Skip to Content

Best time to visit KNP - where and when

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DotDan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:57 am

Just to add what gerhard said.

I have been to Kruger in all of the seasons. Everytime I see something different and see sopmething else.

Just a quick guideline:

Jun-Aug - Best game viewing time, animals tend to congrigate close to waterholes. Bush is not thick which makes it easier to spot something.

Sep-Nov - Spring, First rains. New life, everything around seems alife and happy, bush is still not too thick so game viewing is good. Many animals give birth, or start mating.

Dec-Feb - Summer time is in full swing and bush and surroundings are lush and green. Tempratures can reach boiling point at midday. Best game viewing time are in the morning and afternoons when cooler tempratures allow animals to move around. Vegatation is thick and spotting game can be tricky at times.

Mar-May - End of Summer. Tempratures are still very hot during midday. Game viewing is eratic as animals are widely dispersed throughout the park. Vegatation is at its thickest which can make game viewing difficult at times. Last bit of thunderstorms come down before winter.

Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Foxy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:00 pm

Don't forget school holidays which are April (Easter) and July, so if you should either of those periods you should make your reservations as soon as possible.

Location: Kruger Park Lodge, Hazyview, Mpumalanga, South Africa

Unread postby cambalala » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:05 pm

My 2 cents: We were last there in the last weeks of April, early May. Weather was stunning and the visibility was also good.
Cambalala guest house - Kruger Park Lodge

Wild about cats
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: where to stay in summer? South or Middle of the Kruger

Unread postby Wild about cats » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:26 pm

The entire park is very productive in summer- if you want mammals, go south or central, for birds go north.
Note: The northern region is very remote and peaceful.
Its the perfect place to go if you want to escape all the day to day fuss.
Very quiet. J
However, the south are extremely productive regions, and lions and others big cats are spotted on a daily basis.
The temperature is a lot cooler than up north, especially in summer.
Next SANPark: Mapungubwe 2015

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Letaba Ladies, 3rd Edition - '14 - '15

Re: Trip to KNP in May

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:36 pm

We travel to Kruger every May/June and I can assure you the weather is usually very good at that time of the year, cool to cold nights and lovely warm to hot days with very little rain. :D
Game viewing is also good as the bush thins out and becomes browner.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Re: New Years in Kruger

Unread postby Xmantis » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:20 pm

Hi fieryneck,

We have spent the past 4 years in the kruger at new years.. Most camps have a special news years dinner, but that doesn't really go on past 11ish. Some camps organize a bush braai, which I've heard can go on pretty late and are more of a party. You would have to have a look closer to the time though. Otherwise.. besides the far away merriment of the staff, the camps are very quiet mostly.
The least movement is of importance to all nature. The entire ocean is affected by a pebble.

Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby robertson » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:50 pm

We go twice a year and it is our first New Years this year can't wait.
If your dream does not scare you, then it is not big enough.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby gerharddb » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:33 pm

I’ve been in P/KoP 4 years ago over new years and I can say it was one of the best new years I had!
There were a small gathering at the swimming pool and you were allowed to bring your picnic basket and blanket and sit and wait for the time to say welcome to another year.
And just a few minutes before midnight a few lions started roaring and on exactly 12 they stopped which was awesome. The staff there were the first to say happy new year to everyone with a firm handshake and BIG smiles!!
No one was out of line and by half past it was as quiet as the bush around us.
Ratpack Member.

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!

Crowded Kruger..

Unread postby hugo501 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:30 am

With my 1st ever trip to Kruger just about 1.5 months to go (the wait is killing me :wall: )
I am a bit concerned in that I chose the worst possible time to go.. December Holidays..

From what I have read on the forum it is very crowded at time of the year and and there's a lot of traffic..
We will be staying in Skukuza and was wondering if anybody has got any tips for me to beat / avoid the crowds?
Any quiet roads?
How early do we have to be waiting at the camp gates before they open to be in the 1st few cars?

We have booked a bush walk and a sunset game drive so I guess on those we will not have to be battling the crowds to get a good sighting..

Any help much appreciated..

Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Crowded Kruger..

Unread postby christo » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:12 am

The nice part about december is that not everybody leave when the campgates open, so you frequently have less of a congestion on the roads than a July morning.

The other benefit is that the park gates open an hour later, giving you an hour headstart on the day visitors. The road to Phabeni gate is an example of a road I've had numerous leopard and lion sightings on up to the time the phabeni gate opens.

The gravel roads are good options, but defalte your tyres a little, as they were very corrugated recently.
To change ones life start immideately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions.

Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Crowded Kruger..

Unread postby acekam » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:02 am

Skukuza is both a lovely camp and situated in a game-rich area, so don't have any regrets about booking there.
I have stayed there a few times in December and the crowds are easily avoided, but you need to have a strategy.

1) Be at the gates when they open at 4:30 - you don't have to be first in the queue because you're going to take the road less travelled anyway.
Although it will seem like there are a lot of cars, less than 5% of the camp's visitors will be going out at that time.

2) Hover around the sightings board the evening before and find out what people have seen on their late afternoon drives and where.
This is important information because you will be avoiding those roads in the morning.
Everyone else will be rushing back there first thing in the morning to catch those mating lions because word gets around pretty quickly, but the said lions will be long gone, probably having moved to another road which you will have all to yourself.

3) If there are 20 cars in line when the gate opens, 18 of them will turn left out of Skukuza, then turn right onto the road to Lower Sabie.
That's the main route to avoid at that time.
Instead, I enjoy going over the low water bridge, along the Maroela Loop, then taking the Salitje dirt road to Mlondozi, followed by breakfast on the deck at Lower Sabie.
The drive back to Skukuza will have traffic, but its scenic and the animals will have gone to ground by that time anyway.

The other morning drive I like is to stop off at Lake Panic for a bit of tranquillity, then carry on towards Kruger Gate, but turn off just before onto the Sabie River Road, which has a wild feel to it and is excellent for birding and rhinos.

Not sure how many nights you're at Skukuza, but you can also avoid the early crowds by going south on the tar road, turning off onto the dirt road S114 and then onto the S21.
You will barely see another car on this road and it meets up eventually with the main Skukuza-Lower Sabie Road. However, there are no picnic spots or toilets with this option, so come stocked with breakfast and a strong bladder.

4) On late afternoon drives, the roads around Skukuza can be very crowded, so best bet is to hang out at a waterhole - Transport Dam, Renosterkoppies and Nwaswitshaka are good bets.

5) Within the camp during the day, avoid the fast food restaurant area at peak mealtimes.
However, the buffet breakfast is normally quite empty and is good value - ask to sit at one of the outside tables overlooking the river.

6) In the heat of the day, visit the Skukuza-Hamilton library - its nicely air-conditioned, has some interesting historical memorabilia, good books and rarely draws a crowd.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children

Re: Finding the unusual - Kruger in August

Unread postby Imberbe » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:52 pm

Hi Martyn

Welcome to the Forums!

A sunset drive start approx. one to one and a half hours before sunset, while a night drive start after dark. I do prefer the sunset drive since it tends to give better sightings of both diurnal, nocturnal and animals that are active at sunset. Many nocturnal animals are active way before dark, and sightings while it is still light can be very rewarding. Because of very limited sight during the night, night drives can sometimes become a bit boring. But then again ... you never know what you may find! :cam:

The drives are approx. 3 hours. So, by the time you return to camp the shops and restaurants would have closed. Eat before you leave!

Sightings boards are changed regularly by visitors, but are notoriously in accurate. Animals have feet after all ... :wink: (And guests short memories.)

There is the odd chance of finding an animal inside the camp, but that is limited. Some camps have resident animals such as Letaba's bush buck, and Skukuza have bush babies. The best option to find these types of animals are the sunset drives. You often see animals such as civet, genet and bush babies
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Kruger National Park to visit Finland

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:10 pm

Welcome to the forum Jpi.

October/November is a great time to visit Kruger.
The rainy season has just started and the bush is getting greener without the thick growth.
There is not much surface water yet and so the animals are likely to be near the rivers & waterholes, plus the migrant birds are back.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: KNP in early May

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:46 am

I love May, I think that it must be one of my favourite months.
There are many areas where the Autumn colours are still in evidence. It's a lovely time to take a drive through some of the Mopani land.

The bush puddles are dry, which means sightings are many at waterholes and dams.
The weather must be at its most perfect, for MM that is :wink: Not too cold at night and not too hot in the day.
In early May there might still be some rutting Impies around. That's enough to keep anyone awake and entertained.

I found that on my last May trip, the Park seemed to be frequented mainly by pensioners. That does tend to mean a lower noise level.. I would go again in May at the drop of a hat.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Re: Kruger in August/ September

Unread postby Foxy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:17 pm

Private schools have holidays during August which means you should still make reservations as soon as possible.

Return to “Kruger National Park”