Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: April in Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:18 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have been to KNP twice in April, and have to say that both those trips weren't the best in terms of sightings.
Could be just one of those things.

On the other hand, I went in March a few years ago, and that was brilliant. So I wouldn't read too much into it.

Am sure you will have a great time!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:31 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Just be prepared for lush, thick bush.

Orpen, LS & Croc Bridge are probably the best places to be. Certainly the bush & reed grass around Pkop make it very difficult if the game is not on the road.

I would try roads like the H7 from Orpen and S28 from CB or LS.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

granny wrote:
Thank you for all reply's. Another question: Phabene gate or Malelane considering first night is in Orpen ?
I love the Doispane road but Malelane to Skukusa is also good, but at that time of year am not sure which would be best.

I prefer the H3 from Melalane up to Skukuza.

Either way, it will be a long drive, so give yourself plenty of time.

Post subject: First trip: August or December
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:13 pm 

Hello, we just booked our flight to Johannesburg from 30 Nov to 15 Dec. However it seems that August might be a better time to go due to the heavy rains. We live in Hawai'i so we actually enjoy cooler weather so tropical settings are not a goal.

Our question is how is the weather usually in December and is it recommended to change it to August?

Mahalo.

Post subject: Re: First trip: August or December
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mahalo Jetlag :D Welcome to the Forums! :)

December temperatures soar in the high 30's in some areas and in some areas Nearing the 40's so it is extremely hot in december

august temperatures are much cooler but are already warming up because of spring almost in the loop so seeing as you dont want the hot temperatures I would suggest August its a great time to go to kruger :)

Hope you have many sightings and youll come a share a TR with us ;) ENJOY

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Last edited by Sheenaugh-Lee on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:48 pm 

Thanks, Sheenaugh-Lee

How about the rain issue? Is it always raining or is it like Hawai'i which is very localized or predictable?

I might have spoken to fast as it doesn't seem to be any flights available in August. So I think we might be "stuck" with December.

Thanks again. Looking forward to the first of many trips to Kruger.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hmm rain wise august is more the winds and December yes you get rain sometimes quite a bit but other times we cry out wishing for rain but even if it does rain their is more than enough intervals when the sun does shine again :)

Btw does it really rain a lot in Hawai? I thought it was lovely sunshine :)

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:11 pm 

The real torrential rains that cause the flash floods don't tend to hit until January, however there are usually some severe downpours in December, usually in the afternoons. The heat and humidity can be oppressive. but every year is different.

In Dec you will get lovely long days, all the migrant birds will have returned and will be in full, magnificent breeding plumage, the park will look verdant and lush and you'll get the "awwww" factor in spades with all the impala lambs. And the thunderstorms are mighty impressive (well they are from this gal's point of view, not sure about the storms in Hawaii).

August, while warm during the day, can be chilly in the early mornings and evenings - I am never going on a night drive in winter again. For someone who loves sitting outside listening to all the night noises, winter can be frustrating. The grass will be shorter and leaves will be missing so there is good viewing of what's around.

I don't think there is a bad time of year to visit, but the park is definitely different through the seasons.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:25 pm 

That sounds perfect! Every island has rainy sides (mountain) and sunny sides (ocean). Even on sunny sides it can rain every day (light sun showers), especially during the winter months. The humidity here is generally around 50% but when the trade-winds blow it's very pleasant. When they don't, it can be a little muggy.

Rainstorms in Hawai'i are rare and very rarely do we get lightning. We enjoy the few times when it does rain, so rain in Kruger is welcome for us.

We are used to hot weather and have hiked many times in the rain, so it sounds like December will work just fine. Plus it gives us some time to plan our itinerary. We are very excited about this trip.

Thanks for your input, Sheenaugh-Lee and saraf.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:57 pm 

We'll get right on it!

I know you get this asked a lot but what would be best for a couple of rookies?

We would love to spend a week in the park, with a few guided safaris and maybe even a long hike. Just started going through the options and its mind boggling.

Thanks again for your valuable insights and suggestions.

Terry.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hello jetlag26, welcome to the forum!

You aren't kidding that options abound! This is a great place to get answers and do research. I used the forum almost exclusively when planning our first trip, and bounced ideas and suggestions off of other forumites when we went in May/June of last year. Our first trip we spent 3 nights in a private reserve and 4 in the park, and on our second trip we enjoyed 4 nights in a private reserve and nearly 3 weeks in KNP. Heaven.

To me, there is one camp that cannot be missed - Satara. It is a bit older and shows signs of wear, but the sightings are fantastic! It's smack dab in the middle of big cat country. I couldn't imagine going back to KNP and not including Satara.

My suggestion is that you don't try to cram too many camps into your trip, esp if you're looking at a week in the park. Spend 2-3 nights per camp so that you can enjoy the uniqueness of each and explore the surrounding area. That way you aren't taking too much time packing, unpacking, etc.

I'm not sure what flights you'll be taking from the Islands, but where to stay will depend on if you arrive in SA in the am or the pm. If you will be in Joberg in the morning, I'd suggest flying to Nelspruit and staying in a southern camp for your first night. (Crocodile Bridge, Berg en Dal, maybe Skukuiza, Lower Sabie or Biyamiti) Make your way north (including Satara :)) and spend your last night or two in Tamboti. You can leave Orpen gate easily enough and make it down to Nelspruit to fly out. Morning walks are a must, and something I haven't done yet as my son was too young to go on them. But I haven't heard anyone on here say they are a bad idea. :) Think about booking a bush braii, and do a few of the drives from camp. But don't over-rely on having others show you the wonders of the park - self drive is a fantastic experience!

Please ask away, as this forum is filled with helpful people. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:10 am 

Aloha Stark

Thank you for your suggestions. Now I have a couple of questions.

In regards to a private reserve are you referring to something like Jocks? We will be arriving at Johannesburg around 7:15 in the morning on 2 Dec. I understand flights to Nelspruit are fairly inexpensive, but wouldn't we be better off just renting a car in Johannesburg and drive to Kruger? We plan to spend the rest of our trip in Johannesburg so I assume we will need a car there. Living on an island we don't get to do many car trips. You can only go around in circles so many times.

And if we stay a few nights at a private reserve like Jocks, then drive over to one of the park's camps like Berg en Dai, then outside of housing do we need to reserve anything else? Do the guided hikes get filled up or are they based on occupancy at the time?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:56 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A very good morning to you Jetlag :D

Early December is surprisingly quiet in the Park. It is one of my favorite times of the year. Although rain can set in, it is never unpleasant. December is one of the most unpredictable rain months.

The bush shouts with life. The birds are into romance and there is new life everywhere. Even the grass sings.

The baby impalas are a delight with little nurseries dotted all over the bush.

Here are a few images from an early December trip.

I would not hesitate to book this time of the year.

The Park really starts to get busy about the 16th December when we have a public holiday. I would say that you can book walks, drives ect beforehand. I like to book according to weather conditions.

Stark has given good advice. I tend to love self drive and take a few scheduled bush activities thrown into the mix. You do not have to stay at private camps, although some like the experience. Bush walks, drives and braais are offered from nearly all the camps.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:30 am 

Good morning, Meandering Mouse! Even though it's early evening here (17:30).

Your pictures are fantastic and your suggestions are very interesting. I agree with you in terms of doing activities based on weather conditions. It's too logical. Just wasn't sure if the activities (bush walks, drives and braais) were available or booked in advance.n Good to know about the holiday. We will be on our flight home on 16 Dec!

We think we will start off a few days in Berg-en-dal then a few days at Satara.

Thanks again.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Terry :)

I can understand that you would want to drive a round given the fact that the isald only has so many places to go but Ive got to tell you that if your landing the 2nd of december the school holidays have already started that means HEAVY traffic and bad driving I would rather suggest to you to fly to Nelspruit and drive those last few KM's to Kruger, you will get more than enough drive time in the kruger :) believe me their is more than enough KM's in the park to put on the clock their guaranteed :) as for the activities go on a bush walk, bush braai and a game drive you will enjoy every minite of it all have a ball :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next