Game viewing at full-moon

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Grantmissy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Re: Game viewing at full-moon

Unread postby Grantmissy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:37 am

If possible we try to book our Kruger visits when its full moon :) It is very special to see the big full moon rising over the Kruger veldt.

ndloti wrote:Moon rise over the Olifants gorge with the reflection over the water reaching towards you allmost matches any absence of lion calling

:) :thumbs_up:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:48 am

I remember a drive from Lower Sabie with Irving Knight. He stopped, turned the engine and lights off and asked us to bear with him. We sat for 5 minutes and watched the most spectacular moon rise. The moon was orange when it first appeared. We didn't see any game at all on that drive, not even an impala, but its one that will say with me for life.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RemiE » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:40 am

I can’t think of anything more spectacular than a full moon rise anywhere in Kruger. If you can, try and book accommodation at a river side camp when it is full moon.
This year I did our booking during the period of full moon to new moon. (Unfortunately we are missing the fool moon by 4 days) :(
I found in our case that all the cats, big and small, are more active during these periods. But then again it isn't all about the felines of the park :naughty:

For those who are interested in it
This year over December, and a bit into the new year, the moon stages look like this:
03/12/2013 New Moon
04/12/2013 Moon Perigee Moon Rise: 06:16 Set: 20:05
09/12/2013 1st Quarter
17/12/2013 Full Moon Moon Rise: 18:42 Set : 04:59
20/12/2012 Moon Apogee
25/12/2013 3rd Quarter
01/01/2014 New Moon

* Apogee is the farthest point from the earth. Perigee is the closest point to the earth and it is in this stage that the moon appears larger.
**21/12/2013 Summer Solstice

So for those of you who happen to be in Kruger on the 17th December 2013 make sure to not miss the full moon rising over Kruger :popcorn:
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: KNP Dawn to Dusk Jan/Feb 2015

Thunderbird7

Unread postby Thunderbird7 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:55 pm

With regard to the eclipse question, here in sunny (chuffing rainy) Kernow, we had a full eclipse in 1999. It was surprising how much light still came from the very last sliver of the sun before it went dark. Then as it came light again the seagulls all went bonkers - it completely threw them. Before I saw it, i wasn't that bothered about being there but now I would make every effort to see one if i had the chance again.

Bennievis
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bennievis » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:35 pm

saraf wrote:I remember a drive from Lower Sabie with Irving Knight. He stopped, turned the engine and lights off and asked us to bear with him. We sat for 5 minutes and watched the most spectacular moon rise. The moon was orange when it first appeared. We didn't see any game at all on that drive, not even an impala, but its one that will say with me for life.

I can just imagine the atmosphere!
Fantastic :thumbs_up:

jakoboshoff

Unread postby jakoboshoff » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:45 pm

Thanks RemiE, I am in Satara on the 17th, just wanted to google the cycles, now I dont need to!
Looking forward to it.

jakoboshoff

Unread postby jakoboshoff » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:49 pm

Thanks RemiE, I am in Satara on the 17th, just wanted to google the cycles, now I dont need to!
Looking forward to it. :dance:

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby hilda » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:33 am

What a lovely topic! Thank you all for your beautiful, very interesting contributions! What an awesome read! :clap: :clap:

Bahamut wrote:Another small contributing factor to periods of hunting.Note the white under the lion's eye that reflect more 'star' light into the eye during dark night. The hyaena does not have this benefit.ImageAnother small contributing factor to periods of hunting.Note the white under the lion's eye that reflect more 'star' light into the eye during dark night. The hyaena does not have this benefit.

This is VERY interesting! Thank you Bahamut! :dance: :dance:

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RemiE » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:43 am

jakoboshoff wrote:Thanks RemiE, I am in Satara on the 17th, just wanted to google the cycles, now I dont need to!
Looking forward to it. :dance:

:thumbs_up:
You are very fortunate to be in Kruger on the 17th of December. The last time I was in Kruger during full moon it was so 'bright' that the trees casted shadows.
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: KNP Dawn to Dusk Jan/Feb 2015

Return to “Kruger National Park”