SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crime in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:17 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I have definitely never had a problem with crime anywhere in a South African National Park (other than monkeys and baboons!!)

Last year we spent 2 months in Phalaborwa and went in as day visitors almost every day.
We regularly visited rest camps and picnic sites, and felt safe at all times (apart from naughty ellies in the road on occasions!!)

Let's hope not many people are influenced by these outrages claims. :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:22 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

The safest place in SA for me are the national parks
Coming from a very safe Holland and started visiting Kruger from 1999 i never once felt unsafe
Same with all the B&Bs and resorts i have visited throughout the years

Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:47 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
I've always felt safe in national parks, and that includes Kruger. I was dismayed when locks were introduced to huts, bungalows, and chalets a decade or so ago, thinking that crime must have risen dramatically for this to happen, especially as I had never heard of anyone robbing accommodation in the past. However, in the coming years there was no indication of this and I still believe that most people that visit national parks are there solely to enjoy the bush. In camping grounds, I have never heard of anyone robbing someone else's camp site for anything, and most campers leave all their possessions unlocked and often unguarded. Truly, I think it would show very low morals for someone to steal anything of others in these situations, and luckily this does not seem to happen.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:53 am 

I think the keys are psychological rather than functional, the feeling of being given a key when you book in just feels like you are "getting" something that's "yours" however temporary. I remember feeling a bit lost when going to Tamboti and not getting a key, it just felt strange.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:05 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
It is all about perceptions. A farm murder in the Free State hardly makes the headlines because it is so prevalent. The theft of a cell phone in Kruger will make headlines because of the infrequency of such an occurrence.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:57 pm 

We (rather dozy and stressed husband!) accidentally left a bag at the restaurant in Satara a few years ago. It only had few things of importance in it - like all our passports (2 adults and 3 children) a wallet with a considerable amount of cash, flight tickets to various places, binoculars and various other items of value. By the time we realised we no longer had it we were committed to getting to our next stop at Skukuza. We reported it on our arrival and within 30 mins someone called in at our hut to say they had our bag and would get it back to us the following day..when we were due at Pretoriouskop. We were a bit relieved but anxious about what would actually be returned. The following evening the bag was delivered to us with absolutely everything still there. Can't think of many places in the world where this would happen - let alone so efficiently and totally without expectation of thanks and reward. Its part of what makes kruger so very special

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
We have been to the Kruger many times and have not yet experienced any sort of theft/crime. The only crime we have encountered is at some of the shops in the park,when I say crime I mean the absolute ridiculous mark up of some of the items

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:28 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Jeloco60, thank you for that wonderful and heartwarming story. :D I can only imagine your anxiety while waiting for your items.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:24 am 

My boyfriend found a rather expensive watch in one of the ablution blocks in Lower Sabie last August. When we went to reception to hand it in the staff there had already had a call from the worried owner saying he'd lost it. They said they'd been confident it would be able to get back to him as people often handed in lost property, often expensive items, so to not worry.

I love he fact that they could say this and that it seemed completely normal to them that this would happen!
:D

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:50 am 

I think most of the staff and visitors to Kruger deserves a big :thumbs_up:
I had an incident two years ago when I went birding up at Punda with my father and my 4 year old son. We Entered at Phalaborwa and took a leisurely drive to Shingwedzi via Letaba and Mopani. When we got to Shingwedzi, my dad realized that he left his camera(Canon D500 + 500mm Lense) at one of the hides along the S50. Being a bit dilly (light Alzheimers) he couldn't remember at which one! We went back to all of them, but found nothing. Back at Shingwedzi I wnt to reception and found nothing. In desperation I then phoned Mopani and nearly did a back flip when the ladies at reception told me that a young couple has only just brought it in! :big_eyes:
Needles to say, I had to push the speed limit a bit :redface: :redface: :redface: to get the camera and be at Punda in time. I phoned the couple who handed in the camera and really told them that we appreciated such a humbling experience. All kinds of thing goes through your mind (especially if you listen to the media).

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:14 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I can reassure visitors the KNP that I have never ever had anything stolen from me or my party except for a Yellow-billed Kite that in August 1967 pinched a piece of wors from the pan when my dear old mother turned her back and then Vervets who helped them selves to fruit at Nwamanzi and Tshokwane.

I have earlier posted about a camera left behind at Shingwedzi in 1970 - when we enquired from Satara, Quarta Pretorius reported that it is safe custody.

Very often one accidentally drops something on the floor, just to find it on your pillow or bedside table upon returning from a pleasant drive.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:12 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Picture this scene!!! :hmz:

Val had visited Kruger for 35 years and considered herself quite bush savvy!! :lol:

She was visiting Tshokwane with Pommie friends, and as she sat with them under the lapa, armed with Chicken Mayo Sarnies, she said to the visitors "Now be careful, these naughty mon................ and before she could finish her sentence (which would have been "keys will try and steal your food") her sarnie was nicked right out of her hand!!!! :big_eyes:

Embarrasment big time!! :redface: :redface:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:11 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
My first trip to the Kruger was way back, there were no keys to any bungalow. Lucky for me I still go Krugerparking with my caravan to this day, and have not had any theft whatsoever, from people or primates.
My fellow campers/caravan'ers and bungalow neighbors, do not take things from each other. All you have to do while Krugerparking is make sure you keep your campsite/bungalow free of temptations, primates will get you if you are uninformed or just plain lazy to pack your things away.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Once after a very early alarm on my cell phone, I left it in my bed. When I got back from early morning drive, it was still in nicely made bed! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:14 pm 

I have only had one incident of theft in the 35 years that we've been going to Kruger. Our Isosteel flask was taken from our verandah of our rondawel. It was standing next to the fridge, ready for our morning outing, but somebody obviously needed it more than we did :twisted:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next