Skip to Content

Crime in Kruger

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Crime in Kruger

Unread postby RobertT » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:39 am

Just curious here, it has been mentioned before of old days and no keys for untis. Today we have keys, my curiosity is, were the locks and keys installed because people requested them or felt more comfortable with them or because the park felt it necessary.

At night when you sleep,
a)do you lock your unit?
If you do, do you lock the unit because of habit(because you can) or because you feel unsafe?

b) Do you feel unsafe in the safari tents, what about campers who cannot lock up tents?

So do we lock out of fear or do we lock because the lock is there and we are programmed to lock locks.

I have often slept without locking.

TheunsH
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby TheunsH » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:16 am

Robert, I lock the door because of habit, I think most of us are so use of locking that we do when we have a lock! :hmz:

I don't feel unsafe in the Safari tents at all, but I do put the latch on. The reason for that is to prevent animals from entering! :lol: :lol:

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:26 am

RobertT I suspect the locks were put there because there were asked for by visitors.

I lock the door. I think its sends out a signal - "This is private, if you have no business here please do not come in". We all have a need for personal space and privacy.
Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015. Voting is now open - see here for details

Kayth

Unread postby Kayth » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:07 pm

you know.....I thought very long and hard before posting this..and it seems that the voices in my head will not let me be at peace until I put in my 2cents worth, so here it is :

I have lived in South Africa my ENTIRE life.....without Incident. I have lived in Johannesburg, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, Durban and Plettenberg Bay before settling down in Cape Town again, and I can honestly say not once in my life have I had an unpleasant experience, I have never had a house robbery, I have never been Hi-Jacked, I have never been mugged.
(perhaps I am just lucky)

That said and done, by regular trips to ALL of SA's Nature reserves have also gone without incident. I am often up in Johannesburg for work, and try to arrange it so that I can have a weekend in Kruger, or a few days.

Even my childhood Holidays of the 3x yearly trip to Kruger have never left anything but happy memories.

I agree with Bush Baptist, Africa is not for sissies, and as someone who spends my days convincing tourists to come to this great country, I feel that it is essential that they are informed of what they can do in order to enjoy their trip to the fullest. BUT....and its a BIG BUT.....I am not going to tell them unfounded horror stories and petrify them....its about balance and weighing the pros against the cons !

Any country you go to, will have crime, and will have its disadvantages, and having lived or at least spent a great deal of time in other countries, nothing, IMHO compares to Africa, Kruger and all the other wonderful things that we have going for us.

Call me an optimist, but I also believe in Karma, and what you think/say you will attract to yourself.

Saying that you dont know of any friends or family here that have not been DIRECTLY affected by crime is a superlative, but then again that is just my honest opinion.

So there you have it, my 5 cents worth by the look of things ! :hmz:

wmahon465

Unread postby wmahon465 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:21 pm

I am a pensioner from the UK who will make his 4th visit to Kruger in 2 1/2 yrs. I have also been to Cape Town and Knysna.

We have always been careful but to be honest we have never felt threatened. I have read posts about Bushbuckridge, we stopped for petrol there in February near the bus station on our way to Orpen gate, we were treated with respect, had a load of local kids on a school trip pose in the station area. I honestly think the conditions have improved for some but it may not be fast enough.

We stay outside the park and enter daily, I left about 1200 rand in the bedroom one morning of my hotel, money I got out for gate entry and normal expenses. When I got to Phabeni gate I realised, went back to our Hazyview hotel, the money was piled up in the centre of the bed with a note from the cleaner, it was all there.

I don't feel safe in London or in our local area. When I was young, no one locked their doors, now we do soon as we get home. Remember, a locked door only keeps an honest person out.

We also may have been lucky and I hope the luck continues as I intend to continue visiting as long as I am able.
----------------------------------------------------
Confirmed Kruger junkie
-----------------------------------------------------
Next visit Jan 15th 2014 13 Days

afrikafan

Unread postby afrikafan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:39 pm

We´ve been travelled about 15 times to South Africa an surrounding countries, and we never had any problems. We are from Austria and
at least one time a year we are there. Also we´ve been 10 times to the Kruger and travelled thousands of kilometers without any problem, we
accept the people and the country and can only recommand to be there.
We always found friendly, helpfull people and even we had problems with our car we found someone who helped without asking for !
THANKS TO THE PEOPLE OF SOUTH AFRICA YOU GAVE US A WONDERFUL TIME !

"If you are at the wrong time, at the wrong place, it can happen everywhere in the world" :D :D :D

donnalea

Unread postby donnalea » Tue May 29, 2012 7:51 pm

The Kruger is the place I love to go to get away from it all. The only thing ever stolen were my eggs from the fridge at Pretoriuskop and that was by monkeys, and totally my fault. :D

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Tue May 29, 2012 8:17 pm

I have definitely never had a problem with crime anywhere in a South African National Park (other than monkeys and baboons!!)

Last year we spent 2 months in Phalaborwa and went in as day visitors almost every day.
We regularly visited rest camps and picnic sites, and felt safe at all times (apart from naughty ellies in the road on occasions!!)

Let's hope not many people are influenced by these outrages claims. :twisted:
Thinking of my beloved South Africa every day.

Virtual Potjie Competition for VHR Far School's Project

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bert » Wed May 30, 2012 12:22 pm

The safest place in SA for me are the national parks
Coming from a very safe Holland and started visiting Kruger from 1999 i never once felt unsafe
Same with all the B&Bs and resorts i have visited throughout the years

onewithnature
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Thu May 31, 2012 9:47 am

I've always felt safe in national parks, and that includes Kruger. I was dismayed when locks were introduced to huts, bungalows, and chalets a decade or so ago, thinking that crime must have risen dramatically for this to happen, especially as I had never heard of anyone robbing accommodation in the past. However, in the coming years there was no indication of this and I still believe that most people that visit national parks are there solely to enjoy the bush. In camping grounds, I have never heard of anyone robbing someone else's camp site for anything, and most campers leave all their possessions unlocked and often unguarded. Truly, I think it would show very low morals for someone to steal anything of others in these situations, and luckily this does not seem to happen.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Thu May 31, 2012 9:53 am

I think the keys are psychological rather than functional, the feeling of being given a key when you book in just feels like you are "getting" something that's "yours" however temporary. I remember feeling a bit lost when going to Tamboti and not getting a key, it just felt strange.
Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015. Voting is now open - see here for details

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Rooies » Thu May 31, 2012 10:05 am

It is all about perceptions. A farm murder in the Free State hardly makes the headlines because it is so prevalent. The theft of a cell phone in Kruger will make headlines because of the infrequency of such an occurrence.
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof

jelico60

Unread postby jelico60 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:57 pm

We (rather dozy and stressed husband!) accidentally left a bag at the restaurant in Satara a few years ago. It only had few things of importance in it - like all our passports (2 adults and 3 children) a wallet with a considerable amount of cash, flight tickets to various places, binoculars and various other items of value. By the time we realised we no longer had it we were committed to getting to our next stop at Skukuza. We reported it on our arrival and within 30 mins someone called in at our hut to say they had our bag and would get it back to us the following day..when we were due at Pretoriouskop. We were a bit relieved but anxious about what would actually be returned. The following evening the bag was delivered to us with absolutely everything still there. Can't think of many places in the world where this would happen - let alone so efficiently and totally without expectation of thanks and reward. Its part of what makes kruger so very special

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby tent dweller » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:16 am

We have been to the Kruger many times and have not yet experienced any sort of theft/crime. The only crime we have encountered is at some of the shops in the park,when I say crime I mean the absolute ridiculous mark up of some of the items
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

Gemma T

Unread postby Gemma T » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:24 am

My boyfriend found a rather expensive watch in one of the ablution blocks in Lower Sabie last August. When we went to reception to hand it in the staff there had already had a call from the worried owner saying he'd lost it. They said they'd been confident it would be able to get back to him as people often handed in lost property, often expensive items, so to not worry.

I love he fact that they could say this and that it seemed completely normal to them that this would happen!
:D
When I'm not in the Park, I'm thinking of it...
Bittersweet Return to Paradise TR - Aug 2011

Return to “Kruger National Park”