Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: First trip: August or December
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:04 am 

Aloha Sheenaugh-Lee

How bad is the drive? Although we love to fly, driving for 6-7 hours is not that bad especially after about 30 hours of flying. Plus we are worried about flight connections and the hassle of going thru multiple rental cars.

We have no problem taking an extra day on the road and arrive at Kruger on 3 Dec provided we can stop somewhere overnight.

Thanks again for your valuable input.

Terry

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:32 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I prefer December to August for the simple reason that the 'veld' (field) is really ugly in August after the long Winter drought. Many people prefer the dry, brown, open bush because they see more animals, but I'd rather struggle to see one well-fed and healthy kudu in a "sea of green" than easily seeing hundreds with their ribs sticking out because of months of food and water scarcity. But maybe that's just me :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My 2 cents....

As MM said, early December is quite quiet in the park (just check the accommodation available in Berg-en -Dal and Satara, there is an abundance until December 15/16).
I would drive from JHB to the lowveld. Most people only travel on holiday around the 16th of December, so traffic volumes will not be high. It is a comfortable 5-hour journey from Johannesburg to Nelspruit, and the roads are generally good and the traffic reasonable. Driving means you get to see more of the country, and as international tourists you get to rent a car with unlimited mileage (unlike the locals who generally only get 200 km per day free).

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:41 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Howzit (the SA equivalent of aloha) jetlag26!

You have been given excellent advice about December, when I have been a few times, as well as August.

Stick with December. There will have been rain. The bush will have started to 'freshen up' after the dry season, but not yet 'expoded' into impenetrability. The antelope will have started calving, and (sorry those who are squeamish and don't like the law of the jungle) the predators will be at hand.

The main attraction of Kruger is self drive. Unless you like to be pampered and are prepared to pay for it and the game drives, there is NOTHING like driving around yourself and finding your own sightings, rather than being driven to a sighting, that is almost as predictable as seeing it in a zoo.

With 2 weeks in the park, you will have a lot of 'WOW' moments and should see all the 'regulars' and maybe some rarities.

At the gate you can buy for about $5US a great map book that also has mammal & bird pics to help you plan your routes.

The camps also do sunset/night/pre dawn drives in their vehicle with a guide, as well as morning walks. I would go on some of these. Day drives you should do yourself.

Be prepared to be blown away!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You will be able to get to Berg en Dal in good time and will even be able to stock up with supplies at Malelane before you enter the park.
Many forum items seem to like the Avanza as it has a height advantage over other smaller cars.
Car air-con will make the heat bearable!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:22 pm 

Wow! What a great community this is! Such wonderful insights and a valuable resource. We travel quite frequently and have never ran into a need to use a forum for our trip planning outside of Trip Advisor.

We think we have the basis of our trip nailed down and it seems that December is good time to go and to stay in two main camps.

What are the check-in/check/out times? And I don't seem to understand the situation on guided tours. Are these only available through the private camps or can these be booked a la carte at the camp?

Thanks again for all of your suggestions and insights.

Terry

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:16 pm 

Hi Terry,

I'm so glad you are finding what you need here.

Check in times are 2pm and you must be out of your accommodation by 10am on the day you leave. In Dec the camp gates open at 04:30 and close at 18:30 - you must ensure you are back at camp by then or you will be given a hefty fine :lol:

SANParks runs its own guided tours out of all the camps. All offer sunset drives and morning drives and some offer night drives. You can also book a guided walk. You can book through reservations (recommended for walks as they can fill up quickly) or book in the camp.

But the best thing about Kruger is getting out on your own and finding your own stuff. Nothing betters it, I promise.

Have fun with the planning.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:36 pm 

We are officially booked!

Four nights at Berg-En-Dal followed by four nights at Satara! Thanks for all your help and suggestions. We hope that Kruger will become our new Smokies as since we moved to an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, we had to give up wildlife enriched parks.

On a related note, what would be a good golf resort to stay for a few days on the way back to Johannesburg? I've read about Legends, but that might be a little too high end, although it sounds spectacular. I can only imagine what the cost of hitting a golf ball off a cliff is.

Thanks again for your help and hope to see some you in the Park in December.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:44 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
There is a golf course at Skukuza rest camp in Kruger.
Visitors are permitted to play there.
I have not done so but I'm sure other forumites have.
The hazards are moving and might eat your ball....or you.

I would stay a night or 2 at Skuk (not the greatest camp for me) and give it a go or 2.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:26 pm 

I would also like advice about the weather. We have booked for middle November and have never been in the KNP that time of the year. Can someone advise please. :? :?

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:08 pm 

Hi Ronniec,

Well we were in the park in Nov last year for 3 weeks. It started off cool, over cast and drizzley, went very hot and humid, then we had thunderstorms and it went cooler again. Because I like to drive with the windows open I was wearing a fleece on some of the early morning drives we did. Then some afternoon drives when we moved between camps I needed ice cloths on my neck to cool down. Temperatures ranged from around 20-40 degrees during the time we were there. We had lots of sun and lots of rain.

Please remember though, I'm British and not used to extremes of weather, hot to me may be moderately mild t others.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Ronniec wrote:
I would also like advice about the weather. We have booked for middle November and have never been in the KNP that time of the year. Can someone advise please. :? :?

Roaneric November normally hot hot hot, but that said we were in Kruger one year end Nov/ beginning Dec and they had a cold snap, sat with a blanket from the chalet around me while SO was doing the braai :doh:

That's not normal but just take a light jersey with you just in case :gflower:
P

Post subject: BEST TIME TO VISIT KRUGER PARK IS WHEN???
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:08 am 

This is the type of question which comes up very often, and is not only asked by new visitors to the park.
I am not a boffin on this subject but have, over the years, visited KNP during all seasons, But I am posting three websites which I believe could help a visitor in making a reasonable decision. Those who know the Park well, only need to read between the lines to get an even better picture. :think:
Perhaps those who know the KNP very well might add to this and perform a very handy service to new visitors. :thumbs_up:

Last edited by Elsa on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Links removed.

Post subject: Re: BEST TIME TO VISIT KRUGER PARK IS WHEN???
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:45 am 

To me the best time to visit Kruger is anytime. I enjoy Kruger all year round. Whether we go there during the dry cold Winter months or the hot, humid, rainy and thunderous Summer...we always have a very pleasant time. The only advice I can add though is the following. During the Winter months, stick to the smaller bush camps, you won't be spending to much time there during the day anyway, as this time of the year is perfect for game spotting at water holes ect. During Summer head for the main camps with lush river views (and swimming pools for the kids and SO). We tend to hang around the camp during the heat of the day. During the rainy season I prefer to stick to the main camps with direct access to the tar roads only because I don't drive a 4 x 4 and almost had a 'got stuck' situation outside Talamati. First time campers should rather steer clear of the rainy seasons lol, nothing beats a Kruger thunderstorm teaching you the basics of camping. Lol In the end I guess it boils down to personal preference. (Sorry that I couldn't answer your question directly)

January/February 2015
Olifants Camp-5 nights (BBD2V), Lower Sabie-5 nights (LST2U), Lodge on banks of Crocodile River 5-nights
And still planning.............

Post subject: Re: BEST TIME TO VISIT KRUGER PARK IS WHEN???
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:59 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
BEST TIME TO VISIT KRUGER PARK IS WHEN???

All the time :D whatever the weather , There is no place like Kruger :D :D :D
When I win the lotto :lol: :lol: :lol:
I will move there and live in my caravan. I will leave there only if it snows, so I think I will be there forever :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

On a more serious note, I do prefer the winter months and the summer months and the autumn months and oh yes , spring is not bad either. :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next