was on saturday 4th at around 1pm travelling from lower sabie to skukuza. I would imagine it would have been 10km or so from sunset dam . When we arrived the lioness was already feeding on the impala about 100m in the bush .

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:42 pm 

I see there is post on facebook of another road kill this morning Civet on H4-2, 13.7 from Croc bridge. :(
Maybe it is time for techno monitoring.

Maybe like tracker system.
All vehicles get tracker device when entering park and get handed back when they leave.
Staff vehicles get permanent trackers.
Tracker device can be monitored at central point to determine speeds.
I wonder if this could work.
Maybe it will also assist with poaching .

Just a thought .

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:46 pm 

As my signature questions, would not speed prosecution by distance on all major tar routes go a long way in curbing this problem?

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Perhaps the Sanparks Staff in Kruger should be informed by someone in authority that speeding is not allowed. The Kruger National Park, as the other National Parks, exists for the protection of the nature and the animals. It might address one of the causes for the many roadkills that we see in the Kruger.

doispan167 wrote:
on count I had stopped 5 motor vehicles (3 being Kruger staff) to tell the, to slow down.

We had same experience during recent visits. I would just put the number at 4 out of 5 - 4 being speeding Sanparks employees based on personal experience in Kruger.

Post subject: Litter, speeding and general lawlessness in Kruger....
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:08 am 

I don't want to compain because we are having a wonderful time and camps are clean and staff is friendly and helpfull but what happened to law enforcement for speeding and reckless driving in north. We are already here for nearly 3 weeks and have not seen one traffic officer on the roads. unfortenetly the locals also know it and the speed is terrible. Yesterday we saw 2 taxis going north at 16:45 going over shingwedzi bridge at minumum 120 km/h to reach punda gate. Can somebody give me an honest answer

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7