Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Alighting from the car on bridges?
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:54 pm 

Missings.a, I hear ya, and I understand your frustration under the present circumstances. :(

but the thing is, people are getting out on the bridges they are not supposed to which in some way spoils it anyway, with the added dangers to themselves and any poor animal who happens to chomp on them and pays with its life!
Yes, of course they should be fined, but apart from a couple of isolated cases most are not because the authorities cannot be everywhere.
and again Yes, I absolutely wish the rules could be made more obvious at the gates, I have been advocating this for years but this is not done so rules do get transgressed.
and yes, there will still be the ones who will get out wherever anyway, signs or not but if maybe some are stopped by a sign then why not, they have signs at the bridges where you may get out anyway?

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:23 am 

Two weeks ago we came across a family of foreigners who were happily snapping photos out their vehicle on the bridge near Melalane.
The wife and small daughter couldn't understand a word of English, and we eventually managed to explain to the father that alighting from a vehicle is not allowed.
He was most indignant and very peed off, but did get back into the car, kind of arguing that its a bridge and its allowed!! :evil: :x
Bush Baptist - English speaking visitors can/should read and understand the rules in the leaflet.
How about the many overseas visitors who can't speak or read English?
Suggestions have been made on the forum to try and get the leaflet amended but I wonder if SANP has ever thought about foreigners not understanding English

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:14 am 

@ Elsa

Last year in KNP we came across this which I think is the same bridge you refer to.

And this was on the same bridge 2 days earlier with no regard to blocking the traffic behind them. The occupants of both Prada's had alighted :evil: :sniper:

I think I would think twice before getting out of my vehicle on a bridge even if it's allowed. You never know whats lurking around...

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:42 am 

First of all this is a very nice discussion.
Thanks for that, forumites.

My opinion:
- if i am travelling to a foreign country I should be able to speak the countries official language or at least a language which is very common.
So travelling to Southern and Eastern Africa means you should be able to speak English (if you are travelling by yourself and not as a member of an organised tour, that´s a different story).
- before entering a National Park in Africa you should sign an indemnity form (like the one you have to sign when you book a game drive with the Park Rangers).
It is necessary that people become aware that they get killed at any time while being in a National Park - a snake bite, a wounded leopard, an elephant in musth etc.
Yes, it is unlikely but it it is possible.
I think most of the people don´t even know what it means to enter a conservation area.
But if people have to sign an indemnity form where the risks are mentioned people might think a bit more about it.
I don´t know if this would help, it is just an idea.

Whenever I alight from my vehicle on a bridge (where i am allowed to alight from the car) or at a hide or view point I am absolutely aware that something could happen.
But I take the risk as i think it is worth it.

I see the point of adding extra signs at a bridge.
But if we start putting up signs at bridges saying that your are not allowed to alight from your vehicle we have to put up more signs everywhere.
For example at the no entry roads.
There should be signs then that not entry means you are not allowed to drive on that road.
And honestly - if people don´t want to read and stick to the rules more signs wouldn't change anything.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:39 am 

Quote:
before entering a National Park in Africa you should sign an indemnity form (like the one you have to sign when you book a game drive with the Park Rangers). It is necessary that people become aware that they get killed at any time while beeing in a National Park

I noticed in the reservations home page that there seems to be a new gate registration form that we will be filling in which does indeed have an indemnity on it but unfortunately nothing about the rules which I guess will still be in the pamphlet given to you as you enter.

Here

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:46 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Here

It is already there - on the till slip stapled into your permit - but I have yet to see one which was signed. Seems the gate staff have not been made aware of it!

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:48 pm 

Ok interesting, So EJ, are you are saying that this new registration form with indemnity is now being stapled into the entry pamphlet, as when we were there in June we only had a till strip stapled onto the entry pamphlet at both the Croc bridge and Malelane gates?
We were still using the old gates forms which they kept.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Elsa and Ecojunkie,

I had to sign a form at Phalaborwa gate in March 2012 declaring that I am aware of all the rule. Maybe they do have it in place at other gates but do not explain as well as in the case of Phalaborwa.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:33 am 

These pictures were taken on Saturday from Lower camp.
The guy on the left is also holding a small kid in his arms. :wall:

All in camp, including staff, could see these guys out of their car for 25 minutes, but they drove off without an official vehicle arriving.
Hopefully someone reported their registration.

Rules only remain rules if they are enforced

Post subject: Disembarking on permitted bridges
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:00 pm 

Hi all,

What is the situation with disembarking on marked/authorised bridges since the rain ? I have heard that regardless of this years floods that the practice has been stopped due to irresponsible people ???? Discuss please !

Post subject: Re: Disembarking on permitted bridges
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:30 pm 

I am in Kruger right now, and I have been disembarking away to my heart's content :D (on bridges one may do so)

Perhaps the confusion comes from the fact some signs might have washed away? Over the Olifants, the one sign is still intact, but the other is gone.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just been in KNP and can disembark on Letaba bridge as well but at your own risk - like Olifants bridge.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ecojunkie wrote:
There are no bridges in the south of the park where you can get out anyway. The furthest south bridge allowing you to get out between yellow lines is Olifants.
What about the H12 bridge over the Sabie River? Used to be a popular spot to stretch one's legs.

Johan

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ecojunkie wrote:
Not allowed. No sign and no yellow lines for at least 8 years!

Sjoe! Goes to show how long ago I visited the south.

Actually it was not that long ago, but I now recall that we always stopped on the bridge for sundowners, when everybody else was already well on the way back to camp. Just the baboons, hippos and us.

Johan